Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Newbie: Another Billy thread...

Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
bbtank45 is on a distinguished road
bbtank45's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie: Another Billy thread...

I feel like im beating a dead horse asking a question/s like this, but you guys may have some insight as to what fits my application...

Need to get some new shocks in the front (at least) and would like to put an AAL in the rear to help reduce some of the "driveline clunk". I see that everyone swears by Billstein 5100's, but im not really doin any trail riding or 4 wheelin where i really need a "high performance" shock..... would youo guys still recommend a set of bilsteins for all 4?

Also, i would like to keep my truck to as close to stock height as possible but i am not against it lifting minimal amounts in the end (after an AAL in the rear and a set of shocks and springs in the front). It seems that everyone also swaps out there factory springs with Eibach.... how necessary is this to do as well?

Overall, just lookin for a quality product that will last a decent amount of time (truck only have 109k) and fit my application.....90% highway driving.

Apologize to any1 who gets annoyed by this question, but thanks again ahead of time.

Ben B.
Cincinnati, OH
Old 05-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
I have a spectacular aura
Bryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud of

Bryan139's Tacoma Gallery
The 5100's everybody is using are for lift. They're either setting the 5100's at 2.5, 1.75, etc and getting 2.5" of lift out of them or setting them at 0 and using the Eibach or OME coils for the lift. Either way, it's all for lift. You could get shorter coils and set the 5100's at 0 and not get any lift, but there are less expensive ways to not get a lift. You could probably get an AAL for the rear and whatever the OEM replacement shocks are for the front all for the price of just the 5100's for the front. I don't know if an AAL in the rear with stock replacements in the front would make your truck sit high in the rear though. There are more expierenced guys that will be around sooner or later. You could also find most answers you're looking for searching, just be sure to click where it says 'titles only' or whatever.

Also, look around the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, guys sell almost new stock shocks all the time when they lift their trucks. Probably not for '99s though. I'm not even sure if the 5100's work on '99.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan139 View Post
The 5100's everybody is using are for lift. They're either setting the 5100's at 2.5, 1.75, etc and getting 2.5" of lift out of them or setting them at 0 and using the Eibach or OME coils for the lift. Either way, it's all for lift. You could get shorter coils and set the 5100's at 0 and not get any lift, but there are less expensive ways to not get a lift. You could probably get an AAL for the rear and whatever the OEM replacement shocks are for the front all for the price of just the 5100's for the front. I don't know if an AAL in the rear with stock replacements in the front would make your truck sit high in the rear though. There are more expierenced guys that will be around sooner or later. You could also find most answers you're looking for searching, just be sure to click where it says 'titles only' or whatever.

Also, look around the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, guys sell almost new stock shocks all the time when they lift their trucks. Probably not for '99s though. I'm not even sure if the 5100's work on '99.

Appreciate the response.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
So, if i dont want to spend the big bucks on the Bilstein's.... what would some of my other options be?..... cheaper of course.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
What do you mean by "driveline clunk?" It's not clear what problem you're trying to solve. What are the symptoms?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtank45 View Post
So, if i dont want to spend the big bucks on the Bilstein's.... what would some of my other options be?..... cheaper of course.

The 5100's are really the cheap way to go and still have a good product. You can pick up a set of all 4 for 299.00 from downsouthmotorsports.com. I think they even have a set for no lift with the 5125's in the rear.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
How old is your truck? It appears that maybe what you're looking for is just to replace worn out shocks and springs. In that case, your bottom line cheapest option is going to be to buy someone else's factory springs and shocks that they took off when they put on a lift - hopefully local to you so you don't have to pay shipping.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
What do you mean by "driveline clunk?" It's not clear what problem you're trying to solve. What are the symptoms?
A little new to the Taco world, been a diesel guy my whole life. I actually got the clunk figured out.... it was the notorious axle wrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
The 5100's are really the cheap way to go and still have a good product. You can pick up a set of all 4 for 299.00 from downsouthmotorsports.com. I think they even have a set for no lift with the 5125's in the rear.
Thanks. If i go with the 5100's (all the way around front and rear) that will require an AAL, Correct? but if i go with the 5100's up front and the 5125's in the back i will not need an AAL correct? I ran bilsteins for a while on a race truck i had (twin turbo Cummins) but eventually jumped over to a set of QA1's. Just tryin to get a handle on what fits and will work for my application. Im just not looking for a lifted truck.... the truck stays on pavement the majority of the time, communting 60 miles each way from work to home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
How old is your truck? It appears that maybe what you're looking for is just to replace worn out shocks and springs. In that case, your bottom line cheapest option is going to be to buy someone else's factory springs and shocks that they took off when they put on a lift - hopefully local to you so you don't have to pay shipping.
My truck is a 99 XtraCab. Ill look around.... guess i cant be such a tight ass sometimes. Thanks for the help man.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
I think users scocar mentioned he's selling his billy's with only about 7k miles on 'em soon.

It might be worth a PM to get the details from him. FWIW - i ditched my stock shocks and leafs at a hair over 100k miles for a full 5100 setup +Wheelers 5-pack leafs... and i love it. I've got 5100's in the front with OME881 coils and love the ride and the 'modest' lift. But i have the V6 Double Cab so i've got weight you don't.