1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dakar Springs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by elk340, May 17, 2011.

1. May 17, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    elk340

elk340 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Toytec ULK; OME Dakar leaf packs; Light Racing UCAs; OME carrier bearing drop; Toytec 3 degree axle shims; Toytec sway bar relocate kit; Toytec extended rear brake lines; ARE CX topper; BAMF rear differential skid; BAMF LCA skids; BAMF sliders; Budbuilt IFS, mid, transmission, and gas tank skids; HomerTaco mesh; River Rat 69 satoshi grille; Toyota Land Cruiser radiator grille emblem; tinted windows; Toyota all-weather floor mats; Toyota bedmat; I-Pod interface; block heater; ATO hi-lift bed rail mounts; HL-605 Hi-Lift; RotoPax 4-gallon gas can and bed rail mounts; mattgecko sliding window security bar; Sockmonkey decals.
    Hey guys,
    Need your help on this one. I'm planning on getting a Toytec ULK and Light Racing UCAs and am planning on having a 200 lb topper on the back and during hunting seasons, I'll have hunting and camping equipment in the bed in addition to an an elk now and then.

1. What are your opinions on whether I should go with the 2" AAL option or "spring" for the Dakar springs based upon the weight I will have?

I have read a lot of threads and posts from people who say they have the Dakar pack but I couldn't find any that mention having the extra Dakar leaf that can be purchased separately.

2. If I went with the Dakar pack, should I get the extra leaf with what I plan to load in the bed? Do you feel it would even be necessary?

Thanks for all of your help!
    Justin

2. May 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You do not need the extra leaf for the Dakars

3. May 17, 2011 at 9:11 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    Get the dakar leaf pack and you should be all good. Although extra springs never hurt =)

4. May 17, 2011 at 9:51 PM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    Don't waste your time with the AAL if you can get the Dakar leaf pack now. I've read pretty mixed reviews on the dakars, and after a bit you may need that extra overload leaf after they start to sag. Its just the nature of it if you carry weight and get into negative arch. However you can order it later on if you end up needing it.

Another option is call ALCAN and order a leaf pack to your specs.

Expo leafs from All-Pro are another option.

5. May 17, 2011 at 10:57 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You don't need the extra leaf

My truck with the OME kit including the Dakars

[​IMG]

Add the 200 lbs of cap weight , no ride height change

[​IMG]

p_chinnici likes this.
  6. May 18, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    Valley Viking

Valley Viking Well-Known Member

Member:
    Menlo, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB SR5
    OME 885 Coils, OME Dakar Rear Leafs, OME NitroCharger Shocks, LR UCA's, AFE ProDry Air Filter, Scanguage, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    I agree with OZ :)confused:), the Dakars do a great job of carrying a load without the additional leaf. I don't have the cap but have hauled a quad and as much firewood as i could stuff in the back of my long bed while pulling a trailer full of quads and the Dakars hardly squatted at all. My stock springs would have been riding the bump stops with that load! Besides you can aways add the leaf later if you think you need it.

7. May 18, 2011 at 5:23 PM
    elk340

elk340 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Toytec ULK; OME Dakar leaf packs; Light Racing UCAs; OME carrier bearing drop; Toytec 3 degree axle shims; Toytec sway bar relocate kit; Toytec extended rear brake lines; ARE CX topper; BAMF rear differential skid; BAMF LCA skids; BAMF sliders; Budbuilt IFS, mid, transmission, and gas tank skids; HomerTaco mesh; River Rat 69 satoshi grille; Toyota Land Cruiser radiator grille emblem; tinted windows; Toyota all-weather floor mats; Toyota bedmat; I-Pod interface; block heater; ATO hi-lift bed rail mounts; HL-605 Hi-Lift; RotoPax 4-gallon gas can and bed rail mounts; mattgecko sliding window security bar; Sockmonkey decals.
    Thanks guys for all of your advice! I was concerned about the extra leaf at first, but after seeing OZ-Ts truck with and without the cap, I am not as concerned about going without the extra leaf. As you all seem to mention, I can always get the extra Dakar leaf if I find that it is necessary. Again, thank you for helping a newbie!

Products Discussed in

To Top