LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Alignment, Caster, Clearance, and Driving Report with Light Racing UCAs

Old 12-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #221
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
^^Responding to my own post above. Problem is resolved. Went back to the alignment shop and the tech suggested we flip the drivers and passenger tires (front only). After the flip she drove way better and didn't pull to the right. I don't know if this is common or not but now I'm thinking I may have a balancing issue with one tire? or abnormal wear on one tire? (I didn't see any and am frequently inspecting my tires)
Old 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #222
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had an out-of-balance wheel create a strong pull like you described. More likely, you have some bad wear on those tires. Maybe the new alignment and rotation will slowly correct the wear; maybe not.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #223
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I've had tire-induced pull before. It's not a balance issue - balance induces shake/shimmy/shivver.

Just something about how the tread pattern and belts on the tire wear.

Just go to a front-back tire rotation when you rotate, keeping left and right on the same side each time.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #224
It's alright...They know me here
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I've had tire-induced pull before. It's not a balance issue - balance induces shake/shimmy/shivver.

Just something about how the tread pattern and belts on the tire wear.

Just go to a front-back tire rotation when you rotate, keeping left and right on the same side each time.
Agree with this 100%

When tires are cross rotated, the wheel actually roll is the opposite direction. I know that many say this is OK for radials. but I am old enough to remember when this was quite a problem.

The tire guy that swapped from side to side was changing the rolling direction of the tires. IMO, one of those tires has an issue. Possibly an internal belt has shifted or seperated. Long term you may see more issues.

To prevent this from happening, always rotate front to back. Cross rotation can create it.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #225
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Just got another alignment, I have my LR uppers set to the +2 setting, shop set my caster to 1.7 on the left and 3.4 on the right... I told them it needs to be in the 2.5 range, but they said the camber didn't allow that... Do they just not know how to use the LR uppers? Or are they idiots? Idk...
Old 12-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #226
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Just got another alignment, I have my LR uppers set to the +2 setting, shop set my caster to 1.7 on the left and 3.4 on the right... I told them it needs to be in the 2.5 range, but they said the camber didn't allow that... Do they just not know how to use the LR uppers? Or are they idiots? Idk...
LCA cams may be seized...
Old 12-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #227
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It would seem they may need you to bring in this write-up (the section where Moose explains maximizing clearance) and the SCS install sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
I think the tech would've told him if they were seized, or should have anyway.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #228
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I've been holding off to replace the cams for when I can get some poly bushings for the lca, which are supposed to be available by the end of the year....
Old 12-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #229
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I've been holding off to replace the cams for when I can get some poly bushings for the lca, which are supposed to be available by the end of the year....
I was gonna check mine this weekend but not sure I want the bad news haha
Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #230

Quote:
I was gonna check mine this weekend but not sure I want the bad news haha
Heh I hear ya, I dread needing an alignment because I just never know what to expect at these shops...
Old 12-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #231
Wannabe crawler

Quote:
Heh I hear ya, I dread needing an alignment because I just never know what to expect at these shops...
I'm getting 33s in the spring and I know I'm gonna need to do work before that
Old 12-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #232
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I'm getting 33s in the spring and I know I'm gonna need to do work before that
You can set the LR UCAs at "E" and get a good caster, you might be able to set them at "F" and still get close to 2 degrees after its aligned. 2 isn't bad. It helped a lot (when I did mine at "E") in respect to clearing the tires and the back side of the fender.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #233
Wannabe crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
You can set the LR UCAs at "E" and get a good caster, you might be able to set them at "F" and still get close to 2 degrees after its aligned. 2 isn't bad. It helped a lot (when I did mine at "E") in respect to clearing the tires and the back side of the fender.
I'll turn them 1 notch when I do it. My alignment guy is really good and I'll be there to watch and make sure I get what I need done to clear.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #234

Quote:
I'll turn them 1 notch when I do it. My alignment guy is really good and I'll be there to watch and make sure I get what I need done to clear.
That's awesome! Its hard to find a tech who'll take the time to figure out how far they can push the upper BJ setting to maximize clearance and still get good alignment numbers.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #235
Wannabe crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
That's awesome! Its hard to find a tech who'll take the time to figure out how far they can push the upper BJ setting to maximize clearance and still get good alignment numbers.
Last time I had an alignment I dropped the truck off with the directions because I had school and when I picked it up it was amazing! I talked to him the next day and he said it was super easy to do! He's a friend's dad and knows how particular I am and that I know what I'm talking about
Old 12-17-2013, 04:31 AM   #236
Fastener Tech
MrFastener is on a distinguished road
Navy: EOD Group 2
Name: Steve
MrFastener's Tacoma Gallery
I too have gone thru the works on getting someone who knows how to adjust the uppers. I went to one shop, spoke to the tech, gave him the sheet from SPC showing the setting for the LR uppers and the guy still went the other direction with it because he said it didnt look right. I ended up setting it my self and went to another shop. Final Caster was 3.9 and 4.0 but it took me 4 alignment shops, one was not using digital but the old school alignment.
Even with the Spidertrax spacers the uppers still looked to close at full lock with the 285's and I had what I thought was some full turn rub with the LR uca's, Turns out the 16'' TRD wheels dont like stick on weights because of a clearance issue with the caliper. Went back down to Nitto's 265/75 and dealer suggested using nail on weights. Not sure yet because jus did it yesterday. Point being, tons of issues lifting and adjusting even with the LR uppers.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #237
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFastener View Post
I too have gone thru the works on getting someone who knows how to adjust the uppers. I went to one shop, spoke to the tech, gave him the sheet from SPC showing the setting for the LR uppers and the guy still went the other direction with it because he said it didnt look right. I ended up setting it my self and went to another shop. Final Caster was 3.9 and 4.0 but it took me 4 alignment shops, one was not using digital but the old school alignment.
Even with the Spidertrax spacers the uppers still looked to close at full lock with the 285's and I had what I thought was some full turn rub with the LR uca's, Turns out the 16'' TRD wheels dont like stick on weights because of a clearance issue with the caliper. Went back down to Nitto's 265/75 and dealer suggested using nail on weights. Not sure yet because jus did it yesterday. Point being, tons of issues lifting and adjusting even with the LR uppers.
IT SHOULD NOT BE THIS HARD TO DO
ITS JUST PEOPLE DO NOT TAKE PRIDE IN THEIR WORKMANSHIP THESE DAYS
IF YOU ARE A REAL ALIGNMENT GUY THEN IT SHOULD BE A NO BRAINIER
BUT I KNOW WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM
Old 12-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #239
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUF ROWD View Post
Just bought a set from HeadStrong for $335 out the door, and they have the groove at one end....doesn't mention either way in the instructions...
Yep, I called them and asked, they don't matter what direction you put them in, the groove is just for the manufacturer to make sure you go the right one.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #240
Onurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnurnez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Onurnez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFastener View Post
Go Here: My buddy's shop. He has done all of my work.

http://cartechtireandauto.com

Mention TW, and with your Tacoma only he will give you 10% off.