Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

11 Tacoma Prerunner lift questions, concerns and comments.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
PineappleGrenade is on a distinguished road

Name: Zach
PineappleGrenade's Tacoma Gallery
Red face 11 Tacoma Prerunner lift questions, concerns and comments.

Hello Everyone!

I have a few question about lifting my brand new Tacoma. I come from a Honda background, so this "leaf spring" thing seems to be throwing me off alittle. I have been on here reading everything I could find about lift kits so I think I have a pretty good idea of whats going on. First things first I have a 11' access cab prerunner V6. I belive I have picked out what parts I am looking for. But if anyone sees an issue I might run into with any of these parts feel free to comment. I am looking for a set-up that will be great for ON ROAD. This truck will not see any offroading at all. Also I am looking for a 3-4 inch lift. And I want to stay completely away from and Spacers, Leveling kits and AAL's. Here is what I have in mind so far:

Front:
-Camburg Lift spindles or Total Chaos Lift spindles
-OEM coil springs
-OEM upper control arms
-Bilstein Shocks set at 0 or .85
-Extended brake lines

Rear:
Update: Ordered All Pro Expo springs, brake lines, U bolt flip kit, Timbren Bump Stops, and Fox Adj. Res. Shocks

Spindles Pros/Cons

Camburg Pros:
- Camburg 4 inch of lift
- Camburg still mantains the factory sway bar
- Camburg is cheaper
- Made to use OEM upper control arm

Camburg Cons:
- Cost extra for brake lines
- Thick welds may have to be ground down to fit rotors

Total Chaos Pros:
- 3.5 inch of lift
- Have an overall nicer look then Camburg
- Comes with brake lines
- Made to use OEM upper control arm

Total Chaos Cons:
- Takes away factory sway bar
- EXPENSIVE
- Not as much front lift as Camburg
- EXPENSIVE

Questions:
- Do I need new upper control arms with spindles that are designed to keep the suspenstion geometry the same? If so I was leaning towards Light Racing or All-Pro
- Do I need new upgraded front coil springs?
- Will I notice a difference with the front sway bar removed?
- Is all this extra cost really better then just buying an Pro-Comp or OME complete shock and strut lift kit?

Again, this is my first truck and I want to lift it the right way the FIRST time! Thanks for all that have read and I look forward to what opinions are about this set-up!
Old 06-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #2

Noone can help?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #3

Still looking for feedback guys!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
dreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to behold

dreamnz's Tacoma Gallery
The spindles, 3inch leafs, and all will look much better than a procomp type lift that just lowers all the suspension, steering, etc points. With the spindles/leafs, you see the ground clearance and with other type it looks a little like a body lift (not quite that bad). On the other hand, the procomp style lift should be much cheaper. It's all in what you think looks right for the $.

If you went with spindles up front, you could probably just go with 2" blocks in the rear. Blocks aren't a good option if you go offroad, but for the street, why not? Also no, you don't need aftermarket UCAs if you stick close to the the 4" or so you get from the spindles and keep the geometry near stock. ...and your stock shocks/coils will work fine...or you can go with Bilstein 5100s under your stock coils. Either way, you can reuse the coils.

I'm in the middle of doing mine right now. I've got Deaver making me some leafs and Camburg is all set to install everything including the spindles (with sway bar). I tow with mine and don't do a lot of off roading so I needed springs that could handle heavy loads and I'll give up the off road advantages of no sway bar for the on road advantages of keeping it. It's a compromise, but it'll look good.

Anyways, that's my $.02
Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply! Good to know about the oem struts and upper control arms, will help alot to keep cost down. I looked into the deaver leafs, but their website wasnt vary user friendly. What rear shocks are you going with? Also thats sweet that you live close enough to camburg to get them to install their own product like that.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
dreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to behold

dreamnz's Tacoma Gallery
I'm doing Bilstein 5100s all around. The regular rear 5100s are only supposed to be used for up to 1.5" of additional lift. I hear you can really get more out of them, but I learned that there's a version of them made by Bilstein for RCD (Race Car Dynamics) that are good for 3-4". The p/n is BE5-B110-T5

The downside is that not many places carry them. I picked them up from Down South Motorsports.

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-51...ar-shocks.html
Old 06-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
sctrd09 will become famous soon enough
sctrd09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamnz View Post
I'm doing Bilstein 5100s all around. The regular rear 5100s are only supposed to be used for up to 1.5" of additional lift. I hear you can really get more out of them, but I learned that there's a version of them made by Bilstein for RCD (Race Car Dynamics) that are good for 3-4". The p/n is BE5-B110-T5

The downside is that not many places carry them. I picked them up from Down South Motorsports.

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-51...ar-shocks.html
Hey man i gotta question. I too am looking at doing a spindle lift on my 09 dc. If I were to get the rcd billy 3-4" would I need to do leafs too? Im thinking not but I am totally new to all this. And Im not going to be doing very much offroading at all.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #8

dreamnz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctrd09 View Post
Hey man i gotta question. I too am looking at doing a spindle lift on my 09 dc. If I were to get the rcd billy 3-4" would I need to do leafs too? Im thinking not but I am totally new to all this. And Im not going to be doing very much offroading at all.
Well, the billy 3-4" shocks wouldn't necessitate the new leafs, but if you did a spindle lift, you'd have to lift the rear as well. So, if you went with a +2" AAL or blocks with stock leafs, you'd be right on the edge there between standard billys and the 3-4" version. If you have TSB springs (generally about +1" over standard 3 leaf set) and added 2" AAL/blocks, you'd be at about a +3 setup.

Hope that helps...

Also, consider that 2" blocks will run around $150. Some Allpro +3" progressive leafs run around $375. If you have TSB springs, you could buy the Allpros, sell your TSBs for about $175 and it would cost you $200. So given the choice between $150 blocks vs $200 for new progressive 10 pack springs...

Good luck. I'm going for install on Tuesday. Can't wait. I'll post some pics.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
mxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
mxnborder's Tacoma Gallery
I dont see why you are wanting all that high-quality offroad equipment if you said you aren't taking it offroad at all? Spacers etc would be fine for on-road driving. .
If you want some blocks for the back i have some for $20
Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
mrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Single Anchor Single-Seat Master Race
mrw3685's Tacoma Gallery
I think people get stuff regardless of offside amount because they can afford to and because some prefer a non ghetto ride.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Get the spindles, your not going to be happy with any other set-up for your prerunner.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #12

yea, I think im sold on the spindles, but can make up my mind for the rear leafs. Was really looking into All Pro, but starting reading alot of bad reviews about sagging. Back to the drawing board I guess.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #13

Update: Ordered my rear lift today! I ended up ordering the All Pro Expo leaf pack rear suspension kit w/ Fox Adj Res. Shox from Curtis at All Pro. Comes with everything I need for the rear, just had to pay a little extra for the Timbren bump stops. The Leafs will not be back in stock until later this month, but no big deal since I do not have any other parts yet. Pretty excited to get the ball rolling on my lift kit! I also think I will be going with the Total Chaos Lift spindles OVER the Camburg. Just having a hard time finding a shop that seems legit that sells them.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
GOT INK?????
Inked Tacoma is a jewel in the roughInked Tacoma is a jewel in the roughInked Tacoma is a jewel in the roughInked Tacoma is a jewel in the rough

Name: J$
Inked Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to show you what it will look like........
Attached Thumbnails
11 Tacoma Prerunner lift questions, concerns and comments.-08-tacoma.jpg  
Old 07-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #15

Sweet man, is that the standard All pro leaf pack or the Expo?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #16
GOT INK?????
Inked Tacoma is a jewel in the roughInked Tacoma is a jewel in the roughInked Tacoma is a jewel in the roughInked Tacoma is a jewel in the rough

Name: J$
Inked Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineappleGrenade View Post
Sweet man, is that the standard All pro leaf pack or the Expo?
Yes it is.......
Old 07-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #17

So standard?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineappleGrenade View Post
- Is all this extra cost really better then just buying an Pro-Comp or OME complete shock and strut lift kit?
Going with a full 3+ inch OME or other coil lift would really cut down on your down travel, whereas the spindles will retain the travel. Someone else already posted the downside to the Pro-Comp drop-bracket lifts.

Hey, what size tires are you going to run?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #19

I seen a few guys running 285/75/17 that i really thought looked great, but i think i may go up a size or two from that.