Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

need help with choosing lift kit

Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
JDenny15 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
JDenny15's Tacoma Gallery
need help with choosing lift kit

there are so many lifts out there, and i'm just curious as to which lift is the most bang for your buck? I was looking into the Toytec 3" OME lift with heavy coils and shocks. I don't have thousands of dollars to put towards a lift, but need to get one. any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
"Most bang for your buck" is definitely four 5100s set to 2.5" in the front with a 2" add-a-leaf in the back.

You can go cheaper than that.

You can get better capability than that.

But it's a pretty good sweet spot.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
but will the 5100's be enough to hold up a steel bumper? wouldn't i need heavy duty coils? i've heard the stock fj coils fit the tacomas and are a little heavier duty

are you talking about this lift? the Bilstein adjustable 5100's.
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Of you have winch in your bumper get the ome 886 coils

If you don't have a winch get the 885s with the 14mm spacer

5100s don't seem like the lift you are looking for. You will probably only sit at 2-2.25" of lift w/ that steel bumper
Old 05-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
Frostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Frostbyte's Tacoma Gallery
if your getting a heavy duty bumper, with a winch, i would spend the extra $$ and buy a quality lift that will suit your needs with the added weight...
just my 2cents
Old 05-24-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
I'm thinking i'll probably go with the full OME kit. I've been reading about it and it doesn't require sway bar relocaters. and the bumper will have a winch in it soon, i am still in the process of building it...
Old 05-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDenny15 View Post
I'm thinking i'll probably go with the full OME kit. I've been reading about it and it doesn't require sway bar relocaters. and the bumper will have a winch in it soon, i am still in the process of building it...
Ome 886x coils with the ome 9000 struts it is then! Are you getting the AAL or the Dakar leaf pack?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
I think i'm going to just do an add a leaf. it will probably decrease flex some but i dont have the funds for the leaf packs
Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
"Most bang for your buck" is definitely four 5100s set to 2.5" in the front with a 2" add-a-leaf in the back.

You can go cheaper than that.

You can get better capability than that.

But it's a pretty good sweet spot.
So what cons are there to this type of lift? I have never had a topic I cant understand as bad as lifting this truck lol. I was thinking that but then people say "only 1" of travel" or "bad ride". I dont understand.
Right now I have the TRD stock shocks (yellow/blue ones) and I wanted to get the 5100's in the front set at 2.5, and a 5th leaf in the rear ( i have 4 stock). What else will I have to do? I wish someone could take a few mins to dumb this down to me.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
hawaiian_fantasy is on a distinguished road
hawaiian_fantasy's Tacoma Gallery
Go to this link. There is a lot of good feedback. I read through this and decided to buy my kit this week. I got the OME Kit btw with the 1/4 spacer to get the full 3" lift with the AAL and 885. You might want to go with the 886 since you will be having a heavy duty bumper and winch but read the link below. I dont go off road so there are guys who can guide you the right direction.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...-lift-kit.html