1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AAL question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Superdavert, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Jun 16, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    Superdavert

Superdavert [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Athens, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport DC SB
    MB Legacy wheels 285/70 17 BFG KO2s ProComp 2" leveling kit, Foglight anytime mod, Sockmonkey TRD Sport bedside decals, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Toyota bed extender, Aries black nerf bars, Pop & Lock
    I thought I had my lift figured out. TW has just thrown me a curve ball. I was set on a toytec 1.5" AAL for the rear. Now I found out about Wheelers Off-road. They have a 1.5" progresive AAL. I know there are more leaves with a progressive, but what are the benefits of getting the progressive AAL over the one leaf AAL? I dont have the TSB.

2. Jun 16, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    facemob

facemob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    I dont have an exact answer but........ I just put the wheelers 3 leaf progressive on my 03. I also was going to use a standard 1 leaf AAL but after talking with wheelers i went with the 3 leaf for 2 reasons. 1. They said the ride is better with the 3 pack as opposed to the single aal and 2, i was replacing the u bolts anyway and the 3 leaf progressive come with new u bolts so all in all it was only $40 more for the 3 leaf. Like i said, i dont have an exact answer but you cant ask wheelers, they have an online chat option on their website, great service.
    However i haven't drove it yet to report any improvements ( waiting on a diff drop spacer). and i left my overload in because i figured there was no reason not to.

3. Jun 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You got it. One thing to note (and this could be for just the TSB leaf packs) the install is a little more involved with the 3-leaf. I had to cut off the stock leaf pack wraps prior to installing otherwise they would have rubbed where the AAL meets the existing leaf pack.

Otherwise, the 1.5" progressive AAL is awesome! It rides nice and smooth on the road and handles loads well. I left the factory overload in for heavier hauling also.

4. Jun 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM
    Superdavert

Superdavert [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Athens, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport DC SB
    MB Legacy wheels 285/70 17 BFG KO2s ProComp 2" leveling kit, Foglight anytime mod, Sockmonkey TRD Sport bedside decals, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Toyota bed extender, Aries black nerf bars, Pop & Lock
    Anyone else?

5. Jun 16, 2011 at 2:24 PM
    korslite

korslite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    My understanding in a nutshell: 3 thinner leaf springs will be more flexible than 1 thicker leaf that provides the same amount of lift. The additional flex of the progressive 3-leaf will result in a smoother ride than a single as well as more flex in the form of articulation if you are wheeling the truck. I went with the Wheelers 3-leaf as a temp rear lift for these reasons. So far I am pleased with the ride, at least it'll tie me over till funds are right for a new leaf pack.

6. Jun 16, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    freedomriding

freedomriding FREEDOMEDIA

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRDOR w/KDSS
    Eibach 2.0, STT PROs, Summit Dakars, JBA
    Go with the Toytec

7. Jun 17, 2011 at 4:50 AM
    elwood

elwood "Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    K/N cold air intake, leer cap, running boards, nose gaurd,E brake control, mud flap cut, suspension tsb, Rear diff breather mod,Factory Fog lights, Factory front diff cover
    I thought the 1.5 inch aal from toytec was for the tsb leaf's? The OP says he doesn't have the tsb. Would this make a difference??? Just an observation.

8. Jun 17, 2011 at 4:57 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I believe Toytec offers 2 AAL's, one for TSB leaf packs, one for non-TSB leafpacks.

9. Jun 17, 2011 at 5:08 AM
    JonnyBb

JonnyBb I have to return some videotapes

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro (upgrade from my 2nd gen)
    Work in progress, but mods so far; OTT 7.0 tune, 255/85/16 Falken WildPeak M/Ts
    Actually they sell the 1.5" for TSB, but they can also be installed on non-TSB leafs too. When I was shopping for AALs, I noticed that they state "Will also fit non TSB springs" in their product description. Not believing it, I even called toytec to confirm

FWIW, i have a non-TSB leaf and I went with the 3-leaf from wheelers. Got a true 1.5" with the overloads still in place. I have no regrets about spending the extra cash. Rides great. Can't speak personally to how it handles bed weight, but i have heard others say it works well.

Products Discussed in

To Top