LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Do I want the Rear Leaf TSB if I'm going to install a 3" lift with an AAL rear?

Old 10-09-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
Bighit is on a distinguished road
Bighit's Tacoma Gallery
Do I want the Rear Leaf TSB if I'm going to install a 3" lift with an AAL rear?

I plan on installing a 3" lift with an add a leaf rear. I understand this will stiffen things up a bit. I was planning on taking my truck in about the Rear Leaf TSB first, but then I got to thinking that the two combined might lead to an overly stiff ride. What's the scoop?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
Just save yourself the money and just get the TSB done. It will give you a small lift in the rear. The old leaf pack is made up for 3 leafs, the new TSB leaf pack is 4.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
You want a 3" lift. Forget the tsb.You'll only get 1" w/that. You can get 2" aal for about $75-80. ToyTec carries them.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
Bighit is on a distinguished road
Bighit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
You want a 3" lift. Forget the tsb.You'll only get 1" w/that. You can get 2" aal for about $75-80. ToyTec carries them.
Right now my back end is definately too soft. I have bottomed coming out of parking lots and over speed bumps. So if I get the TSB first and then the full lift, I'll have a 3X2 lift which sounds pretty good to me, but it will have five leafs in back. Will it result in a rear end that is Too harsh. I'm definately going to get the 3" front, I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the back end.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neubs View Post
+1 Skip the TSB and just go with the AAL. Once you get the TSB done you can NOT go with an AAL for additional lift. Once the TSB is done, the only option for rear lift is a block, SuperSprings, Air Lift, of all new springs.
I have a question I have the new TSB springs and I am ready to put them on. I have the 3 leaf with an aaL right now so my question is I plan to tow a 14' 16' enclosed motorcycle trailer what would be best 4 pack with a block or 3 pack with aal. Its a truck so I am not concered about the ride.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighit View Post
Right now my back end is definately too soft. I have bottomed coming out of parking lots and over speed bumps. So if I get the TSB first and then the full lift, I'll have a 3X2 lift which sounds pretty good to me, but it will have five leafs in back. Will it result in a rear end that is Too harsh. I'm definately going to get the 3" front, I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the back end.
Quote:
+1 Skip the TSB and just go with the AAL. Once you get the TSB done you can NOT go with an AAL for additional lift. Once the TSB is done, the only option for rear lift is a block, SuperSprings, Air Lift, of all new springs.
Im running an AAL in my TSB spring pack and the ride is nice. Much better than it was with the 3 leaf pack. You can have a spring shop make an AAL for you to fit your spring rate.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #8
Sold my Tacoma. Goodbye TW.
Neubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Neubs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Im running an AAL in my TSB spring pack and the ride is nice. Much better than it was with the 3 leaf pack. You can have a spring shop make an AAL for you to fit your spring rate.
Wow, you had a custom AAL made? I have not seen anyone run an AAL with the TSB and have always been advised that you can not run an AAL with the TSB, or perhaps no one makes a AAL for the those who have had the TSB done? I know that ToyTec and most other vendors always advise no AAL with the TSB. However, my neighbor was telling me about a local custom spring shop that re-bends factory leafs to your desired spring rate and lift. Is this what you were referring to? Having a custom shop fab a AAL? I have not seen one available through common retailers. IE. ToyTec, Wheelers, etc.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #10
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Wow, you had a custom AAL made? I have not seen anyone run an AAL with the TSB and have always been advised that you can not run an AAL with the TSB, or perhaps no one makes a AAL for the those who have had the TSB done? I know that ToyTec and most other vendors always advise no AAL with the TSB. However, my neighbor was telling me about a local custom spring shop that re-bends factory leafs to your desired spring rate and lift. Is this what you were referring to? Having a custom shop fab a AAL? I have not seen one available through common retailers. IE. ToyTec, Wheelers, etc.
The only reason they say that you cant run an AAL with the TSB springs is because the AAL will contact the spring "clamp" in the rear. 2 ways to handle this: 1. cut the AAL about 1/2" shorter in the rear, or 2: turn the spring around. Personally, I only wanted 1" of lift on top of what the TSB spring pack gave. My Target lift in the rear was 1.75" - 2" lift. The TSB springs gave an initial 1.5" lift, and settled to just under an inch. I went to a spring shop and they weighed all 4 corners of the truck with me sitting in the cab, then we decided how much lift I wanted. They made a long AAL with a 1.25" initial lift as it would settle about 1/4 to 1/3 ". They put a little more arch into the driver side to account for the more weight on that side. The result is a 5 spring pack that will flex just like stock, and rides no different than the TSB springs alone, and the truck sits PERFECTLY level from side to side. Total lift gained with the TSB and the AAL is 2". I couldnt be happier. The price was around $60.00 for the AAL's which I think is a SMOKING deal, considering all the time that was put into it. Any local SPring shop can fo the same thing for ya, and thats what I recomend as the spring will be tailored to your truck.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
You can also remove the clamp in my case the offending one was the front and use an aftermarket clamp or use the clamp that comes with a AAL pac. with a AAL pac You are going to have a stiff assed road ride unless you remove the overload leaf. you can overcome the reduction in lift with a 1" billet block. your new pac will flex enough that this slim of a block wont be an issue. the other road has you purchasing a new set of cart springs preferable custom ones
You wont have a stiff road ride all the time. It depends on what kind of AAL you use. I have my OL still, and like mentioned many times, my ride is just like the factory TSB. For the blocks, when you say "Billet", your not meaning aluminum, right?
Old 10-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
So let me get this straight...If I want to get my 3" lift later down the road then I should not get the TSB done ???

Would the 3" Toytec lift be level? Would I just get the front if i already have the TSB?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
Sold my Tacoma. Goodbye TW.
Neubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Neubs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The only reason they say that you cant run an AAL with the TSB springs is because the AAL will contact the spring "clamp" in the rear. 2 ways to handle this: 1. cut the AAL about 1/2" shorter in the rear, or 2: turn the spring around. Personally, I only wanted 1" of lift on top of what the TSB spring pack gave. My Target lift in the rear was 1.75" - 2" lift. The TSB springs gave an initial 1.5" lift, and settled to just under an inch. I went to a spring shop and they weighed all 4 corners of the truck with me sitting in the cab, then we decided how much lift I wanted. They made a long AAL with a 1.25" initial lift as it would settle about 1/4 to 1/3 ". They put a little more arch into the driver side to account for the more weight on that side. The result is a 5 spring pack that will flex just like stock, and rides no different than the TSB springs alone, and the truck sits PERFECTLY level from side to side. Total lift gained with the TSB and the AAL is 2". I couldnt be happier. The price was around $60.00 for the AAL's which I think is a SMOKING deal, considering all the time that was put into it. Any local SPring shop can fo the same thing for ya, and thats what I recomend as the spring will be tailored to your truck.
Great post Chris! Thanks for the information! $60 is a smoking deal for custom leafs.

Products Discussed in this Thread