Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

rhythmic vibration after lift

Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
DSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to beholdDSMissed is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kerri
DSMissed's Tacoma Gallery
rhythmic vibration after lift

I did search through the vibration after lift threads, and didn't find anything close to my particular situation. I have the rear TSB AAL done a year ago and had no vibrations from that. Just installed 5100's set at 1.75, and now the truck has a very rhythmic vibration. It will vibrate for about a second, then stop for about a second, the faster I go the faster the rhythm. Sometimes though, it doesn't do it at all, even at slow speeds.

Any ideas? My tires were just balanced, I have not gotten my new alignment yet though, because I'm going to lift the front more because 1.75 didn't level it, back is still quite a bit higher.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
It's probably the alignment. Get an alignment after you lift it again and see what happens. Your camber is probably off causing the truck to ride on the edge of the tires.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
tom1382 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tom
tom1382's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having the same problem on my 06 sport. After 5 minutes or so when I start driving it goes away. It's not too noticeable but still bothering me! I was thinking it might have to do with the traction control or abs. My truck has been aligned. The weird thing is the rhythm.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
193rdsoldier will become famous soon enough193rdsoldier will become famous soon enough

Name: Joe
193rdsoldier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby9999 View Post
When it happens,engage 4WD. Does it go away?
I have the exact same issue. Vibration starts at 35mph on the dot. Goes away immediately when 4wd engaged and comes right back when disengaged. What are you thinking it could be?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^But there's been no change to OP's driveshaft geometry for the past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMissed View Post
Any ideas? My tires were just balanced, I have not gotten my new alignment yet though, because I'm going to lift the front more because 1.75 didn't level it, back is still quite a bit higher.
You should get an alignment right away. The Tacoma loses a lot of caster when lifted. The toe could also be misaligned due to bump steer in the geometry, causing rapid tire wear.

Check if the vibration goes away in 4WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 193rdsoldier View Post
I have the exact same issue. Vibration starts at 35mph on the dot. Goes away immediately when 4wd engaged and comes right back when disengaged. What are you thinking it could be?
If it goes away in 4WD, then it's the front diff bearing. The bearing wears out over time, but doesn't show a perceivable effect until you install a front lift - the CV shaft at an angle produces some side loads.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
193rdsoldier will become famous soon enough193rdsoldier will become famous soon enough

Name: Joe
193rdsoldier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
^But there's been no change to OP's driveshaft geometry for the past year.

You should get an alignment right away. The Tacoma loses a lot of caster when lifted. The toe could also be misaligned due to bump steer in the geometry, causing rapid tire wear.

Check if the vibration goes away in 4WD.

If it goes away in 4WD, then it's the front diff bearing. The bearing wears out over time, but doesn't show a perceivable effect until you install a front lift - the CV shaft at an angle produces some side loads.
Thanks for the info. I have lots of factory powertrain plus certified warranty left.