1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding on a brush bumper and Winch. What does this mean for my suspension?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Simone, Jun 16, 2011.

1. May 1, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    MatthewMay1

MatthewMay1 I'm an amateur professional.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    I used to want a lift, but I've been talked out of it. I have so many other things I need my money for. Earlier it was mentioned that I could use 05+ Toyota coils...yay or nay?

2. May 1, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    MadMtnMikey

MadMtnMikey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Don't know the specs, but since the curb weight of the model years aren't that far apart, my guess would be factory spring rate didn't change much if at all.

Another option, upgrade only the shocks, add a 1 inch spacer to compensate for the amount of drop caused by the additional weight. Ride quality will be shit though, but it'll be the cheapest cost.

3. May 1, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    MatthewMay1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    That's what I was thinking about the new gen springs. Would adding just some adjustable 5100's be up to the task of an extra 200 pounds?

4. May 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    MadMtnMikey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    If you did that, it would be the same as the option I already threw out there.

Suspension 101...If you over dampen, you end up with a really rough ride. If you under dampen, you end up with a bouncy ride. Spring rate and dampening need to be closely matched, at least if you want the best ride possible.... A heavier vehicle needs a stiffer spring to reduce the possiblility of bottoming out, a stiffer spring recoils faster causing more bounce, dampening is the act of slowing down that recoil, also called rebound. Now I don't know all the ins and outs of truck suspensions as well as little sports cars, but I know the Eibach/5100 and 880/881/882 spring combo setups are pretty tried and true.... I haven't researched OME as much, but it sounds to me like the 880 with a paired shock would get you the closest to what you're looking for (no lift), you might even be fine with an 881 but either will still require an upgraded shock to maintain a nice ride.............. Now my brain hurts :rolleyes:.... you're now armed with info, go think, ponder, and make a decision :drevil:

5. May 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    MatthewMay1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    Wow. That's a lot of information! Thanks a bunch! Now I have some thinking to do...

6. May 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Actually they are far enough apart that the 2nd gen springs would likely work well:

2001 Double Cab 4WD curb weight: 3705 lb
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/toyota/112_0101_2001_toyota_tacoma_double_cab/
    2005 Double Cab 4WD curb weight: 4155 lb

Given what we see with OME springs, the control arm motion ratios are probably very similar, too. (OME 883 is considered heavy-duty for 1st gen, standard duty for 2nd gen Tacos.)

7. May 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    MatthewMay1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    There's something else for me to think about! Thank you for the input!

8. May 2, 2013 at 4:29 AM
    MadMtnMikey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    oh ok... never checked, I didn't think they were that far apart. So they may give him what he's looking for. Then again, also remember he's adding weight specifically to one area, not throughout the vehicle. Won't know for sure unless he tries it or if someone else already has and speaks up. But hell, if he could find someone to just give him their old springs, it would be well worth a test run.

9. May 27, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    here comes a long post

matthew. just came across this today, wanted to bring up a point about your 9000i winch the "i" is for integrated solenoid. ALOT of these bumpers dont work with that style winch. i was able to get a 8000i winch to work on my brute force fab bumper, but is pretty dam tight and had to remove what i think would be called the radiator support cross member. just some food for thought. it fit, but was not a simple bolt on. Contact Allpro and mention it to them, they should know. I have some stock coils laying around too. for an 09 access cab v6 off road aka progressive coils also have some coils sitting around for a 09 4 cyl. Not sure if they change them for v6 or 4cyl..So about the "no lift" lift you want, with that much weight up front, even stiff springs will sag some. get a touch of lift and lose it from adding the weight. seems like thats what would work for you.
    look at post 7 on this thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/268871-arb-886-height.html
    he is rocking 886 (very stiff) a winch and heavy armor and lost some if his lift requiring more lift to get back to where he was. hope this help wasnt to late. and sorry for the long post, to much coffee hehe

10. May 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    MatthewMay1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    Thanks for the information! Not too late as I'm about to have to buy a new starter. That's going to hurt my bumper fund

Products Discussed in

To Top