Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to replace bushings???

Old 06-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
How to replace bushings???

What's the best way to replace the current bushing for the bigger one on the right?? These are from my 5150s, and i dont want to use a hammer or anything that'll damge the shocks/eyes.... Any tips? It's in there pretty tight...
Old 06-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Place it on some soft wood, lube it up, and hit it with a rubber mallet. Should pop right out. If it doesn't then use something to pull it through...like all-thread some washers and some nuts (home made press).
You're saying hit the actual shock? (On the edge of the eye) This won't damage the stem or anything if a rubber mallet is used?
Old 06-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Über Posre

NVM. The soft wood/rubber mallet worked great! Thanks, man. I guess I was just to scared to whack it... lol
Old 06-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I used a C clamp and a bolt to remove mine. i just put the bolt through the hole and put the C clamp right on the edge of the shock mount pressing the bolt. I took about three times because it slips off the mounts because of the angle but it works.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
No. Lube up the bushing with some soap and water then hit the bushing. Do not hit the eye at all.

Hell if your not going to re-use the bushing you could cut it out as well.....just don't mess the eye up while cutting it (don't cut all the way through).
Yeah I figured it out. I hit the bushing, it was half way out, put the new one on top, *whack*, replaced. Pretty easy once it was lubed up...
Old 06-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I used a C clamp and a bolt to remove mine. i just put the bolt through the hole and put the C clamp right on the edge of the shock mount pressing the bolt. I took about three times because it slips off the mounts because of the angle but it works.
Also a good idea! The rubber mallet was fast and easy. Thanks y'all!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
TacoSID138 is a jewel in the roughTacoSID138 is a jewel in the roughTacoSID138 is a jewel in the rough

EMS:
Name: steven
TacoSID138's Tacoma Gallery
Probably a stooopid question... But
why you switching out the bushings? Didn't you just receive the shocks?? (Wrote to you before in another thread)
Old 06-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSID138 View Post
Probably a stooopid question... But
why you switching out the bushings? Didn't you just receive the shocks?? (Wrote to you before in another thread)
Not stupid, man. The shocks actually came with the larger bushings in a little baggie. My shock mounts were to big for the bushings already in the eyes but the extra ones were the perfect size. I guess other trucks may have smaller shock mounts than our trucks...
Old 06-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
TacoSID138 is a jewel in the roughTacoSID138 is a jewel in the roughTacoSID138 is a jewel in the rough

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
Not stupid, man. The shocks actually came with the larger bushings in a little baggie. My shock mounts were to big for the bushings already in the eyes but the extra ones were the perfect size. I guess other trucks may have smaller shock mounts than our trucks...
Ohh ok cool thanks man. I received my kit a few days ago, and got those same bushings. I thought they were for the leaf springs, I haven't uncovered the eyes holes yet from them. By the way, for the front eye bolts. Did you reuse your old ones or get new ones??
Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
Über Posre

Quote:
Ohh ok cool thanks man. I received my kit a few days ago, and got those same bushings. I thought they were for the leaf springs, I haven't uncovered the eyes holes yet from them. By the way, for the front eye bolts. Did you reuse your old ones or get new ones??
Yeah, the leaf spring bushings are quite a bit bigger than the shock bushings.

Front eye bolts... on the shocks? or the leaf springs? I re-used all of my bolts for shcoks/leaf springs except for the u-bolts, because they were simply too short.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #11

EMS:
Yea for the leafs, oh ok. Hopefully ill have no problems with reusing all my bolts, except the u bolts .Cool thanks again.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #12
Über Posre

Quote:
Yea for the leafs, oh ok. Hopefully ill have no problems with reusing all my bolts, except the u bolts .Cool thanks again.
no problem