1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

front end binding after uca install

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by markc6606, May 18, 2011.

1. May 18, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    markc6606

markc6606 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoFlo
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    Hey All
    So like the title says ,finally got tired of the truck dancing around on the highway so I got some LR uca'sto get my alignment #'s back after adding bill's at 1.75and rear spring tsb . Seemed awesome for the first 2 or 3 weeks, then started noticing the steering hanging up at slow speeds like when pulling into or out of a parking spot.Binds pretty good sometimes but not always.
    I was thinking maybe a bad ball joint? I thought SPC had the bugs pretty much taken care of with them.
    Waiting to get it back into my alignment guy next week and see what he thinks could be causing it. He's great at what he does but could he have missed something?Thought all my handling problems with this truck were finally addressed. Never had any of these problems with my 04 x-cab off road. Also waiting to hear back from bill at Fat Bob's.
    Thanks for any help or ideas you guys can throw at me.

2. May 18, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    The adjustment nut on the arms may have not been tightened enough?? Hard to say. Just got to wait and see really.

3. May 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    markc6606

Member:
    SoFlo
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    With my caster numbers up at 2.4 would that make the wheels farther back in the wheel well and cause them to bind at full lock? Just wondering ,been trying to figure out all day what could change that much to cause it

4. May 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    It would move the tire/wheel back in the wheel well. The only binding would be a tire rub issue. But you should be able to hear/feel if it was a tire rubbing issue.

5. May 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    markc6606

Member:
    SoFlo
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    Thanks Dan def not any tire rub. Something binding up the steering for sure. I didnt think that would cause what I'm feeling, just taking stabs in the dark cause I'm at a loss

6. May 18, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Best bet is to get it on a rack and watch everything closely. Give the front end a good shake down.

7. May 21, 2011 at 6:21 AM
    markc6606

Member:
    SoFlo
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    Ok.So i got it back up on the rack yesterday.Everything still seems to be tight. Although we did find , Front end jacked up by lower arms not frame so nothing would hang too far. As you moved the wheels back and forth from under the truck there was some resistance near full lock left or right.
    When you pushed them past the point of resistance a POP can be heard and felt in the driver side cv joint.??? There is also a really slight vibration that i've always had that goes away when switched into 4x4 that from reading other threads i always attributed to possible diff bearings going bad.
    never gave it to much thought with so many miles of warranty left and like i said really not bad at all.
    Just a coincidence that both are on same side or related do you think?
    Would either or both cause my steering to be hanging up when turned tight? Even my alignment guy is puzzled. The only thing he was thinking was to maybe add a little camber back in since when i put on the new uca's he made my numbers 2.4 0 0 like i've read are the ideal place to start. That did make highway driving much better but now this with tight turns.I dont think the new alignment #s are causing this. a cv going bad that just happened after new allignment?? Can't wait to hear toyota try to get out of this one.
    Any help from the experts on here is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top