Dakar Springs

Old 05-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
elk340 will become famous soon enough

Air Force:
Name: Justin
elk340's Tacoma Gallery
Dakar Springs

Hey guys,
Need your help on this one. I'm planning on getting a Toytec ULK and Light Racing UCAs and am planning on having a 200 lb topper on the back and during hunting seasons, I'll have hunting and camping equipment in the bed in addition to an an elk now and then.

1. What are your opinions on whether I should go with the 2" AAL option or "spring" for the Dakar springs based upon the weight I will have?

I have read a lot of threads and posts from people who say they have the Dakar pack but I couldn't find any that mention having the extra Dakar leaf that can be purchased separately.

2. If I went with the Dakar pack, should I get the extra leaf with what I plan to load in the bed? Do you feel it would even be necessary?

Thanks for all of your help!
Justin
Old 05-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
Get the dakar leaf pack and you should be all good. Although extra springs never hurt =)
Old 05-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
never summer
singlefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

singlefin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elk340 View Post
Hey guys,
Need your help on this one. I'm planning on getting a Toytec ULK and Light Racing UCAs and am planning on having a 200 lb topper on the back and during hunting seasons, I'll have hunting and camping equipment in the bed in addition to an an elk now and then.

1. What are your opinions on whether I should go with the 2" AAL option or "spring" for the Dakar springs based upon the weight I will have?

I have read a lot of threads and posts from people who say they have the Dakar pack but I couldn't find any that mention having the extra Dakar leaf that can be purchased separately.

2. If I went with the Dakar pack, should I get the extra leaf with what I plan to load in the bed? Do you feel it would even be necessary?

Thanks for all of your help!
Justin
Don't waste your time with the AAL if you can get the Dakar leaf pack now. I've read pretty mixed reviews on the dakars, and after a bit you may need that extra overload leaf after they start to sag. Its just the nature of it if you carry weight and get into negative arch. However you can order it later on if you end up needing it.

Another option is call ALCAN and order a leaf pack to your specs.

Expo leafs from All-Pro are another option.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need the extra leaf

My truck with the OME kit including the Dakars

Add the 200 lbs of cap weight , no ride height change

Old 05-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Valley Viking is on a distinguished road

Valley Viking's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with OZ (), the Dakars do a great job of carrying a load without the additional leaf. I don't have the cap but have hauled a quad and as much firewood as i could stuff in the back of my long bed while pulling a trailer full of quads and the Dakars hardly squatted at all. My stock springs would have been riding the bump stops with that load! Besides you can aways add the leaf later if you think you need it.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
elk340 will become famous soon enough

Air Force:
Name: Justin
elk340's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys for all of your advice! I was concerned about the extra leaf at first, but after seeing OZ-Ts truck with and without the cap, I am not as concerned about going without the extra leaf. As you all seem to mention, I can always get the extra Dakar leaf if I find that it is necessary. Again, thank you for helping a newbie!