Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Stuffing 33" tires

Old 05-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Stuffing 33" tires

I have spent many hours reading threads on 33" tires. I like the 255/85/r16 size tire, because I don't have to fool around with new wheels or spacers.

But will they fully stuff without any rubbing issues with a 3" lift?

Here is my plan:

• 3" lift (brand agnostic right now)
  • 255/85/r16 size tire
  • Stock wheels

Below is a pic of the factory rubber, i'm just wondering if they'll rub or will I have to make any adjustments in the front or the rear.

If you have any pics of your 33" tires stuffed in the rear, please post them up.

Thanks.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
the backspacing of your stock wheels are gonna be a issue...they won't push the tire out away from the truck enough...so you'll have some rubbing issues, mainly on the frame (cab mounts) and inside your fenders....nothing TOO crazy. Get the cab mounts chopped and use a pair of tin snips to clean up inside the wheel well
Old 05-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Sheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sheppy
Sheppymach's Tacoma Gallery
check my pics im running 285/70-17 (33's) almost 3" lift no problems
Old 05-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
You should be fine with proper backspacing in the front. You will be fine in the rear.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
the backspacing of your stock wheels are gonna be a issue...they won't push the tire out away from the truck enough...so you'll have some rubbing issues, mainly on the frame (cab mounts) and inside your fenders....nothing TOO crazy. Get the cab mounts chopped and use a pair of tin snips to clean up inside the wheel well
Not sure if you read my first post all the way through. I plan to run the 255/85/r16 size tire. This is a more narrow tire than stock, therefore based on others reported experience I don't think I'll experience the the rubbing issues like the more common wider 285/70/r16 size tires.

My goal is to fit the tires with zero problems at all angles, (full lock, and full compression) and I plan on keeping the stock wheels.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
285/70R17s with Dakar Leaf Pack - no rubbing --barely
Old 05-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Not sure if you read my first post all the way through. I plan to run the 255/85/r16 size tire. This is a more narrow tire than stock, therefore based on others reported experience I don't think I'll experience the the rubbing issues like the more common wider 285/70/r16 size tires.

My goal is to fit the tires with zero problems at all angles, (full lock, and full compression) and I plan on keeping the stock wheels.
You can still rub on the frame because your backspacing is too high.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
Based on your post of wanting to run 255/85R16 (33.067" diameter), and mine being at 32.7", I think you will clear the rear. Since you are running a narrow tire, the front should be no issue at all. I barely rub the upper control arm at full lock and stuffed.

---

For the record, I did break a bunch of tabs off of my front fender flares when wheeling though. I have removed the fronts and live with the holes now. They rubbed when stuffed and eventually I broke some tabs off. I have become accustomed to the way it looks with the holes and wouldn't go back now.