LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Could I use Fabtech Tundra Coils on my Taco?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Could I use Fabtech Tundra Coils on my Taco?

I was at my favorite machanic's shop the other day just talking prices about random stuff and he ended up offering me some coils he had lying around the garage from when they took them off a Tundra. Since he was giving them to me for free, I took them and figured I could just sell them if I can't use them for myself. I looked at them more closely when I got home and realized they are actually from Fabtech coilovers because they are flat on the ends. They are FT 2400s meant for 00-06 Tundras.

My question is: can I still use these on my truck?

Right now I see 3 possible uses for them:

1 Use a grinder (not sure if this would work) to chop the ends and make them 15" long (like eibachs) instead of 17" and use them with my Bilstien 5100s on the lowest setting. Would using a grinder ruin them? I measeared the width as best I could and they are the same (if not very close) to the width of my stock coils and should sit nicely on the billies.

2 Purchase the shock part of the coilover and use them as actual coilovers. The possible problem with this is that they are meant for a 00-06 Tundra and would be too stiff or not fit. Plus, can I even get the shock part of the coilover by itself? I can't seem find anything online that sells them seperately.

3 Stick with my original plan. Sell them and use eibachs on the billies. I know this is the best option but I am also considering money in this whole equation.

I'm leaning towards #3 but it would be awesome if I could do #1 and save a little money. Thanks for your opinions and ideas.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
#3.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
#3.
Bummer... Twas what I thought.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Tactical Trunk Monkey
Celtic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Nick
Celtic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Celtic Send a message via Yahoo to Celtic
Yes a grinder will ruin the tempering of the steel. If you were chopping springs for a Civic I wouldn't care, but please not on a Tacoma. Safety first!

I agree with chris4x4... #3
Old 05-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
3# is the best choice but I'm running 1st gen Tundra adjustable 5100's & have been told that 1st gen Tundra coils will work also but I haven't really investigated it myself yet..
Old 05-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
3# is the best choice but I'm running 1st gen Tundra adjustable 5100's & have been told that 1st gen Tundra coils will work also but I haven't really investigated it myself yet..
Yeah, I've actually read your build thread begining to end and I thought I could do a little custom suspension modding myself. haha I do love your build btw.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
Yeah, I've actually read your build thread begining to end and I thought I could do a little custom suspension modding myself. haha I do love your build btw.
Hey thanks Silas, much appreciated, I'm ready for some front coils myself & the 1st gen Tundra's coils deserve a little more research, so I'll do some poking around & find out what the skinny is on this particular MOD....
Old 05-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Über Posre

Found this. Looks like someone else has tried cutting their fabtech coils before... interesting.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...coils-cut.html
Old 05-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Numero tres.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
Über Posre

Quote:
Hey thanks Silas, much appreciated, I'm ready for some front coils myself & the 1st gen Tundra's coils deserve a little more research, so I'll do some poking around & find out what the skinny is on this particular MOD....
haha Cool. I'm doing more research too. I look foward to seeing what you come up with for your coils!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hell YES!