1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another Chapter in the Not so Typical - Typical Lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Nick54, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Jun 4, 2011 at 7:14 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    I am beginning to get frustrated! This is my third attempt as trying to get good alignment numbers since I installed my lift. A little history
    I got the rear leaf TSB done which resulted in about 1.5" lift in the rear. I then purchased 265/70/17 DuraTracs on Procomp 7033's with 4.75 backspacing - they rubbed the rear wells.

Next I purchased Bilsteins all around and set them at Zero, wraped them in Eibach coils and replaced the upper control arms with Light Racing UCA's set at the zero position which gives +2 deg. caster. This resulted in a 1.6 inch lift in front. Off to the alignment shop. I purchased a Firestone lifetime alignment and made an appointment. It didn't turn out so well and I don't have the numbers. So I then made a contact through TW and went for an alignment there. You can see the results here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/158739-dude-tim-alignment.html. After several ball joint position changes and realignments the readings speak for themselves. I just want to say that the tech worked very hard and long at trying to get things right and I appreciate his effort.

Yesterday I decided to rotate the ball joint further back toward the stock position selecting the "F" position which is -1.75 deg setting or +0.25 deg total arm + ball joint caster. The tires are still rubbing the rear of the well. The results of that alignment are posted.

Questions:
    Do I, as some suggested rotate the ball joint to the "G" -2.0 deg or zero degree total arm + ball joint caster position and try to align again?

Is there anyone in Ohio who has broad experience with this set up and alignment that would be willing to help?

I am open to any and almost all suggestions. Please weigh in if you can see any error in my approach to this or have any suggestions.

Thanks

6-4-11 Alignment.jpg

2. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    I think that you didn't need those LR UCAs at 1.6" and with the setting you have them at have way too much caster. I say put the ball joint setting on the furthest forward setting, or the one back from that (sorry, don't have my sheet in front of me). When I added my Eibachs to my 5100s set at 0.85 I ended up with 2.6" of lift, and was able to get my caster to about 2.0, so yours being at 1.6" on the neutral setting is overkill. When I added my LR UCAs on the neutral setting I was at almost the same caster you have, and it rubbed the back of the wheel well. I now have them set to 2.5 caster and it's perfect. Hopefully you can get things worked out. Let me know if you have any more ?

3. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I agree with Fabian , you could have skipped the LR UCA's in your case .

If you move them back to -2 or no additional caster , you should be able to get the alignment in spec with the stock adjustments

4. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown

stfu(jk)

5. Jun 4, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Ok guys "G" position which is -2.0 deg. or 0.0 ball joint position. I have this down to a 20 minute job, so I'll get it tomorrow after work and an alignment it shceduled for Wednesday.

6. Jun 4, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    What

7. Jun 4, 2011 at 3:23 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    IDK? I thought he was shootin for SNAFU. If not, maybe he'll chime back in and enlighten us.

Products Discussed in

To Top