Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100's vs OME vs stock down travel question

Old 05-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
asolo is on a distinguished road
asolo's Tacoma Gallery
5100's vs OME vs stock down travel question

I remember somewhere (might have been a sticky) that if you install the 5100's you will be limited to 1" of down travel. If this is correct, what are the down travel limits of the OME complete kit and stock stocks?

I'm trying to decide if I should just get the 5100's and set them at 1.75 with the rear TSB or go for the whole enchilada and get the OME setup. I understand the ride will be different but 2-2.75" of lift is my goal. I think OZ-T's setup is perfect!

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Bird is on a distinguished road

Name: Jay
Bird's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Internet Winner
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
then just run the same set up as him if you like it
Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on how much lift you go for, is what decides the amount of down travel
Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
asolo's Tacoma Gallery
How much down travel do I have stock?
How much travel would I have if I put 5100s at 1.75 with stock coils?
How much down travel would I have if I put the complete OME with no spacers?

I would just like to know mostly how much I am limiting my down travel on various lift setups vs stock.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I think stock is 4 inches so if you go for a full 3 inch lift you will only have an inch of downtravel.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
The overall travel of the front suspension remains essentially the same. 5100s, and OME, when at the same lift height will have basically the same available downtravel, and up travel.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Are you getting a cap , or hauling material ?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
asolo's Tacoma Gallery
Hauling material only occasionally. I'd like to add a cap eventually but it will prob be a few years.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Stock travel is about 8" right? So if you lift your truck 3", wouldnt you be taking away 3" of travel leaving you with 5"?

I've always been a little confused about this myself also.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
asolo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
5100's in the rear are not long enough for a TSB pack with an AAL...just an FYI. Get 5110's or similar. I am not happy with the lack of travel of my 5100's in the rear at all.
That's good to know. The last thing I want is to put a bunch of time/money researching this and find out afterward that I'm unhappy with the setup
Old 05-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #14
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by asolo View Post
Hauling material only occasionally. I'd like to add a cap eventually but it will prob be a few years.
Are you gonna get the Dakars or an AAL ?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
asolo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Are you gonna get the Dakars or an AAL ?
This is one of my sticking points. I'm leaning towards 'no' on the dekars but I'm all ears at this point! I think I should get an AAL. Do I really need one with either the 5100/stock coil or the OME setup if I have the TSB? Are they really worth it?

Btw, your truck is my desktop background! No headache rack for me but I love the look of your truck. I imagine I'll have to get the Dynapro AT's instead of the MT's though based on research on the forum.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
5100's in the rear are not long enough for a TSB pack with an AAL...just an FYI. Get 5110's or similar. I am not happy with the lack of travel of my 5100's in the rear at all.
Wasn't aware of this... Don't mean to thread jack but now I'm curious, I've got 5100's on the back with the TSB pack and a 1.5" 3-leaf AAL without any issues. I'm guessing you mean at full droop or when flexing the suspension my shock would be carrying the axle instead of the leaf pack?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #17
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by asolo View Post
This is one of my sticking points. I'm leaning towards 'no' on the dekars but I'm all ears at this point! I think I should get an AAL. Do I really need one with either the 5100/stock coil or the OME setup if I have the TSB? Are they really worth it?

Btw, your truck is my desktop background! No headache rack for me but I love the look of your truck. I imagine I'll have to get the Dynapro AT's instead of the MT's though based on research on the forum.
I was going to say that the Dakars are awesome if you haul material a lot , but if you don't , the rear is pretty stiff unloaded .

The cap I have on is just enough weight to keep them engaged .

If I was to do it again , for my needs , I would probably get the Hankook AT's instead of the MT's
Old 05-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #19
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We are running the same exact set up and you are 100% correct. The 5100's are short and hold the axle up. This problem absolutely blows with a Sport model when one tire is in the air spinning.

I should of gotten the aal and then measured for shocks instead of ordering Toyota specific 5100's. When I blow them out Ill get new ones (warranty) and then sell them and get 5110's, 5125's, or maybe 5150's after measuring full droop and stuff.
Damn, shoulda done my homework before getting the 5100's... I kept the overload in also so I've got another 1/2" block essentially. Looks I'll have to keep an eye on them. I've got the SR5 so I'll have the same issue as the Sport (actually worse because no LSD). Thanks for the input!