LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

CV throwing grease... need advice

Old 05-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
JGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud of
JGJ's Tacoma Gallery
CV throwing grease... need advice

My passenger CV joint closest to the wheel is leaking its grease pretty bad. I'm not familiar with the procedures to fix this but wanting to get it resolved asap I called Toyota and told them the problem and next thing I know I'm spending $500 on a new CV axle.

Does this sound right? $500 to fix this problem?

I want to do it right the first time but not sure if I need the entire axle.

Here's what I got from Toyota. Please help.

Thanks so much.
Attached Thumbnails
CV throwing grease... need advice-dscn5097.jpg  
Old 05-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
You could take the truck in to the dealership and have them replace the boot. Yeah, $500.00 sounds right for a factory part.

EDIT: I wouldn't take it to the dealer though if I were you..
Old 05-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Don't take it to the dealer. You should be able to find somebody else to do it for half that. Try Big 10 or any private mechanic for that reason. What caused it to break in the first place?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
JGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud ofJGJ has much to be proud of
JGJ's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. It seemed everywhere else I was reading that the fix was not that big of a deal ($$$). Just wanted to make sure before I get into it.

So its a pretty easy install?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Here's a write up on how to swap the front diffs, it also covers how to remove and swap front axels.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...swap-ecgs.html
Wow. Great write up with details.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
JGJ's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the link. Exactly what I was looking for.

Toyota actually quoted me $350 for the labor but figured I'd just do it myself.

I have the OME with the 886 coils and I removed my heavy equipment up front (bumper, winch, etc) and was hoping the inevitable wouldnt happen. I put my stock bumper back on and kept running the 886 coils. Sure enough, my CVs couldn't handle the angle. I was hoping I wouldnt have to replace the coils. Thats gonna be a whole 'nother greasy weekend.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
JGJ's Tacoma Gallery
BTW - you guys rock. Thanks for the quick reply.