Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear new shocks?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
lizard1 is on a distinguished road
lizard1's Tacoma Gallery
Rear new shocks?

Recently had installed Bilstein 5100 shocks (1.85) and the front is level w/rear - TSB. Original rear shocks have 59k miles on them - good condition, no issues. Some recommend replacing rear with new Bilsteins for an over-all quality ride.
Majority of driving is pavement and maybe once a month low key off road in the desert. Suggest replace them with new Bilstein or save money?

Will post photo once my daughter teaches me how!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard1 View Post
Recently had installed Bilstein 5100 shocks (1.85) and the front is level w/rear - TSB. Original rear shocks have 59k miles on them - good condition, no issues. Some recommend replacing rear with new Bilsteins for an over-all quality ride.
Majority of driving is pavement and maybe once a month low key off road in the desert. Suggest replace them with new Bilstein or save money?

Will post photo once my daughter teaches me how!
I have the 5100s in the rear and the ride is much smoother than stock.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
lizard1's Tacoma Gallery
Same shock as the front (5100) but not adjustable, correct?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard1 View Post
Same shock as the front (5100) but not adjustable, correct?
Well, not exactly the same. They are valved differently I'd imagine since the weight distribution and spring stiffness in the front and rear are different.

Bt yes they are the same model of shock.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
lizard1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your input. Your explanation pretty much confirmed what I've read and heard. Will order new rear shocks....Thanks