Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

want a nice ride for potholes - i also need a terminology lesson

Old 05-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
want a nice ride for potholes - i also need a terminology lesson

Im trying to figure out the proper term and set up for city driving. NYC is loaded with potholes and it will destroy a vehicle if you arent careful. Im looking to get my truck set up for the best pothole defense around. I want to be able to ride over pot holes with out having to worry.

Im not sure if im looking for a soft ride, and reactive suspension or whatever else it may be called. Ever see a Baja500 truck flying thru the desert and the suspension is just floating the truck over the terrain? I want that in a cty version lol.

Can someone tell me what it is that allows for that sort of suspension? Basically i want to go over bumps around 2" tall with out feeling them very much. Am i looking for a luxurious ride? I havent been in enough luxury cars to know if they handle potholes well. is it a stiff suspension to keep those wheels stuck to the pavement and the springs bouncing?

Anyway, I hope i explained this enough but if not, i can get more descriptive.

If anyone knows what i need to buy to accopmlish this feat let me know. If anyone has any input on what sort of actual hardware is needed for this that woudl be appreciated.

thanks
mike
Old 05-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It is best to avoid potholes no matter what suspension you have.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
Long Travel!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by packfan88 View Post
Im trying to figure out the proper term and set up for city driving. NYC is loaded with potholes and it will destroy a vehicle if you arent careful. Im looking to get my truck set up for the best pothole defense around. I want to be able to ride over pot holes with out having to worry.

Im not sure if im looking for a soft ride, and reactive suspension or whatever else it may be called. Ever see a Baja500 truck flying thru the desert and the suspension is just floating the truck over the terrain? I want that in a cty version lol.

Can someone tell me what it is that allows for that sort of suspension? Basically i want to go over bumps around 2" tall with out feeling them very much. Am i looking for a luxurious ride? I havent been in enough luxury cars to know if they handle potholes well. is it a stiff suspension to keep those wheels stuck to the pavement and the springs bouncing?

Anyway, I hope i explained this enough but if not, i can get more descriptive.

If anyone knows what i need to buy to accopmlish this feat let me know. If anyone has any input on what sort of actual hardware is needed for this that woudl be appreciated.

thanks
mike
The desert racers do it by tuning the compression and rebound settings on their shocks. Also, in their case, maintaining lots of speed helps too.

Talk with Marco at Downsouth Motorsports. Those guys know their stuff when it comes to how to make suspensions work.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
this!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJgwPH9e8HQ
Old 05-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Beretta Taco
Mescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant future

Firefighter: Come from a family of Army and Air Force
Name: Matt
Mescalero's Tacoma Gallery
See if they make one of these for the tacos...

Gotta be atleast one out there...
Old 05-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal4banger View Post
Long Travel!!!!!!!!!!!

x2
Old 05-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
bigger rims and tires will go over potholes easier rather than into them
Old 05-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
bigger rims and tires will go over potholes easier rather than into them
Actually just bigger tires. A bigger rim means less sidewall to flex.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Small rims, Taller tires, and softer springs. It'll float but you can kiss spirited driving goodbye.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #13
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It is best to avoid potholes no matter what suspension you have.

I guess you have never driven in NYC
Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #14
Very Nice !

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
What kind of speeds do you usually hit these pot holes at? Im guessing a pair of king coilovers would do you well

Driving in NYC in a life and death battle with crazy cab drivers for lanes space is almost like a Baja race. I going to say Id like to cruise over them at around 30 mph with out having the truck skip around like a lightweight fighter on a pogo stick.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #15
Very Nice !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8WhiteTaco View Post
Small rims, Taller tires, and softer springs. It'll float but you can kiss spirited driving goodbye.

What exactly is spirited driving? Are you talking about going fast on nicely banked turns? If so, its not to be found in NYC anway. I rarely get over 50mph unless im on the parkway to the jersey shore (jk)
Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #16
Very Nice !

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal4banger View Post
Long Travel!!!!!!!!!!!
So long travel is the term for the "type" of suspension I am looking for? So If I come in TW looking fo radvice ona long travel suspension set up, people will know what Im talking about and what parts I would need to complete the setup?

Sorry if i sound clueless, but i am ...and im ashamed.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #17
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
avoid them.....

bad on all your shit no matter what.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #18
Very Nice !

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
avoid them.....

bad on all your shit no matter what.

I guess you read the first post and thats it?

again, its not possible. Maybe where you live it is possible but not here. Some streets in NYC are not only covered in potholes and the raised asphault cause by pothole repair, but have no choice but to drive over them. Some street have more square inches of potholes and pothoel repair than they have of NO potholes or past pothole repair.

Sure i can slow down to make it easier on my suspension, but then i wouldnt make the light. If i dont make that light i miss the next 10 lights and it will take 10 mintues longer to get where Im going.

NYC is a fast paced place. Sort of why the saying goes "if youre not from here, you wont survive here". Some people are better suited for a slower place like the South or the suburbs. Driving slower and taking the path less traveled isnt going to happen.

I am going to hit them and Im going to hit them at a higher rate of speed than most would.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #19
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
get a 3 inch lift, maybe coilovers up front if you wanna spend some $$$$$

then get some big ass tires. you wont be able to do much more, its a truck, its not going to ride smooth, especially thru pot holes
Old 05-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #20
Very Nice !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lNtHwyiBEc

sweet !