Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Squeaky Dakars : Any advice from others with the Dakars ?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Squeaky Dakars : Any advice from others with the Dakars ?

As the title suggests , I have the Dakars on my '09 DCLB , they have been on the truck for about 2 weeks , one side has started to squeak a bit , I pressure washed any grime outta them and that solved the problem for a couple days but now that side has a slight squeak again .

All of the silencer pads are still there and the factory grease is all present and accounted for , the squeak seems to be coming from the front just behind the mounting eye , in between the top 2 leaves . The new bushings were lubricated with a rubber friendly grease on install .

I have seen the sticky for squeaky leafs but was wondering if there are any Dakar specific things I could try or maybe overlooked .

The squeak is not that big a deal to me , but if it wasn't there I would enjoy that a bit more .

Discuss

EDIT : my solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Update :

The spray Motorcycle chain lube seems to work great between the flat sections of the leafs .

Where I was getting a squeak that kept coming back was where the second leaf down from the top wraps the front hanger connection .

At first I thought it was the bushing in the front but it is outside the bushing , there is no isolator in this location .

I tried a variation on the bicycle innertube squeaky leaf fix and pried apart my leafs here by driving a screwdriver in between them .

I got some EPDM rubber pond liner , which is thicker material than the innertube , cut some 2" wide strips and worked it up in there where the wrap rests metal on metal .

Guess what ?

Silence .

It is pinched in there pretty good , I will leave them in there and see how it goes and how long they survive and report back .

Quote:
OK , update

This arrangement seems to work really well in normal conditions , I can't say how well it would work if you were really flexing the pack but for me , the silence is bliss .

I got the 2" strip of EPDM pond liner between the top leaf and the one wrapping the front bushing . I then spread the next leaf set down apart and tucked the long ends of the EPDM strip in between them .

So far , in the last couple weeks , it hasn't moved at all .

Old 05-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
beaver grease?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmonkey View Post
beaver grease?
I'm trying to actually have a serious thread here , thank you .
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm trying to actually have a serious thread here , thank you .
I know, i just wanted to add that, and this explaining that.

OIG
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
jjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to behold

Name: Big Daddy Woo Woo
jjbeenken's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy's stock leaf with an aal started squeaking, I'm wondering if those shackle bolts needed chassis greeez?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
Pressure washed the springs? Possibly forced grime into spring, and washed out some grease. Can't you compress the spring by driving on an offset incline and lube the leaf once it begins to flatten out?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
subbed, i dont have dakars but my leaf squeak on every little bump i go over, its super annoying!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
just wondering, wouldnt it be the same as a factory leaf squeak? (i know you put different ones in there) mine squeaks too, pretty bad actually. i have some dupont synthetic grease that may end up in them.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals
Blumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Blumpkinson's Tacoma Gallery
I have Dakars on my 1st gen, they have been squeaking since the first time i took it offroad. It's probably just all the sand that gets stuck between the leafs. I've tried pressure washing it too, but it eventually comes back. It has gotten noticeably less noisy after breaking them in (i might just be use to the sound by now though).

Just turn the music up or use it as an excuse for an aftermarket exhaust .
Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
skeeert
CopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kins
CopyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
While not the Dakar's, my 2" AAL from Toytec squeaked like crazy over the smallest speed bumps etc. and was incredibly annoying. It finally went away when I took my truck to an OHV park for the first time and got some real flexing going on for a few hours. After that trip the squeaking has gone completely away. Worth a shot and you might have some fun while doing it
Old 05-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
Pressure washed the springs? Possibly forced grime into spring, and washed out some grease. Can't you compress the spring by driving on an offset incline and lube the leaf once it begins to flatten out?
I'm just talking about one of those car wash sprays not a real pressure washer .
Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyTaco View Post
While not the Dakar's, my 2" AAL from Toytec squeaked like crazy over the smallest speed bumps etc. and was incredibly annoying. It finally went away when I took my truck to an OHV park for the first time and got some real flexing going on for a few hours. After that trip the squeaking has gone completely away. Worth a shot and you might have some fun while doing it
Mine were quiet until it rained and I was travelling on a dirt road , lots of fine mud under there
Old 05-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I read a thread that suggested that the bushings that come with the Dakars are squeak culprits and should be replaced with OEM ones .

Anybody done this ?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
I think the front bushing comes pressed in from OME, I don't know if you can change it or not. I haven't had any squeaks on mine and I've had it offroading a few times and gotten some dirt in there. I used the poly bushings in the rear and usually clean the mud off after wheeling.

You could try the regular leaf squeak fix and add a strip of tube from a bike tire between the leafs?
The front bushing is pressed in from OME , but if it is the same diameter as the rear you should be able to replace them with the ones used on the rear eyes , no ?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As long as it's same diameter eye hole yes, I would imagine it is. Getting the front pressed in one out would be a bear though, drilling, hacking I would think. I'd make sure it's coming from the bushing and not the leafs before you take on that sorta task.
Agreed

What did you torque your hanger bolts to ? I've also read that they can be the source of the squeak if over cooked .
Old 05-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #16
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As the title suggests , I have the Dakars on my '09 DCLB , they have been on the truck for about 2 weeks , one side has started to squeak a bit , I pressure washed any grime outta them and that solved the problem for a couple days but now that side has a slight squeak again .

All of the silencer pads are still there and the factory grease is all present and accounted for , the squeak seems to be coming from the front just behind the mounting eye , in between the top 2 leaves . The new bushings were lubricated with a rubber friendly grease on install .

I have seen the sticky for squeaky leafs but was wondering if there are any Dakar specific things I could try or maybe overlooked .

The squeak is not that big a deal to me , but if it wasn't there I would enjoy that a bit more .

Discuss
It's the front bushing. You can do one of two things.
1. live with it
2. replace the bushings (with oem or aftermarket)

I find they are fine when they are wet and they are fine when they are dry. Anywhere in-between and they squawk like a mother. If you stick your head by the front bushings and rock the truck you will find that is the source.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
As an add-on I've have chose to live with the squeak as there are only a few short months here where is doesn't rain.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #19
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
try 'sea foam deep creep' oz, one of the garage crew had success with it on his leaf packs
Old 05-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think about 90 ft-lbs if I remember. I torqued all the shackle bolts last after the truck was sitting on the ground off the lift, this way I didn't bind the bushing in a weird position when tightening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK27 View Post
try 'sea foam deep creep' oz, one of the garage crew had success with it on his leaf packs
Thanks

Products Discussed in this Thread