1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension shot. Need help putting together a list.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cmf21, May 28, 2011.

1. May 28, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    cmf21

cmf21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 dbl cab trd
    I have an 04 Tacoma dbl 4x4 trd with a Snugtop shell and have 75,000 miles on it. I bought this a little over 2 1/2 years ago knowing the suspension sucked but I had no money to replace it. Last year, my rear shocks started leaking so I replaced them with Bilstein 5125's (BE5-6252-H5 8" travel, & BE5-6253-H5 8.5" travel).

For the past week or so, I've had to empty a house for someone who is currently sitting in jail and had to pull a large and heavy 16' enclosed trailer around. My truck was pretty spongy and I was worried the whole time about possibly breaking something or making something worse. Luckly nothing happened.

I currently have enough money set aside to replace my whole suspension so I think it's time to do so. I would like to replace my tires and do the brake upgrade but might have to wait depending on what I spend. I want to do this right so I need all the help and suggestions you can give. I would like a small lift and gain extra hualing capacity. Nothing too wild. I live in a rural area with a lot of dirt roads with washboards and go hunting in the mountins.

I've been looking at getting the OME kit from Wheelers. It comes with rear shocks so should I replace my Bilsteins with the Ome's? What about getting that d6xl Extra leaf set that they sell. Will it give me too much of a rake? I don't want my leaf's to sag or anything with my shell or pulling a camper or trailer around. Looks like the kit doesn't include the rear brake proportioning valve relocate kit so I guess I need that too. Anything else?

What about just leaving my Bilsteins in the back and getting the dakars and extra leaf for the rear? Are the Bilsteins long enough? For the front maybe Ome 881's (are 882's too tall?) and some Bilsteins or the Ome shocks? Do I need uca's? Too many choices.

Any suggestions?

2. May 30, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    cmf21

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 dbl cab trd
    I'm probably going with the ome kit but I was wondering about the Dakar leafs that it comes with. If it lifts the rear 2.25", then there will be a little bit of a rack with the rear higher then the front with 881's. Is this correct? Also will adding the D6Xl leafs to the rear add any more lift? Are they really necessary. I have a shell and pull trailers around everyone in a while. Does anyone know how much weight carrying load the Dakars add and and DX6L's add?.

I'm trying to decide on what I need or might need. If I go with the ome kit, should I just replace the 5125's or what. I believe they have a little more travel. Not sure. Also do I need to replace my uca's up front with the 881's?

Anyone care to chime in.

3. May 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Lots of questions...

you will not need the UCAs and you will be happy with the OME equipment. I have it on my truck and am quite pleased, I do not know about the extra leaf pack that Wheelers sells for heavy loads, but if you call them tomorrow, you will find them very knowledgeable and helpful.

You can also call Downsouth Motorsports, they are really good as well and will get you what you need.

4. May 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    cmf21

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 dbl cab trd
    I'm planning on calling them tomorrow. It's hard trying to decide what to do. So many choices and so many things I would like to eventually do. I'm not going to be running any aftermarket bumpers, etc, for the time being. I just want a nice tight ride. I hope I'll have enough $$$ left to get some 265's and get rid of my p rated tires.

Products Discussed in

To Top