1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

about to pull the trigger on a new lift and tire combo let me know what you think.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by stunt man hans, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Jun 4, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans [OP] DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    the part # is k5075 its a 3inch procomp lift kit and 4wheel parts online has it at a decent price. my question is will i need uca's to go along with this lift. i heard a few guys say they got more than 3inches out of this liftone guy said he got 4inches of lift!he had a double cab v6 i'm driving a 4cyl regular cab so i'm a little concerned about the need for uca's right off the bat. any advice or experience with this kit would be helpful as not a whole lot of guys are even running this kit on here. tire size is going to be 285-75r16 on the stock steelies.
    let me know what yall think. its very exciting, but i do not want to dick around here because i believe i'm going to try the install my self. fuel lines brake lines and i was wondering if anyone had first hand experience with this kit. i'm wondering if the coil springs come on the front shock or not.

2. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    I think that to get a really good alignment anything over 2.25" requires UCAs. Guys will say they got theirs in spec, but to get it back to what Toyota sets it at they are needed. I ended up with 2.6" with my lift, and got caster OK, but camber suffered a bit. I had about 2 caster, and 0.6 camber. It drive fine, but felt very light through the wheel, and it bothered me that the wheels where not straight when viewed from the front. The choice is yours, but I highly recommend UCAs at that height.

3. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Get the LR UCA's for your climate , they have a sealed ball joint

And yes , get them and install them at the same time as your lift

4. Jun 4, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i plan on adding a shell, and tire swing on a high clearance rear bumper for sure. i really like the arb bull or the all pro. not sure which one if any i would get. i ordered the lift today from 4 wheel parts. if i need to re gear i can handle that the 4cyl can move 33's ok to me, but i do think it is its limit. i was going to go down to a factory 16 inch rim so that i have more side wall and less rim i know it won't make much of a difference but i figured i would try. i also plan on disconnecting my sway bar as well as i have on order the all pro high clearance skid.

5. Jun 4, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    so the light racing uca. i was looking into the group buy for the down south motor sports uca how are these are these any better or worse than the light racing? btw thank you guy's for helping me out here with some of these questions i had. i really do need the help lol

6. Jun 4, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    Blacktacoma23

Blacktacoma23 If your tires don't rub you can fit bigger tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    6" BDS DB, 37", Dirt King, Total chaos UCA's w/ Heims, Fox c/o's, 4-banger fenders, 37" Nittos, 4.88 w/ rear ARB, AP Expos, 17x9 Method beadlocks, cab mount relocation, "Insain fab" tub, 5% tint, 10" Rockford Fosgates, Magnaflow 18" custom catback exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Gear bumper, Crown brake lines F/R
    I have this lift and love it!
    I run 295 70 17's (33.7x12) and just got new Total Chaos UCA's in the mail

7. Jun 4, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    light racing or down south motor sports uca's or any good choice that will lend to reliability and perform there job they are intended to without breaking the bank. i'm 4x4 but, i only really do light off roading as this truck is still under payments and it's my dd.

8. Jun 4, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    TheHansen

TheHansen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport
    dtrl mod Fog light mod Bed lights Under hood lights Rear window decals tint matched front windows Rear dif breather mod weathertech floor mats Bed mat Scan gauge 5100's and 885's lean spacer 1.5 in aal, 1" block and OME rear shocks Dynomax muffler (weld in) Truxedo lo pro qt bed cover Devil horn Emblem Plasti dip badges plasti dip radio plasti dip ac control all pro rear bumper with side pieces All pro front bumper All pro bolt on sliders illuminated 4x4 switch JBA long tube headers URD o2 Sim
    I've been asking myself this same question for a little while now, Personally i am going to be going with light racing ball joint upper control arms. Uni-balls have more maintenance and they don't hold up to salt that well (I don't know about the stainless uni-balls though they might handle the salt).

9. Jun 4, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i was not really aware that uca's required any real up keep. this just goes to show that i do not really have much of a clue i did check out light racing's website tonight and i noticed they fit my budget alot better than the group buy rate which i might not even make due to me having to sell my tires and wheels or just the tires to fund this lift lol. i have the procomp 3 inch lift on the way ordered it today. i know myself though and i know i will not have the will power to resist putting it on even if i do not have the uca's. i was told by the phone rep at 4x4parts online that the whole lift takes only about 2 hours to install once i get the coils put on the front shocks. he also said i should not need anything else ie uca's or diff drop because procomp designed the lift for the truck. to just bolt on and work. idk my own experience tells me when taking on a job like this things can and often do happen that the company who designed the parts you may be installing did not either care about think about or are just plain old weird.

10. Jun 4, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Isn't Procomp a drop bracket lift ?

11. Jun 4, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i feel like i'm preparing for the worst so when it get's here i can be relieved when it goes on nice and smooth. do i need to have the traction control recalibrated to function properly with the lift and larger tires? i'm not sure if i will be running my current procomp wheels which are 17 inches or going the stock 16 inch route. all i know is i'm absolutely getting 33inch tires. also where can i find the specs for tightening everything back down to factory spec with out buying the manual?

12. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i did not think the 3 inch was. i know the 6 inch is, but i thought the 3 inch was just the shocks front and rear the add a leaf and coils. lol it's obvious though i'm not the authority on the subject. in order to save money i was hoping to get by with out uca's at least right off the bat, but if you guy's are recomending them right away i will def take your advice. would the brake lines need modification or lengthening as well? i just want to be ready here, i don't mean to be annoying asking questions a lot of you guy's probably awnser 5 times a day for others. it's just i have owned 2 other truck and i loved them and hooked them up with some tasteful stuff, but i never got them lifted never had the spare scratch and it always kind of scared me i have heard some horror stories endless vibes and anomaly's of the strange sort. i just want to do it right, but i'm on a pretty strict budget.

13. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    ^^ what he said. i looked through your build and i called allpro and ordered the very last high clearance skid today lol then i ordered the lift. not trying to rip off your vibe here but man you really got a stellar looking truck! btw how are you running 35's? how much did you trim:eek: i did not think that tire size was a viable option for a three inch lift.

14. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I missed that you were going with the Procomp lift somehow , I'm not familiar with it .

15. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    haha now you have me thinking is it a drop bracket? idk either way as a preventive measure i do believe i'm going to call beefed taco to order a carrier bearing drop just in case i get anything weird going on. any one know about the brake lines? meaning would they need to be changed out for longer ones or modified in any way?or really any peripheral like that i will need to address before or during my install?

16. Jun 4, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    Blacktacoma23

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    6" BDS DB, 37", Dirt King, Total chaos UCA's w/ Heims, Fox c/o's, 4-banger fenders, 37" Nittos, 4.88 w/ rear ARB, AP Expos, 17x9 Method beadlocks, cab mount relocation, "Insain fab" tub, 5% tint, 10" Rockford Fosgates, Magnaflow 18" custom catback exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Gear bumper, Crown brake lines F/R
    Thanks!
    I usually never use my A/C and I plan to possibly re-gear down the road.

Nope, its just new struts, coils, rear AAL and shocks

-With the high clearance skid you know that you have to ditch your swaybar right?
    -I actually have 34's
    trimming pic's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Jun 4, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    yep i actually checked in on your build thread and found it. did removing the sway bar help with smoothing out the ride at all or did it just aid in articulation off road? dude i picked up the very last one from all pro lol 150$'s it seemed like a great price! did you have to do anything with your brake lines or recalibrate your traction control when you ran the 33's?

18. Jun 4, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    Blacktacoma23

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    Ditching the sway bar helped a ton in both areas both on and off road.
    no brake line or trac modifications for me.

Congrats on your purchase, $150 was a steal!

19. Jun 4, 2011 at 11:56 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i know right i heard him say that and i knew i was spending more money lol. i really wanted something more legit than the factory splash plate even the trd one is a joke imho. this all pro one sounds tough though it should do it's job for sure. how hard was it to remove the sway bar? i pretty sure it's straight forward, but since you have done it i just thought i would ask. so it helped out with the stiff ride some? thats the only negative i have heard from people who are running this kit and then some people don't really seem to care or even notice. idk i was expecting a really stiff legged ride i thought removing the sway bar might help out a bit it's good to know it will thanks:)

20. Jun 5, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    did you instal the lift yourself? haha if so how bad was that, minus having to compress the springs and assemble the coilovers. i'm def letting some one else do that part spring compressors just make me nervous. saw one slip years ago and i scared the shit out of me! i gotta say it again your truck is tit's!!!! seriously nice looking rig good job with it.

Products Discussed in

To Top