1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cab Mount Chopped, Not Boxed?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bryan139, May 11, 2011.

1. May 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    Bryan139

Bryan139 [OP] I have a spectacular aura

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport
    I cut some wires here. Added some wires there.
    I'm doing my homework on 285's. I'm not afraid of the cab mount chop like some guys understandably are, my problem would be I don't weld. I don't have the equipment and even if I borrowed it I wouldn't know what to do with it. From what I've been reading, there are guys out there that did the chop and never welded a plate. I think I saw ColtsTRD was one? Somebody with ATO in thier sig was another? I can contemplate pro's and con's all day long, I want to hear actuals. Has anybody actually had a problem because they didn't box it back up after the chop? I read where one shop was telling a guy he'd shred a tire if he turned at high speeds, has that actually happened? I figure the point of the chop is to not hit it anymore, if you're shredding tires you didn't chop enough.

2. May 11, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    I would cap it. Can't be that hard to find a buddy, or run down to a shop somewhere and have them weld it up for you.

3. May 11, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.

X2 I would box it in

4. May 11, 2011 at 3:31 PM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    mines not boxed in on my 4runner.. but i barely rubbed it. but now i dont at all even offroad

5. May 13, 2011 at 2:18 AM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    i did my cab mount chop and pinch weld mod to fit my 285's on 17x9 pro comp's. defintely work the 1/2 hrs shop rate to box them in. Looks factory again minus the rub.

Products Discussed in

To Top