Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Adding on a brush bumper and Winch. What does this mean for my suspension?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #21
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
I used to want a lift, but I've been talked out of it. I have so many other things I need my money for. Earlier it was mentioned that I could use 05+ Toyota coils...yay or nay?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #22
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MadMtnMikey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMay1 View Post
I used to want a lift, but I've been talked out of it. I have so many other things I need my money for. Earlier it was mentioned that I could use 05+ Toyota coils...yay or nay?
Don't know the specs, but since the curb weight of the model years aren't that far apart, my guess would be factory spring rate didn't change much if at all.

Another option, upgrade only the shocks, add a 1 inch spacer to compensate for the amount of drop caused by the additional weight. Ride quality will be shit though, but it'll be the cheapest cost.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #23
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMtnMikey View Post
Don't know the specs, but since the curb weight of the model years aren't that far apart, my guess would be factory spring rate didn't change much if at all.

Another option, upgrade only the shocks, add a 1 inch spacer to compensate for the amount of drop caused by the additional weight. Ride quality will be shit though, but it'll be the cheapest cost.
That's what I was thinking about the new gen springs. Would adding just some adjustable 5100's be up to the task of an extra 200 pounds?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #24
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMay1 View Post
That's what I was thinking about the new gen springs. Would adding just some adjustable 5100's be up to the task of an extra 200 pounds?
If you did that, it would be the same as the option I already threw out there.

Suspension 101...If you over dampen, you end up with a really rough ride. If you under dampen, you end up with a bouncy ride. Spring rate and dampening need to be closely matched, at least if you want the best ride possible.... A heavier vehicle needs a stiffer spring to reduce the possiblility of bottoming out, a stiffer spring recoils faster causing more bounce, dampening is the act of slowing down that recoil, also called rebound. Now I don't know all the ins and outs of truck suspensions as well as little sports cars, but I know the Eibach/5100 and 880/881/882 spring combo setups are pretty tried and true.... I haven't researched OME as much, but it sounds to me like the 880 with a paired shock would get you the closest to what you're looking for (no lift), you might even be fine with an 881 but either will still require an upgraded shock to maintain a nice ride.............. Now my brain hurts .... you're now armed with info, go think, ponder, and make a decision
Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #25

Quote:
If you did that, it would be the same as the option I already threw out there.

Suspension 101...If you over dampen, you end up with a really rough ride. If you under dampen, you end up with a bouncy ride. Spring rate and dampening need to be closely matched, at least if you want the best ride possible.... A heavier vehicle needs a stiffer spring to reduce the possiblility of bottoming out, a stiffer spring recoils faster causing more bounce, dampening is the act of slowing down that recoil, also called rebound. Now I don't know all the ins and outs of truck suspensions as well as little sports cars, but I know the Eibach/5100 and 880/881/882 spring combo setups are pretty tried and true.... I haven't researched OME as much, but it sounds to me like the 880 with a paired shock would get you the closest to what you're looking for (no lift), you might even be fine with an 881 but either will still require an upgraded shock to maintain a nice ride.............. Now my brain hurts .... you're now armed with info, go think, ponder, and make a decision
Wow. That's a lot of information! Thanks a bunch! Now I have some thinking to do...
Old 05-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #26
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually they are far enough apart that the 2nd gen springs would likely work well:

2001 Double Cab 4WD curb weight: 3705 lb
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ma_double_cab/
2005 Double Cab 4WD curb weight: 4155 lb

Given what we see with OME springs, the control arm motion ratios are probably very similar, too. (OME 883 is considered heavy-duty for 1st gen, standard duty for 2nd gen Tacos.)
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Actually they are far enough apart that the 2nd gen springs would likely work well:

Given what we see with OME springs, the control arm motion ratios are probably very similar, too. (OME 883 is considered heavy-duty for 1st gen, standard duty for 2nd gen Tacos.)
There's something else for me to think about! Thank you for the input!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post

oh ok... never checked, I didn't think they were that far apart. So they may give him what he's looking for. Then again, also remember he's adding weight specifically to one area, not throughout the vehicle. Won't know for sure unless he tries it or if someone else already has and speaks up. But hell, if he could find someone to just give him their old springs, it would be well worth a test run.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #29
mightytacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmightytacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmightytacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmightytacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmightytacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmightytacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmightytacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmightytacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmightytacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmightytacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmightytacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kelby
mightytacoman's Tacoma Gallery
here comes a long post

matthew. just came across this today, wanted to bring up a point about your 9000i winch the "i" is for integrated solenoid. ALOT of these bumpers dont work with that style winch. i was able to get a 8000i winch to work on my brute force fab bumper, but is pretty dam tight and had to remove what i think would be called the radiator support cross member. just some food for thought. it fit, but was not a simple bolt on. Contact Allpro and mention it to them, they should know. I have some stock coils laying around too. for an 09 access cab v6 off road aka progressive coils also have some coils sitting around for a 09 4 cyl. Not sure if they change them for v6 or 4cyl..So about the "no lift" lift you want, with that much weight up front, even stiff springs will sag some. get a touch of lift and lose it from adding the weight. seems like thats what would work for you.
look at post 7 on this thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...86-height.html
he is rocking 886 (very stiff) a winch and heavy armor and lost some if his lift requiring more lift to get back to where he was. hope this help wasnt to late. and sorry for the long post, to much coffee hehe