Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100 settings: 2.5" or 1.75"?

Old 05-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
zomg is a jewel in the roughzomg is a jewel in the roughzomg is a jewel in the rough

zomg's Tacoma Gallery
5100 settings: 2.5" or 1.75"?

All,
I have my 5100s, but I am not sure what setting to go with. I measured the clearance between the ground & wheel wells & I get:
DF=35"
DR=37 1/2"
PF=35"
PR=38"
I have read that I should set the 5100s to 1.75 to level a truck with the rear TSB & 2.5 would make it nose high without an AAL. But Is that correct, because the difference between front & rear now is 2.5" on the left & 3" on the right according to my measurements?

PS-Should I just max them at 2.5" with the intention of adding an AAL later? If so, what size AAL should I get, 1", 1.5", etc.?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
i never took any before or after measurments but i run the billies at 1.75 with rear tsb only and i think the truck is perfectly level. its what i would recomend if you do not intend to do an aal. also, there is a better chance for vibes and the need for new uca's if you go 2.5.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
zomg is a jewel in the roughzomg is a jewel in the roughzomg is a jewel in the rough

zomg's Tacoma Gallery
That's a good point. I risk death if I have to spend another $600-$800 on UCAs. And I'll pass on the possibility of vibes.

Also, I was looking at the shocks, and is the little adjustable clamp all that holds the spring plate on? It seems like a very week point, & I would have passed on the 5100s for this if it weren't for all the raving positive reviews on TW.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I got no issues with vibes with my 2.5" lift with stock UCA's... But iam also running OME 885s with OME struts.. So you should be fine with no vibration issues if you run the 5100s at 1.75. Hello from Kenner you should join us on cajun tacos on facebook, if you have a FB.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
I have mine set at 1.75 and I have 1.5" AAL and like the way it sits. The 5100's are a great choice would do it the same all over again. There should be no reason for concern on the design of having the clamp to adjust the level. Enjoy!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #6

zomg's Tacoma Gallery
How the hell do you move this clamp, anyway.

And, what's up from Metry. I stay away from FB, though.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
That's whats up. Im ready for that construction to be done with that new interchange around lakeside mall and the levee around the causeway.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #8

zomg's Tacoma Gallery
I hear you. I avoid that whole area at all costs.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
If i asked my dad for money, He'd knock me out
Bfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Bfoster133's Tacoma Gallery
pics!?

preferably 1.75 with the tsb
Old 06-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #10

zomg's Tacoma Gallery
Another stupid question. Do I absolutely need an alignment after the 5100s are installed? I don't have the time, tools, or knowledge to do the install myself, so I want to save as much cash as possible when paying a shop to do it.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you absolutely positively need an alignment after installing a front lift. If you're getting quotes from a shop - they're probably quoting that in their price - but you should double check.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
welcome from baton rouge! my 5100's are at 1.75" and i dont have any issues.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #13
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blang
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zomg View Post
All,
I have my 5100s, but I am not sure what setting to go with. I measured the clearance between the ground & wheel wells & I get:
DF=35"
DR=37 1/2"
PF=35"
PR=38"
I have read that I should set the 5100s to 1.75 to level a truck with the rear TSB & 2.5 would make it nose high without an AAL. But Is that correct, because the difference between front & rear now is 2.5" on the left & 3" on the right according to my measurements?

PS-Should I just max them at 2.5" with the intention of adding an AAL later? If so, what size AAL should I get, 1", 1.5", etc.?
dude, i love your signature hahaha
Old 06-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #14
ratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ratrod's Tacoma Gallery
I have mine set at 1.75 and sits about level. (0.5" low in back). But I have no aal or tsb. I asked the same question when I bought them. Here's the link. Others had 1.75 and no aal.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-any-pics.html

Now I want to go to 2.5". (note: I had vibe when I lifted but it was a 4x4 diff bearing prob. fixed under warranty.)
Old 06-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #16
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
technical service bulletin. Rear leafs can be changed by the dealer for a stiffer setup to improve handling of heavy loads. tons and tons of info on it here
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #17
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
technical service bulletin. Rear leafs can be changed by the dealer for a stiffer setup to improve handling of heavy loads. tons and tons of info on it here
Do you mean the 4th leaf? That came stock on mine. What lift would the 5th leaf give you?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #18

zomg's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, so $300+ for the install & alignment.

I had to use pliers to move the c clips. The meat hooks are too big for that precision stuff. They're good for smashing & breaking things. Typing, not so much (spell check has been good to me).
Old 06-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #19

zomg's Tacoma Gallery
Yay!!! Installed, & I'll post pics later.