Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Upper control arm help please!

Old 06-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
adamv22 has a spectacular aura aboutadamv22 has a spectacular aura aboutadamv22 has a spectacular aura about

Marines: V22 Flightline Mech
Name: adam
adamv22's Tacoma Gallery
Upper control arm help please!

Im putting a small lift on my 06 tacoma, and ive been fighting for a day and a half on how to disconnect the upper control arm from the ball joint. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-05-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
jmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud ofjmdaniel has much to be proud of

Army:
jmdaniel's Tacoma Gallery
Two words: Pickle fork.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
N3ZAT will become famous soon enoughN3ZAT will become famous soon enough
Name: Charlie
N3ZAT's Tacoma Gallery
wack it wit hammer
Old 06-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you are replacing the UCA, there's no need.

Why are you trying to disconnect it
Old 06-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Wait - why are you trying to disconnect the UCA from the ball joint? That bad boy is pressed in there.

I think *MAYBE* what you mean is that you want to disconnect the ball joint from the spindle. In that case, you can use a pickle fork - but they're mostly designed to separate the ball joint when it's going to be replaced. Since you plant to reuse it, you may want to use a ball joint puller instead.

Some guys have success with a BFH (Big effin' Hammer) - if you do that, leave the castle nut over the end of the ball joint so you're not whacking on the threads.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Also - the alternative method for replacing the struts is removing the tie-rod end, instead of disconnecting the ball joint.

Again, you may want to use a puller.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If all you ar doing is isntalling a lift, then just remove the two bolts on the bottom of the lower ball joint. (17 or 19mm if i remember correclty). Once you remove thoes you can move the entire spindle out of the way and pull out the shock/spring assembly.

No need for disconnecting any ball joints, no pickle fork, no bullshit. Easy peasy.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
i wish i could offer help here. i'm about to under take this shit job next week some time. installing a lift and going with the light racing uca's. snap some pics during your removal man.
If you're just going to replace the UCAs then all you have to do is take the pin and nut off from the bottom of the ball joint and smack it off the UCA with a hammer or a pickle fork.

But loosen the main bolt of the UCA first and take off the bracket holding the lines onto the UCA.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
adamv22 has a spectacular aura aboutadamv22 has a spectacular aura aboutadamv22 has a spectacular aura about

adamv22's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to everybody that had some input it all helped i got the pickle fork and that got the tie rod end disconnected.. i found another option, if i remove the sway bar, i almost have enough room to slide the bottom end of the shock into place after the top 3 bolts are lined up, but now i need about one more inch before itll be in place.. FML
Old 06-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
You can always disconnect the lower ball joint from the spindle with the 2 bolts. Then get a cranking strap to bring the upper control arm down when you get the shock in. Had to do this for my dads truck....
Old 06-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #12

adamv22's Tacoma Gallery
thats the two bolts outside of the larger bold on the bottom correct?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamv22 View Post
Thanks to everybody that had some input it all helped i got the pickle fork and that got the tie rod end disconnected.. i found another option, if i remove the sway bar, i almost have enough room to slide the bottom end of the shock into place after the top 3 bolts are lined up, but now i need about one more inch before itll be in place.. FML
Need an inch...use your bottle jack. Works every time:

Old 06-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #14

adamv22's Tacoma Gallery
5 Hours and a smashed finger later, im done. thanks guys ill get some pics up sometime soon
Old 06-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Bad advice from every one. Next time use a ball joint seperator. Picklefork you have a possibility of damaging the boot, and whacking it with anything you'll surely damage somthing.
Everyone eh? You must not have read everyone's post then.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #18
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
I have ADDHDHDHD
Perhaps you should unplug your keyboard then.