Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Question about OME coils

Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
Question about OME coils

Ok i am in need of help once again. it has finally come to be the time that i can afford to get rid of my cheap front spacer lift. I am wanting to go with OME Coils and shocks. the rear of my truck is currently sitting pretty high with the rear leaf tsb and toytec tsb AAL. the 3" spacer has the truck sitting very close to level. i want to keep it that way. if i run the 885's and ome shocks do i need to worry about the top plate spacer for the extra $60??? getting a lot of mixed answers on this so if anyone has an access cab prerunner that has done this their info would be fantastic. again i jsut want the front to sit as close to even with the rear as i can, no plans on adding a bumper or winch so i dont need the 886's i dont think.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I got 2 3/4" up front with the 885's / OME shocks without the top spacers on my DCLB 4x4
Old 05-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need the top plate spacer... Just stick with the OME struts and 885 coils.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
good deal. glad to hear that. are they that hard to put in... as in should i pay the extra to get them sent to me preassembled or just try to find a shop around my house taht is open on a saturday and have them do it??
Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I brought my struts to my friend that owns a shop. He has a real strut compressor (never use the hand held ones). I reused the top hat on my stock struts. They are easy to put in, just a bunch of unbolting and bolting. Even though i used an air gun and 2 floor jacks. If you got the tools it's a breeze.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
ive got the 3" tough country spacer in there now. put that in and cursed it good while doing it. fig this install will be very similar once the strut assembly gets done. just never taken struts all the way apart so didnt know how hard that part was or what going rate for a shop to do that was.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Just a thought you might not have considered , get them sent to you pre-assembled without the spacer , but with the longer top bolts , that way you can easily add a spacer later if you want to , this is what bjmoose did , and I wish I had done the same .
Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
Nothin
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Call around, at most it will be $60 to do both. It's worth every cent, and will save your life. I will never touch the hand held ones that you can rent at Auto Zone. Tell the shop mechanic you want to reuse the top hat and ask him to mark the driver and passenger side. Why i say this, is because the OME struts come with a small spacer to compensate for "taco lean" on the driver side.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
5MM TRIM PACKER
Old 05-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
Call around, at most it will be $60 to do both. It's worth every cent, and will save your life. I will never touch the hand held ones that you can rent at Auto Zone. Tell the shop mechanic you want to reuse the top hat and ask him to mark the driver and passenger side. Why i say this, is because the OME struts come with a small spacer to compensate for "taco lean" on the driver side.

i thought you had to purchase that trim packer seperately??? it comes with the coils?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by my08yoyo View Post
i thought you had to purchase that trim packer seperately??? it comes with the coils?
trim packer and driver side spacer are two different things. have to buy them separately to get them.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
o i thought the trim packer was the driver side spacer. if that isnt the driver side spacer then what is it? and are you saying that the driver side spacer is included?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
The OME trim packer is for correcting the taco lean , it goes on the driver's side shock where the lower spring perch sits .

It does not come with the coils
Old 05-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The OME trim packer is for correcting the taco lean , it goes on the driver's side shock where the lower spring perch sits .

It does not come with the coils

ok OZ so what you are saying is what i had originally thought. i need to factor that cost in to the price. and you say it goes on the bottom of the sping where the spring sets on the strut correct? not tryin to be a troll just gotta make sure i understand correctly. never learned names of stuff just learned what size socket fits what on the truck.

also what is the spacer that he is talking about?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok OZ so what you are saying is what i had originally thought. i need to factor that cost in to the price. and you say it goes on the bottom of the sping where the spring sets on the strut correct? not tryin to be a troll just gotta make sure i understand correctly. never learned names of stuff just learned what size socket fits what on the truck.

also what is the spacer that he is talking about?
Yes , with the OME shocks , the trim packer goes on the driver's side shock at the bottom , below the spring perch that the spring sits in .

I believe the trim packer for the Bilstein shocks goes at the top , perhaps this is where the confusion is coming into play .
Old 05-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #17
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
do the ome shocks come with the new bushings or do i need to buy those as well? the websites ive been pricing them on dont really tell me much or show any decent pics.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
do the ome shocks come with the new bushings or do i need to buy those as well? the websites ive been pricing them on dont really tell me much or show any decent pics.
The shocks come with everything needed to install them .
Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
thank goodness, i was beginning to think this project was gonna nickel and dime me to death. so it looks like all i need is the 885's the ome90000 shocks a trim packer and then stop by a shop when i get the front end torn apart and have them disassemble my old struts and coils and assemble the new ones, then pop them in and be on my way. thanks a lot OZ-T,Krimson,crf69, & andrew H. appreciate the help.