1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light Racing A Arms ???

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by virgilus11, May 26, 2011.

1. May 26, 2011 at 6:25 PM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    Let's say that you have a little bit too much of negative camber. Can you adjust it from the top nut only ??? with out affecting the toe and (or) the caster ???.

Thank you for the wisdom.

2. May 26, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    virgilus11

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    CRIIIIIIS,,,, I need your help please.

3. May 26, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shoot him a PM

4. May 26, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Yes. You can slide the UCA camber adjustment in and out without effecting caster as long as you dont rotate the caster adjustment.

5. May 26, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    virgilus11

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    Thank you guys.

6. May 27, 2011 at 4:51 AM
    elwood

elwood "Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    K/N cold air intake, leer cap, running boards, nose gaurd,E brake control, mud flap cut, suspension tsb, Rear diff breather mod,Factory Fog lights, Factory front diff cover
    Help me here, what is stoping the ball joint from moving on its own (camber wise ) other than the tightness of the nut??? I understand the caster settings ( i hope ) of the ball joint but the "slot" for the camber seems like a weak point for this arm. I havn't had one in my hands yet so just trying to picture it. Any locking mechanisms other than pure torque of the nut?

7. May 27, 2011 at 6:24 AM
    virgilus11

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    As I see it ,, you are right. The torque it self. But the way I see it, the wheel is moving up and down and in straight line there is very little tension on that nut.
    The only time when that nut can move is when you hit a big bump around a turn. This is when the wheel put a lot of pressure -in and out- on the a arms.
    Frankly, if I hit something that hard and something has to give up ???? I would prefer that the nut move in or out and all I have to do ,,, is another alignment.

8. May 27, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    i rolled my truck and it snapped the knuckle that the UCA ball joint was connected to, literally the entire weight of my truck rolled up onto the wheel and the ball joint did not slide out of alignment.

9. May 27, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    elwood

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    K/N cold air intake, leer cap, running boards, nose gaurd,E brake control, mud flap cut, suspension tsb, Rear diff breather mod,Factory Fog lights, Factory front diff cover
    That sounds impressive. I assume the truck you are refering to is the 1st gen in the picture. Are the arms for the 1st gen pretty similar to the arms for the 2nd gen? Adjustable ball joint and the slot for the camber?

10. May 27, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Nope that's it. In researching, I came across one guy who wasn't happy with LR UCAs because he kept losing his alignment while desert running, so he switched to Total Chaos. But he ran it pretty hard (jumping? not sure)

11. May 27, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    elwood

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    thanks Moose, did you set the camber before the alignment or did you do like in the video having the truck on the machine and then torque the bolt when it was at desired camber?

12. May 27, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    Yeah I'm guessing its almost the same with the slot to adjust the joint, I ran mine pretty hard out at table mesa and I haven't had an issue with the alignment at all I did torque the shit out of that nut when I got back from the alignment shop just because of that same reason but I'm very satisfied

13. May 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    virgil any time you change the camber it will effect caster and vise versa....
    i wheel the piss outa my truck and it never moved...
    not jumping but wheelin

14. May 27, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I had to do it twice (search thru my recent threads)

But for the one that stuck, ended up setting most of the camber up top.

15. May 27, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    virgilus11

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    Well guy's,,, thank you for the help ad wisdom.
    I took the liberty and adjusted the camber on the left side of my truck yesterday night by loosing up the nut and pushing in a little bit the wheel. I had a 0.5 positive and try to get it to 0*.
    Today ,, I went to Toyota and spent $99 for an alignment and the guy told me that- the alignment is fine and that the adjustment I made brought the camber to 0* only and the caster,toe is the same as it was last time.
    I don't know if this is pure luck but it worked. I would really like to hear it from Light Racing Manufacturer if this is some luck or not ??

Products Discussed in

To Top