Notices

Alignment, Caster, Clearance, and Driving Report with Light Racing UCAs

Old 02-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
jspetrovitsis is on a distinguished road
Name: James
jspetrovitsis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
I have read that ideal is 0 degrees for camber. 0 or +.01 or +.02 degrees of toe. And more than 2 degrees of caster.

This is achievable on an all stock Tacoma with no lift. However, when you lift the truck, especially when you max it out to 3" of lift, it becomes impossible to adjust the caster high enough. One degree of caster might be attainable but not much more.

Do you have 3" of lift? Have you added aftermarket upper control arms?

Yeah I have probably around 2.75 to 3'' of liftt. Put the LR UCA's and got it aligned but it still doesn't feel right. trying to figure out what to tell the guy when i go back on friday
Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #22
also, will i loose more lift if i set my caster somewhere between that 2.3-3.0 mark????
Old 02-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #23
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Lose lift? No.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #24
i was just reading somewhere that increasing caster will decrease clearance and I plan on putting 285's on after my x country drive and dont want to rub
Old 02-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #25
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspetrovitsis View Post
i was just reading somewhere that increasing caster will decrease clearance and I plan on putting 285's on after my x country drive and dont want to rub
read the FAQ pages for those UCAs on SPCs website. they'll give you tips on how to maximize clearance. that being said, with 285s there is a decent chance you will rub.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #26
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspetrovitsis View Post
Yes caster will change your tire position in the wheel well. You don't lose any ride height though.

Increasing caster at the LCA will push your wheel/tire away from the cab mount, increasing caster through the UCA will push it towards the cab mount/fire wall.

As per JonnyBp's recommendations... spot on

Quote:
Q. My tires are rubbing at the back of the wheel well, can I use the adjustable arms to help fix this?

A. You can use the factory lower arm adjustment to roll the lower balljoint forward for maximum caster. (Pull the front bushings in, push the rears out.) Then use the upper balljoint of the SPC arms to get the caster and camber alignment in spec. It is not uncommon that the left and right arms might need different balljoint orientations to get proper caster with this method. Doing this can move the wheel center forward by ˝” or more.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #27
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Reading the OP of this very thread gives a good explanation

Lol
Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #28
Relik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Eddy
Relik's Tacoma Gallery
0 to 1.6" lift LR setting?

Any recomendations for what setting to put the LR UCAs with 0 to 1.6" lift? Everyone recommends the neutral "0" setting which adds 2* of caster, but this seems to be for 2-3" of lift.

I will be putting on eibachs/5100s at 0 or getting new COs and setting them between 0 and 1". Would the Neutral 0 (2*) setting work fine or would it give too much caster?
Old 02-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #29
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Fantastic writeup.
I have been postponing my install and fighting the twitchy itchy tracking for too long!!!
Time to act.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #30
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relik View Post
Any recomendations for what setting to put the LR UCAs with 0 to 1.6" lift? Everyone recommends the neutral "0" setting which adds 2* of caster, but this seems to be for 2-3" of lift.

I will be putting on eibachs/5100s at 0 or getting new COs and setting them between 0 and 1". Would the Neutral 0 (2*) setting work fine or would it give too much caster?
That would be too much caster. Why install them at all for that little lift?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #31
Relik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Relik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
That would be too much caster. Why install them at all for that little lift?
I'll be putting on spindles and knew I wouldn't need UCAs, but I was thinking next upgrade was extended travel COs and you need a new UCA. LR was cheapest option and jus jumped on deal. Hm I'm debating keepin them though...
Old 02-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #32

Navy:
Relik's Tacoma Gallery
I kept the Eibachs (1.6" lift) with my spindles and put LR setting at the -1 setting (so +1* caster). Figured since the neutral setting @ 0 (2* caster) is used for 3" lift then -1 should be good for me. Plus bjmoose used -1 with 3" lift too. Hopefully I can get 2.5*-3*.

I need to lift the rear today hopefully then align it today/tom. I'll try and post my results...

Thanks
Old 03-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #33

Navy:
Relik's Tacoma Gallery
Ok with my LR UCAs set at the -1 setting (so total of +1* caster) I got my alignment done. Again I have 5100s and Eibach set at 0 in front, All pro 3" leafs in rear.

Toe:0*
Camber:0*
Caster: 3.5*
Old 03-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #34
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #35
backcountryj is on a distinguished road
Name: Jonathan
backcountryj's Tacoma Gallery
I'll need this soon...sub'd
Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #36
SKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
SKULLY's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #37
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Well im at another alignment shop. The tech literally has no idea what I'm talking about. He keeps saying, "well if we can get it right from the bottom we won't have to touch the Uca"... fml. I've showed him all the diagrams and instructions, but I don't think this is going to work. sigh
Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #38
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
Well im at another alignment shop. The tech literally has no idea what I'm talking about. He keeps saying, "well if we can get it right from the bottom we won't have to touch the Uca"... fml. I've showed him all the diagrams and instructions, but I don't think this is going to work. sigh
What setting did you have the UCA's at when you got to the shop ?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #39
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
What setting did you have the UCA's at when you got to the shop ?
Neutral. Should I have set it before? I thought they would do it as they go.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #40

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
Neutral. Should I have set it before? I thought they would do it as they go.
Reread the OP of this thread .