Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ToyTec 884 / 885 / 886 Coils

Old 10-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
ToyTec 884 / 885 / 886 Coils

I've been reading for about an hour thru the suspension threads but haven't seen any focus on the difference between these coils... I'm assuming the heavier the coil the stiffer the ride? Maybe someone can help me decide which will be better for me. It's a daily driver, but I do tow a trailer with quiet a bit of weight on it, and my truck see's desert & sand often. Any advice?

I'm just getting the coil / rear AAL for now, will be adding shocks within the next couple weeks.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
RegCab is on a distinguished road
RegCab's Tacoma Gallery
I would say do the 885 coil if you don't plan to add a AM bumper but with the 885 you have to change out the strut to the OME one do it right do it once.. also order a trim packer from wheelers off road for the drivers side it will make up for the added weight of the driver and the gas tank. For the rear a add a leaf is perfect if you tow if you don't have the money for the rear shocks right away you will be ok.. I think toytec sales little extenders for people who want to keep there TRD Bilstein shocks i havent tried them but....
Old 10-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Is there a difference in height between the springs?
Old 10-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
RegCab is on a distinguished road
RegCab's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe not when new but thay do settle after a few months so you need a stiffer spring for your heavy truck (D-cab) If you did a 884 on a stock strut you would be level with the stock rear.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
╒╪╕

Cool. thanks for the info
Old 10-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
Is there a difference in height between the springs?
Yes, there is a difference between springs.
884 have a spring rate of 103 N/mm and a length of 385 mm
885 have a rate of 103 N/mm and a length of 395 mm
886's have a rate of 115 N/mm and a length of 402 mm and are a little thicker than the other 2.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
╒╪╕

I have ordered the 885's, and 5100's for the front...

and then I read shadow warrior's FAQ / guide...

is there a good reason I shouldnt use 5100's with these coils?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
╒╪╕

I called toytec - they say it's fine to use the 5100's with these front coils as long as i use the lowest height setting...This contradicts ShadowWarriors Lift Guide, so I want to make sure this is OK before i rip open the box. Any input?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
For best performance with billy 5100s, use the stock coils. I recommend one of two routes, 5100s with stock coils (0-2.5" lift), or OME 88# with stock shocks (3" lift). I just installed 5100's all around with an AAL in the rear. They ride sweet @ 2.5".
Old 10-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
╒╪╕

I guess what i want to confirm is this:

If i use the 5100s with the 885 coils, there won't be any suspension component damage (beyond normal wear). Seems everyone has a different opinion, i just don't want this setup to cause extra "problems".

ShadowWarriors Lift FAQ guide says:

Bilstien 5100's This is a great affordable lift kit. These replacement shocks are great to add a few inches to the front of your Tacoma, it is adjustable and have a slightly better valving system than the stock shocks that come with the Tacoma's. (But please take note NO One recommends it to be used in conjunction with after market coils) This may result in damage of your suspension components.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
╒╪╕

I've already paid for the 5100s. Should I keep them to use with the coils to improve travel / ride quality, or return them and use the stock billy with the 885 ?

I appreciate the info
Old 10-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
╒╪╕

Cool. I'll stick the 5100's in for now and see how they ride. Thanks again for the info!