LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

HELP: Rear Shock Problems

Old 05-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
green01 is a name known to allgreen01 is a name known to allgreen01 is a name known to allgreen01 is a name known to allgreen01 is a name known to allgreen01 is a name known to all
Name: Eric
green01's Tacoma Gallery
HELP: Rear Shock Problems

Hey guys, i purchased a pair of Skyjacker 8000 Nitro Shocks from Autoanything.com a year ago. the past year the suspension has been extreamly rough, enough that both shocks are blown now and have leaked a lot of oil. I believe that i have recieved the wrong set of shocks but both the disturber and manufacturer disagree.

With the truck sitting level i only have 1.5inch of shock showing, i can bottom the shock out my pushing down on rear of truck. Currently the shock sits 16.25inches eye to eye (drivers rear).
What do you guys think?

2001 4x4 non trd, recalled frame. oem leafs replaced with frame
Old 05-11-2011, 05:59 AM   #2
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
gah...seems like you should have more than 1" up travel.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #4
green01 is a name known to allgreen01 is a name known to allgreen01 is a name known to allgreen01 is a name known to allgreen01 is a name known to allgreen01 is a name known to all
green01's Tacoma Gallery
The plan is to get new shocks but i want to make sure they fit... the truck is still sitting level in the rear. Does anyone know the spec that my truck should have for a shock?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
what about 5100 rears?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
hellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
hellrazor004's Tacoma Gallery
Eric - has to be from all the mudding in NH a month back. Sounds like you should lift it, and then let me know when you want to go back out.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
x2

or 5125's.........PM DownSouthMotorsports and they will make sure you get the right shock for your application.
5125s might be a little too long for his application
Old 05-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
No way can that shock be the correct length.

I assume you have not lowered your truck.

It has to contact the shock body any time it moves more than 1" lower than it is sitting empty.

Go to the shock company and check the part numbers they show with what is on the shock.
Deal with the mfg. not the place you bought them from.

Put 400 lbs in the back and take a pic before and after it will be sitting on the shock body.

Get some billies or even the stock shocks on after the pics before they break.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:32 AM   #9
green01's Tacoma Gallery
i have been dealing with the manufacturer, he says the part number on the shock is the correct shock for my truck. The specs for the shock that's currently installed is Collapsed length: 14.82in Extended 24.84in Stroke 10in
Old 05-11-2011, 06:32 AM   #10
wtmtntaco is on a distinguished road

wtmtntaco's Tacoma Gallery
??

So, I just went out and checked my truck, bilstein 5100's from RCD as per the sticker on them. The drivers side has about 2.5" of exposed shaft at rest with a resting length of 16", it also looks like it let go as there was oil in the bottom of the boot. The passenger side has 4 inches of exposed shaft with an 18.5" overall length at rest (eye to eye). The body of the drivers side is 11.25" length and the pass side is 12" in length. Don't know if that helps you Eric but thats what I got.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #11

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You know they come in different lengths right?
yeah but from what i remember 5125s were available for lifted applications and hes running stock everything in the rear from what i can tell
Old 05-11-2011, 06:43 AM   #12

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
so?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
green01's Tacoma Gallery
I PMed downsouth.. my rear suspension is stock besides these shocks. i went out and took measurements, thanks Rolf for the help, mine numbers are different.

Both shocks are the same part number so they both have the same body length.
Drivers Rear: Exposed 1.5", Body 13", Eye to Eye 16"
Pass Rear: Exposed 2.5", Body 13", Eye to Eye 18
Old 05-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #14
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by green01 View Post
i have been dealing with the manufacturer, he says the part number on the shock is the correct shock for my truck. The specs for the shock that's currently installed is Collapsed length: 14.82in Extended 24.84in Stroke 10in
10" stroke is too much for a stock height truck. Just get some 5100s they are good for 0-2 inches of lift and the only difference between them and the 5125s is that the 5100s already have the lengths figured out for you.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
green01's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all help and info guys. Just ordered a set from Marco at Down South Motorsports, he was a big help and knew just want i needed. Ordered Bilstein 5125 shock with 8.13" Travel on the driver side, and the 8.6" Travel on the passenger side.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
uhhhh..........that's because it's blown to shit

uhhhhh........... just because its blowing fluid all over hell don't mean the shock tube is going to all but disappear, his springs would have to have a negative arc that'd almost touch the ground, look at it, the shock tube is about 2" exposed on level ground, I don't know what the fuck they go on but I'm betting it isn't a Toyota..
Old 05-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #17
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for all help and info guys. Just ordered a set from Marco at Down South Motorsports, he was a big help and knew just want i needed. Ordered Bilstein 5125 shock with 8.13" Travel on the driver side, and the 8.6" Travel on the passenger side.

Good choice on the Billies , you're gonna luv'em. Not to be redundant bro'. I think you'll want to put the longer shock on the pass.side & the shorter one (obliviously) on the driverside...
Old 05-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #19
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As an after thought you tell the guy at the parts house he's full of shit....
Old 05-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #20
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
These dimensions are for applications with 3" of lift.
Yep, I just researched these shocks for my planned 3" lift and they are listed for lifts of up to 3.5" and therefore the salesman is on crack.