Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Do AAL's Settle After Installation?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
dpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant future
dpak's Tacoma Gallery
Do AAL's Settle After Installation?

I've read that the rear tsb leaf pack will settle approximately 1 inch above stock height after some time, but was curious if AAL's will settle over time as well? For instance, will a 1.5 inch AAL settle to 1 inch.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Over time and use, all suspension components will settle. How quickly and howmuch they settle depends on use so there's really no direct answer. If you off road and constantly flex the suspension, or constantly tow/haul, it will wear out the suspension components quicker, causing them to lose lift.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I added an AAL about a year ago. After 9 months I was at about the same height I was before the installation.
Then they ended up looking like this, more pics in my gallery.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
ajsalida is on a distinguished road
ajsalida's Tacoma Gallery
MAXTacoma, is that the 1.5" AAL from Toytec on non TSB springs?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
MAXTacoma, is that the 1.5" AAL from Toytec on non TSB springs?
No it was the 2" non TSB from Toytec.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
No it was the 2" non TSB from Toytec.
OK thanks. Reason I ask is I have a set of the 1.5" ready to install on non-TSB, and I was afraid my springs would end up looking like yours do after a while. Kind of W-bent. We'll see here in a bit.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:01 AM   #8

Quote:
OK thanks. Reason I ask is I have a set of the 1.5" ready to install on non-TSB, and I was afraid my springs would end up looking like yours do after a while. Kind of W-bent. We'll see here in a bit.
I think it just depends on what you do with your truck. I tow/haul a lot so I'm sure that had something to do with it. If you dont then I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 AM   #9
Quote:
I think it just depends on what you do with your truck. I tow/haul a lot so I'm sure that had something to do with it. If you dont then I'm sure you'll be fine.
OK good to know, thanks. I looked at your gallery and saw the load of wood you were hauling, was wondering if that did it. I tow a lot but try not to put too much weight on the tongue. Still my TRD off road springs are sagging, missed the TSB window, going to try the 1.5" AAL to level it out a bit.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:54 AM   #10

Quote:
OK good to know, thanks. I looked at your gallery and saw the load of wood you were hauling, was wondering if that did it. I tow a lot but try not to put too much weight on the tongue. Still my TRD off road springs are sagging, missed the TSB window, going to try the 1.5" AAL to level it out a bit.

That load of wood was one of many. I think what really did it was when I towed the boat about 4 hours south. I had the whole bed of the truck filled with gear/coolers. Honestly is you tow/haul a lot I would look into getting either a new leaf pack, air bags, or the timbrens. It sounds like your current leaf pack is shot (mine was) and the AAL can only make up for the weak leaf pack for so long before it also becomes weak. It would have been nice for me to know this before I wasted my $$$/time on the AAL and just went ahead and bought a new leaf pack in the first place.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:14 AM   #11
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That load of wood was one of many. I think what really did it was when I towed the boat about 4 hours south. I had the whole bed of the truck filled with gear/coolers. Honestly is you tow/haul a lot I would look into getting either a new leaf pack, air bags, or the timbrens. It sounds like your current leaf pack is shot (mine was) and the AAL can only make up for the weak leaf pack for so long before it also becomes weak. It would have been nice for me to know this before I wasted my $$$/time on the AAL and just went ahead and bought a new leaf pack in the first place.
how many miles u got on those AA-L's.

?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
how many miles u got on those AA-L's.

?
I have since replaced the AAL w/ the Dakar leaf pack,

But I didn't even have the AAL for a year before it was sagging. I dont really drive all that much so I would guess I had less than 10k on the AAL before it started to sag/lose strenght.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #13
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have since replaced the AAL w/ the Dakar leaf pack,

But I didn't even have the AAL for a year before it was sagging. I dont really drive all that much so I would guess I had less than 10k on the AAL before it started to sag/lose strenght.
Oh.....that's much better

i have the D29XL AA-L im sticking in between Dakars.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
Oh.....that's much better

i have the D29XL AA-L im sticking in between Dakars.
I have considered that but dont need/want any more lift than I already have but wouldn't mind making the leaf more stronger. How much more lift did you get with the extra AAL for your Dakar leaf pack?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #15

crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have considered that but dont need/want any more lift than I already have but wouldn't mind making the leaf more stronger. How much more lift did you get with the extra AAL for your Dakar leaf pack?
havent installed yet....

15mm advertised
Old 05-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #16
Quote:
Yeah that is good advice. I have the AAL already so I might as well try it. I have some light towing to do this summer and then that is it for a while. I used to haul big motorcycles in the bed (700+ lbs), then I got a double axle enclosed trailer and now haul them that way. But that was after it a) bent the tailgate, and b) squished the leaf springs. Turns out I missed BOTH tsb's on them. Oh well.

What I just did was buy a new take-off TRD sport suspension (front coils & shocks, and rear shocks) and put it on. Cheap off eBay. I think I had blown out a rear shock too because it sits way more level now in back (still sags a little) and rear end is very planted while driving. Was all over the road esp in cross winds, not anymore. But I still do not trust the rear springs to tow much so I'll slap in the AAL's and see how it goes.

I probably need to go with the 5100's + better springs all around at some point. After I ruin this set. New take off susp. + AAL were all under $200 total, might as well try it out.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Yeah that is good advice. I have the AAL already so I might as well try it. I have some light towing to do this summer and then that is it for a while. I used to haul big motorcycles in the bed (700+ lbs), then I got a double axle enclosed trailer and now haul them that way. But that was after it a) bent the tailgate, and b) squished the leaf springs. Turns out I missed BOTH tsb's on them. Oh well.

What I just did was buy a new take-off TRD sport suspension (front coils & shocks, and rear shocks) and put it on. Cheap off eBay. I think I had blown out a rear shock too because it sits way more level now in back (still sags a little) and rear end is very planted while driving. Was all over the road esp in cross winds, not anymore. But I still do not trust the rear springs to tow much so I'll slap in the AAL's and see how it goes.

I probably need to go with the 5100's + better springs all around at some point. After I ruin this set. New take off susp. + AAL were all under $200 total, might as well try it out.
When I replaced my rear leaf pack with the Dakar I also replaced the shocks. I have about 80k on the truck and the passanger side shock was completely blown. Thats why my truck was so bouncy in the back. After replacing the leaf/shocks in the rear it is such an improvement. Hope yours last longer than mine did. GL