Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

That Dude Tim Alignment

Old 05-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E5 Machinist Mate - USS Downes San Diego Cal.
Name: Nick
Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
That Dude Tim Alignment

After a Firestone missfire at an alignment I posted here and a TW guy stepped up, That Dude Tim who works for Premier Toyota of Amhurst Ohio got me straight. Props to you Timmy Boy. However as with sunshine comes a little rain. The alignment looks much better and I'm no longer concerned I'm going to run the $900.00 tires off the truck. Down side, I had to remove my front mud flaps and trim the bottom inside edges of the fender flairs - stink ! Well here are the numbers

Old 05-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry about the rubbing, but that will get fixed.

Will gladly redo the alignment for you. I felt bad with you going with them rubbing.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick54 View Post
After a Firestone missfire at an alignment I posted here and a TW guy stepped up, That Dude Tim who works for Premier Toyota of Amhurst Ohio got me straight. Props to you Timmy Boy. However as with sunshine comes a little rain. The alignment looks much better and I'm no longer concerned I'm going to run the $900.00 tires off the truck. Down side, I had to remove my front mud flaps and trim the bottom inside edges of the fender flairs - stink ! Well here are the numbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Dude Tim View Post
Sorry about the rubbing, but that will get fixed.

Will gladly redo the alignment for you. I felt bad with you going with them rubbing.
Read BJMoose thread on this and the LR UCAs. its a little bit down from here. I helped him solve his issues. When looking at your before caster numbers i see that you had a lot of extra caster. If you are like him you have the UCAs set at +2 or 3* of caster. When you dial in the caster at the top this moves your tires further back in the wheel well and then when the alignment guy adjusts the lower cam bolts to lower the caster and bring it back into spec then that moves your tire further back and causes more rubbing. I suggest you set your LRs to the 1* setting and then use the bottom stock cam bolts to get the caster right. this will throw out your camber and then use the slide camber adjustment on the LRs to get the camber back to spec. Setting the LRs at 1* of caster will help move your tire away from the back of the wheel well, then dialing in more positive caster at the bottom using the stock adjustments will move it even further back.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That's exactly what we talked about today. Weird thing though is i didn't have to do that on mine. Same tires/size, DC, lifted, LR UCA's, aftermarket wheels.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Nice alignment! YOu may be able to bump the Caster up to about .4*, and get more Caster (around 2.9*) and that will stop the rubbing.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
Toyota Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Nice alignment! YOu may be able to bump the Caster up to about .4*, and get more Caster (around 2.9*) and that will stop the rubbing.
Not possible, if I remember correctly the front adjusters ended up being set to max to get those numbers. The back ones too I believe.

Nick wasn't sure what backspacing he has, but when we looked at my truck his front tires stick out farther. Less backspacing yes?
Old 05-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Not possible, if I remember correctly the front adjusters ended up being set to max to get those numbers. The back ones too I believe.

Nick wasn't sure what backspacing he has, but when we looked at my truck his front tires stick out farther. Less backspacing yes?
If he is running the LR UCA's, you can easilly get Caster to about 3* or more.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If he is running the LR UCA's, you can easilly get Caster to about 3* or more.
This ^^

LR UCA's have 2* of caster built in @ their neutral setting .
Old 05-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
This ^^

LR UCA's have 2* of caster built in @ their neutral setting .
To add, the OP's "before" adjustments show over 4* of Caster, while Camber is only .2* off the mark on the left....SO.....Getting 3* should be within easy reach.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Toyota Technician

Quote:
To add, the OP's "before" adjustments show over 4* of Caster, while Camber is only .2* off the mark on the left....SO.....Getting 3* should be within easy reach.

Don't know what I was thinking there. I was aiming for lower caster without having to mess with adj caster on the UCA's. I ment I maxed out the adj to get caster were it is now.

So if I get this right, by bumping up the caster with the factory adj, this will move the tire in the wheel well forward?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Don't know what I was thinking there. I was aiming for lower caster without having to mess with adj caster on the UCA's. I ment I maxed out the adj to get caster were it is now.

So if I get this right, by bumping up the caster with the factory adj, this will move the tire in the wheel well forward?
Yes. Using the factory adjustment cams. You shouldnt have to do anything with the UCA's.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
What makes this a nice alignment? I'm getting mine aligned right as I'm typing this. Am I looking to just hit factory specs or what? I'm on icon lift with down south UCAs and 4.5in BS hoss wheels.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:

But, if you set the LR UCA to the +1* position you should be able to hit factory spec with the bottom and have the least amount of rub. if you are at + 3 or 2* on the LRs you will get the caster way up there with the factory adjustments. Doing both, Changing the UCA setting, then getting to spec with the lower factory adjustments will both help with clearance and keep you in spec.