Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

To block or not to block, that is my dilemna...

Old 05-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #1
TacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Billyson
TacoBS's Tacoma Gallery
To block or not to block, that is my dilemna...

Morning folks,

I'm tossing over this one...

I recently traded an '07 access cab 4x4 for an '11 double cab 4x4 for family accommodation reasons. I was heartbroken when got rid of the access cab (great truck), but was quickly relieved by the drive quality and ability to now go to and fro with the family.

My problem is that I have a favorite surf spot that requires a bit of negotiation to access. With the access cab I never had any issues scraping or bottoming out when going there, but with the longer wheel base on the double cab I scrape on the middle of the frame when going over the final rise.

I can't afford an elaborate lift for about a year or so. I am thinking of just putting in a 2" block up front with an AAL in back to suffice until I can muster the funds for a Toytec ULK or something of that nature. Pretty sure that the blocks will give the distance I need because it only scrapes for about a foot or so along the frame.

Ultimately all I want for the truck is 3".

I know blocking is not the way to go, but I don't mind shelling out the few hundred now to be able to access my favorite spot without bottoming out. My worry however is that the block may ultimately damage something over the year or so while I save for something real deal, which I really don't want to happen.

The block system I'm looking at is solid, laser-cut steel and warrantied for life, so I'm not worried about the parts failing but rather what it will do to my truck.

What are your thoughts? Any insight is appreciated.

And I realize there are million threads about the negativity of blocks, but in searching I couldn't find anything that really conceptualized my dilemma...so I apologize for the redundancy of the block issue.

A sincere thank you!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
ran my 3" over the strut spacer since 2005 without any damage or issues. Had 3.5" blocks out back as well for a few years and now using AAL.

Never had any problems. It sounds as if what you are doing with them isn't going to break anything either.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
w4lter is on a distinguished road
w4lter's Tacoma Gallery
I would say blocks are fine, except that I don't think it will fix your problem. If you're scraping, you need to raise the frame relative to the axles for more clearance and blocks don't do that. Someone feel free to jump in and correct me if im wrong. Bilstien shocks and an aal are probably you're cheapest route. You'll get about 2.5" and you likely won't need the ULC if you're satisfies with it.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
TacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Are you talking about body lift block, or a spacer lift? There is a big difference. Either one is not great, but many people run spacer lifts with no issues. Toytec has a spacer kit for a few hundred:

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Yeah, sorry for being unclear. I'm talking spacer lift.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #5

TacoBS's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys for the input. It helps for sure.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
I HATE IT when some one chimes in that spacers preload your coils!!!! Not the OVER the strut type we are talking about! Adjustable 5100 preload coils and so does revtec.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #7

TacoBS's Tacoma Gallery
Is the "over the coil" spacer inserted between the spring and strut or is that the "within the coil" spacer? I assume it is the over the coil.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Go with 5100s up front instead of spacers, the 5100s are just a little more expensive but are the right way to lift your truck vs spacers.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #9

TacoBS's Tacoma Gallery
Between 5100's and spacers, which would increase CV angles more? If possible, I would like to keep angles to a minimum until I can do it right (with proper coil-overs and diff drop if needed.)

Forgive the ignorance, but that is why I am here... to learn from those more experienced
Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBS View Post
Between 5100's and spacers, which would increase CV angles more? If possible, I would like to keep angles to a minimum until I can do it right (with proper coil-overs and diff drop if needed.)

Forgive the ignorance, but that is why I am here... to learn from those more experienced
5100s, spacers and coilovers all will increase the cv angles. If the 5100s, spacers, and coilovers give you 3" of lift the cv angles will be the same. The cv angles is increased by the amount of lift the setup gives you, not what setup you choose.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
Air Force:
Well, the 2 biggest thing for you right now is price and getting over a mound. So, get a over the strut spacer cause it doesn't require you to rent or buy a coil compressor to install and they are really cheap. The rear no matter what you get will require longer brake line and longer shocks plus it's more work lifting the rear no matter whether you use blocks or AAL. Get blocks or AAL either way...though you may want to get the AAL since you may just leave them on when you upgrade later.

after that save up and read about the different options for you and see what you want. Whether it's OME's, 5100, or coil overs.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #12

TacoBS's Tacoma Gallery
^thx
Old 05-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
There are two kinds of spacer lifts, the OP did not specify which kind (over the coil or within the coil). Yes the over the coil spacers will just increase the overall length of your coilover assembly, you will not gain any additional wheel travel and will most likely bind the UCA at full droop. If you choose a spacer lift of any kind, wheeling hard can cause things to break moreso than a more expensive coilover type lift.
good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brelandt View Post
Well, the 2 biggest thing for you right now is price and getting over a mound. So, get a over the strut spacer cause it doesn't require you to rent or buy a coil compressor to install and they are really cheap. The rear no matter what you get will require longer brake line and longer shocks plus it's more work lifting the rear no matter whether you use blocks or AAL. Get blocks or AAL either way...though you may want to get the AAL since you may just leave them on when you upgrade later.

after that save up and read about the different options for you and see what you want. Whether it's OME's, 5100, or coil overs.
Not so good info.

You dont need longer brake lines for the rear or longer shocks. My first set up was a basic toytec coil spacer and AAL kit, using factory sr5 rear shocks and factory length brake lines...no issues for 2 years wheeling in southern Idaho.

You can get an AAL for the rear that will suit your needs just fine and they are priced pretty resonably. For the front I would just get the billy 5100's. LOTS of people on here run them and really like them
Old 05-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #14

TacoBS's Tacoma Gallery
thx zombie!
Old 05-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
Air Force:
I don't think stock shocks will reach? I have a 1st gen so that maybe the difference? But my shock mounts with AAL are 20" passenger and 16 on driver and the new KYB shocks I bought that is suppose to be good for a 2" lift is barely long enough. Only 1" of down travel.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #16
tb99trd is on a distinguished road

Name: Tom
tb99trd's Tacoma Gallery
im trying to figure out what surf spot you're talking about...
Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #17

TacoBS's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure you know it Tom. It's no secret...it's just how I park to get away from everybody that is the fun part.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #18
tb99trd is on a distinguished road

Name: Tom
tb99trd's Tacoma Gallery
nice
Old 05-13-2011, 05:25 AM   #19
timmah is on a distinguished road

timmah's Tacoma Gallery
I lifted mine with spacers and blocks. Its OK. I like you, needed just a little more clearance for a couple of my favorite fishing spots and mines just a pre-runner. No serious wheeling. I also was on a budget. ORU spacer kit was only like 90 bucks shipped. BDS 2" blocks and u-bolts for 88 bucks and the stock shocks worked but, put BDS shocks on too for and extra 90 bucks. Hope this helps. I did order EMU driveshaft drop. Haven't put it on yet. Oh yeah I drive 75 miles round trip a day with no issues, except needing an alignment when I was done.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:58 AM   #20
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
what is BDS and ORU?