1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Spring/Payload Improvement

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Rooster Feather, May 11, 2011.

1. May 11, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    Rooster Feather

Rooster Feather [OP] Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 SR5 4x4
    So....I was completely ready to by an AAL and front suspension components from ToyTec. Even had my credit card in hand. I just had a few questions, and the associate threw a wrench in the mix.

My concern on my 07' Double Cab Tacoma is increased payload and try not to ruin my ride. Not increase the payload a bunch, but it would be nice to load a couple hundred lbs of horse feed in the back and not have it bottom out. I bought the pickup used with 70K miles (past the TSB warranty) and the previous owners did not have the new TSB springs put on. So I only have the 2 leaf springs with 1 overload.

I don't mind lifting the truck some, but want to keep it minimal. ToyTec told me that the AAL would only increase my payload 50-100lbs. That is not hardly worth it. He even suggested the post TSB Toyota springs as an option.

Can I purchase the "new and improved" TSB spring from Toyota? If so, does that increase the payload? And....does it change the ride and increase the height?

What are my options here? Bottoming out sucks!

Craig

2. May 11, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    you would be better off getting a new leaf pack or the wheeler 3 leaf aal. pack
    or something silular

3. May 11, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    I would suggest the 3 Leaf AAL set along with a set of Timbrens for when you are loaded.

4. May 11, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Just to be clear, you can't increase the vehicles payload, you can only improve how it handles the weight when loaded.

You can buy a set of post-TSB springs from the dealership but it will be expensive as hell (probably in the $500+ range for parts only). You could find a new or slightly used set on here and install them yourself or have a shop do the swap for you. The back end will sit a little higher unloaded and it will ride firmer but it will handle weight much better. If you're going to buy new leaf springs new, I'd go with a custom set from Alcan, not the Toyota set. You can tell Alcan specifically what you tow/haul and they'll make a set for you (or you could use a local spring shop).

Or, as listed above, go with an AAL or some sort, the 3-leaf progressive ones are nice!

Another option would be air bags. You could keep your factory leafs, fill the air bags when you want to carry something and could adjust your ride height when loaded or unloaded.

5. Aug 22, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    CanisLupus

CanisLupus Member since 2011

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Stokesdale | NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 Honda Civic Hatchback
    Big thread revive here, but didn't want to make another thread on basically the same question.

Does a AAL help with haul weights? I recently hauled some wood, metal and tiles for my uncle to the dump and noticed my truck really sagged. I do have the TSB for the rear leaf but am planning on adding OME 884's to my Bilstein 5100's and the 1.5'' Toytec TSB AAL in the future. Would this help at all with the sagging and such?

6. Aug 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    It does help as I am running a 1.5" AAL with the TSB pack and I haul loads in my trailer on a regular basis. Does it help alot? No, but if you are planning on hauling heavy loads on a consistent basis I would invest in some airbags or Timbrens at the very least.

7. Aug 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    guntoter

guntoter Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    Flux Capacitor, Pine tree air freshener.
    I noticed the OP said the springs he was looking at would only increase his payload 50-100 pounds. I wonder if the sales guy was reading the "spring rate" because 50 pounds overall capacity would not even be measurable.

FYI for those who may not understand the difference in spring rate and overall spring capacity. "Spring rate" is measured by how many pounds it takes to push the spring down 1 inch. So a 400 pound spring with 1200 pounds on it would sag 3 inches. "Spring capacity" is the overall max weight the manufacturer says you can put on it.

8. Aug 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    CanisLupus

CanisLupus Member since 2011

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Stokesdale | NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 Honda Civic Hatchback
    Ah. Thanks for the help guys. I don't plan on hauling a lot but I really don't want to have it look like the truck is taking a dump when I haul relatively medium weighted loads.

Matt

9. Aug 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    If you are on a budget you could try helper springs like the helwig 550 or these cheaper versions from advance auto:
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...autocraft_10053619-p?searchTerm=helper+spring

I just put these on and they really work well, a lot better than the price would make it seem. They make the ride just a very small amount stiffer but definetly help the sagging. I put a load of pine logs in the back 2 days ago with the stock springs and the ride home was I little scary, it was swaying a lot and I could notice the sag from the drivers seat. I bought the helper springs and installed them and went back today to get another load of pine. This time I had probably 1 1/2 times the amount of logs plus my wheelbarrow and it didn't sag nearly as much, plus the ride home wasn't bad at all.

Products Discussed in

To Top