Old 10-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
Rookie Member
BGreene will become famous soon enoughBGreene will become famous soon enough

Name: Brandon
BGreene's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BGreene
3" Suspension tire size

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, so I hope this is appropriate area. I am interested in getting a 3" suspension lift on my 08 Tacoma Prerunner. I've got prices from numerous places as well as prices on tires but not sure what size tire to use.

I'm not looking for a monster truck off-road look, but just a decent lift with decent sized tires. I will not off road with the truck, but just want the bigger a little more aggressive look.

A guy from a local tire company recomended 265 size tires for a 3" inch lift, but I'm not sure how they will look with it. Will that give me a noticable difference?

Thanks for everything- look forward to more posts in the future.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going with a 265/75/16 tire with a 3" Suspension lift. You can run a 285 tire (33") and it will look great, but you will have to do some trimming. I personally don't want to trim anything nor do I want to buy aftermarket wheels or wheel spacers to make the 33"s fit.

Check out my sticky (link in sig) on lifts, it'll give you a lot of info.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:22 AM   #3
Rookie Member
BGreene will become famous soon enoughBGreene will become famous soon enough

Name: Brandon
BGreene's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BGreene
Thanks for the info. Any more suggestions anyone?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Sold my Tacoma. Goodbye TW.
Neubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Neubs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
Most lifts on tacos run in the 2.5 to 3" range Many coil overs and coil jobs come preset or measured out to give you a 2.5" lift. adjustable coil overs can give you up to 3.5" in some cases and coils such as the OME 885's can be shimmed up the extra 10mm to get you to 3". the difference between 2.5 and 3 although noticeable really amounts to no big deal performance wise. Personally mine is set at 2.75"

its really not the lift size that provides the "either or" line to running 285/75r16's but rather rub issues. Potential areas of offense are the flaps, pinchweld, fender flairs, plastic inner fender skirts, UCA's, Spindles, body mounts, ect. you can correct many of these issues by switching to a wheel with a lesser backspace. 4.5 is common 4.75 is likely better but MUCH more expensive. you also want to make sure you buy wheels that dont rub the brake calipers. Many more issues can be solved by judicious pounding, grinding and trimming of offending areas. the body mounts are the least affected but are the hardest to correct. Going to a lesser backspace in not without ramifications as well but these are minimal and many only exaserbate existing issues by a small amount.

as an aside there are not many trails where 32's vs 33's will make a difference that driving skills can not overcome

other issues have to do with being on the edge or your stock gearing ratios esp with manuals which essentially have a 3.73 geared diffs (IF I'm Not mistaked the Autos run a bit higher but Im not sure how much higher)

all this is a bunch to work through just to gain another 3/8 of minimum ground clearance over a tall 265/75r16 (ie 32") and another 3/4" of width.
the upside of doing these corrective measures (including regearing) is that if it is done in totality you can run up to a 34.5" tire with out MANY further issues provided you have a full 3" lift compatability. But be aware the upper tire size realm has a complete different set of issues which center mostly around the drivelines

IF you have your heart set on slapping some 33" meaties under your taco by all means do so and enjoy them. My intention is to give you an idea of what the issues that you will have to deal with are in exchange for another inch of tire .
Great post!!! Lots of good info!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
MIKEjONES is on a distinguished road
MIKEjONES's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see how a 265 tire is recomended I only have a 04 tacoma TRD it comes with 265 stock I don't know what the newer tacomas have but I'm pretty sure it should be the same