Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

1.75" 5100 Install Yesterday...major dilemma with actual ride height

Old 05-18-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Dakota 08 is on a distinguished road
Dakota 08's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy 1.75" 5100 Install Yesterday...major dilemma with actual ride height

I need some help... I'm in somewhat of a panic due to my scheduled alignment tomorrow. Yesterday, I installed a the 1.5" Toytec AAL and the 5100s set at 1.75 and I am way nose high. Higher than I actually wanted to be. Will this settle?? Should I go down to the .85 setting??

I only need to make room for 265/75/16s and I do have an ARE canopy w/a rack on the bed.

Also, and I understand this happens with a compressed spring, but it rides really stiff. Will that improve with an alignment?? How much of it is due to the TRD Off Road springs on my truck??

Thanks
Old 05-18-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
take a pic of the bottom coil support on the shock. sounds like it may be flipped and giving you WAY too much lift.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
take a pic of the bottom coil support on the shock. sounds like it may be flipped and giving you WAY too much lift.
This ^^^ I bet you put it on upside down.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah X3 you shouldn't be that much higher if any at 1.75 with a 1.5 AAL.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
x4, I could tell this was going to be the issue just by reading the thread title.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Also you can fit 265/75/16's on your truck stock.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Is the shock installed with the perch like this:

If so, it is installed UPSIDE DOWN, and there is nothing holding the c-clip in place. Do not drive the truck. Take the shocks off and fix it.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Is the shock installed with the perch like this:

If so, it is installed UPSIDE DOWN, and there is nothing holding the c-clip in place. Do not drive the truck. Take the shocks off and fix it.

You guys are all awesome and I feel like a complete jackass!! I did install it upside down. Did I cause damage to anything by doing this??

Also, my spring seat that came with the shock looks a bit different than the one in the picture. Mine is black and does not have as thick of a top perch.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 08 View Post
You guys are all awesome and I feel like a complete jackass!! I did install it upside down. Did I cause damage to anything by doing this??

Also, my spring seat that came with the shock looks a bit different than the one in the picture. Mine is black and does not have as thick of a top perch.
you didnt damage anything by that, but make sure you get it changed quick. like KPT said, there's nothing keeping that C-clip in besides the weight sitting on it.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 08 View Post

The black spring perch comes on the newer 5100's...nothing to worry about there.

You probably haven't damaged anything yet, but as I noted, without the spring perch enveloping the c-clip and holding it in place, it could fail and cause a big mess. Don't drive the truck, take everything part and re-assemble correct, and be careful when doing so.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #11
jjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to behold

Name: Big Daddy Woo Woo
jjbeenken's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The black spring perch comes on the newer 5100's...nothing to worry about there.

You probably haven't damaged anything yet, but as I noted, without the spring perch enveloping the c-clip and holding it in place, it could fail and cause a big mess. Don't drive the truck, take everything part and re-assemble correct, and be careful when doing so.
WOW! That could have got nasty. I'm glad people ask questions even if they think they're stupid. That was sketchy just putting those together.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbeenken View Post
WOW! That could have got nasty. I'm glad people ask questions even if they think they're stupid. That was sketchy just putting those together.
I'm glad he thought to ask though. This is a very common mistake.....
Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #13
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
yup. it happened to eddie when we installed his. he had them put together at a shop and we just installed and didnt know until afterwards. he had them swapped around and reinstalled. no biggie as long as nothing happens before then.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are the instructions that come with the fronts unclear or do they not come with instructions at all? I'm just curious since it seems to be such a common problem. I cheated and bought mine pre-assembled
Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #15
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Are the instructions that come with the fronts unclear or do they not come with instructions at all? I'm just curious since it seems to be such a common problem. I cheated and bought mine pre-assembled
I bought mine from DSM and they came with a 1 page diagram
Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #16
DocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1st 145th FA
Name: David
DocCisco's Tacoma Gallery
This is TacomaWorld at it's finest. A good reason to be a member here.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #17
Quote:
I bought mine from DSM and they came with a 1 page diagram
I'll admit, mine did come with instructions, and now that I take another look at them, they are clear. But being who I am and getting too excited to get the lift installed, I just wasn't paying enough attention. Thank you again for everyone's help.

I will also admit that between after the install yesterday and getting to work today, I've probably driven 20 miles with the cups upside down!! I feel very lucky nothing happened.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #18
TRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to all

TRDSPORTtaco's Tacoma Gallery
With the number of people who have accidentally put the spring perch on upside down I think Bilstein should start marking "This side up" on the perch.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #19
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious just how much lift putting it on up-side gave you. To be nose that noticeably nose-high even with the 1.5" aal has to be some lift. No wonder it was riding like shit for being set to 1.75".
Old 05-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #20
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDSPORTtaco View Post
With the number of people who have accidentally put the spring perch on upside down I think Bilstein should start marking "This side up" on the perch.
Probably one of the smartest things I've heard on this site!