Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Alignment, Caster, Clearance, and Driving Report with Light Racing UCAs

Old 05-02-2013, 04:13 AM   #82
JpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement:
JpAdct's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Increasing caster moves the wheel closer to the pinch weld/mudflap area.
When I increased caster on my particular set up, it moved the wheel forward and lessened the rub on mudflap area. I saw the alignment guy make the wheel go forward as he was adding more caster.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #83
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JpAdct View Post
When I increased caster on my particular set up, it moved the wheel forward and lessened the rub on mudflap area. I saw the alignment guy make the wheel go forward as he was adding more caster.
It just depends on how they make the adjustment.

OEM upper arms, or any aftermarket except LR, the castor is adjusted at the bottom on the lower arm pivots.

With LR arms, they can set the upper adjustment as a coarse setting. Then ideally fine tune the lower arm setting. Hopefully to let the lower arm pivots be positioned close to the same clocking for the front pivot and rear pivot.

PK
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #84
uncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Arty
uncleART's Tacoma Gallery
I just got my alignment today.

When I did my lift yesterday, I set my LR bj at neutral "D" setting for a total of +2* caster. I also rolled my LCA cams around to max, pushing the lower bj all the way forward.

So today, I had 3.8* caster to start. We changed the LR bj to a -1 "E" setting. The tech then pulled the LCAs back a little, to give me 2* of caster. I now have 3" of clearance behind my 265/65-17s on stock wheels. I gained an extra inch!

This will help when I put 285/70-17s on with 1" Bora spacers.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #85
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
^^

Good to hear. I still need to redo my alignment..

Nice avatar btw..
Old 06-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #87
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

"Yo Bitch!"

Cant wait for the season to finish.. soooon.. soooon..
Old 06-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #89
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
I understand that SPC recommends the 0 "neutral" setting for a 3 inch lift, but has anyone started with the +1 setting for the caster? I'm wanting to run 285s and wanting to see what others have done with LR uca.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #90

285's and neutral setting here. That's the standard for most with LR's.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #91
uncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtacosurfer View Post
I understand that SPC recommends the 0 "neutral" setting for a 3 inch lift, but has anyone started with the +1 setting for the caster? I'm wanting to run 285s and wanting to see what others have done with LR uca.
A +1 setting would increase caster and reduce rear clearance. A neutral setting is the recommended starting point, and some like me, have opted to go with a -1 setting for increased clearance & a little less caster. I got 2* of caster with my -1 setting and gained an extra inch of rear clearance. This was in prep for running 285s.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #92
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleART View Post
A +1 setting would increase caster and reduce rear clearance. A neutral setting is the recommended starting point, and some like me, have opted to go with a -1 setting for increased clearance & a little less caster. I got 2* of caster with my -1 setting and gained an extra inch of rear clearance. This was in prep for running 285s.
Just to clarify, by -1 you mean -1 from the neutral position, so you are adding +1* of caster at the UCA correct? Because the neutral setting adds 2* of caster. Its funny, bbtacosurfer and I were just discussing this the other day, i want to switch up my caster to help with clearance at the back of the wheel well, but i dont really see anyone running their light racing UCAs at +1*. So you have 285s now and have plenty of clearance? What are your wheel stats or what are you running for wheels?

Edit: read your previous post, looks like the 285s with spacers haven't gone on yet. Im curious to know how it works out.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #93
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
I been running 285 + lr at neutral for over 3 years with minor rubbing at full lock and stuffed
Mm 951 4.5 bs
Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #94
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I have about 1/8" clearance to the cab mount, already chopped, locked and stuffed. I still rub the bottom of the fender flares and i don't want to cut much more off. So i am tossing around the idea of trying to move the wheels forward by changing the setting on the UCAs
Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
I been running 285 + lr at neutral for over 3 years with minor rubbing at full lock and stuffed
Mm 951 4.5 bs
X2. Same here. About two years for me. Only rub when at full lock and stuffed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
I have about 1/8" clearance to the cab mount, already chopped, locked and stuffed. I still rub the bottom of the fender flares and i don't want to cut much more off. So i am tossing around the idea of trying to move the wheels forward by changing the setting on the UCAs
...but have been thinking of doing this as well. Might have the shop try it out next time im in.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Just to clarify, by -1 you mean -1 from the neutral position, so you are adding +1* of caster at the UCA correct? Because the neutral setting adds 2* of caster. Its funny, bbtacosurfer and I were just discussing this the other day, i want to switch up my caster to help with clearance at the back of the wheel well, but i dont really see anyone running their light racing UCAs at +1*. So you have 285s now and have plenty of clearance? What are your wheel stats or what are you running for wheels?

Edit: read your previous post, looks like the 285s with spacers haven't gone on yet. Im curious to know how it works out.
You are correct. A -1 ball joint setting gives the uca an overall +1* caster.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #97
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thank you UncleART for the clarification! I may try the -1 route to clear some room for 285s. Like Evan said, not a whole lot of folks running their LR UCA at this setting so it's making me wonder if it's the best route.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtacosurfer View Post
Thank you UncleART for the clarification! I may try the -1 route to clear some room for 285s. Like Evan said, not a whole lot of folks running their LR UCA at this setting so it's making me wonder if it's the best route.
I just measured again, and I have about 4" to the cab mount!!! (Stock tires & sport wheels). About 3" to the plastic well lip.

I'm not sure what my factory caster was. But I think that it was a little more than 2*. My truck is stable driving straight but I feel the bumps in the road affect the steering more now than before.

I ended up doing the same thing as bjmoose. I got the strategy from him. Re-read his post and you can get some good info. He did a great write up.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #99
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Steve, a possible issue with LR UCAs came up in another thread.

It was said that, "This is normal for LRs. Other manufacturers of UCAs don't have this issue, because they're full uniballs." A few of us mentioned this was the first we'd heard of this, and it was suggested that the interference resulted from alignment issues, or the need to rotate the spring for clearance.

Any thoughts? I'm sure the OP of that thread would appreciate your advice.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Steve, a possible issue with LR UCAs came up in another thread.

It was said that, "This is normal for LRs. Other manufacturers of UCAs don't have this issue, because they're full uniballs." A few of us mentioned this was the first we'd heard of this, and it was suggested that the interference resulted from alignment issues, or the need to rotate the spring for clearance.

Any thoughts? I'm sure the OP of that thread would appreciate your advice.
oh man! Yikes!