Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Adding on a brush bumper and Winch. What does this mean for my suspension?

Old 06-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Simone is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Previous Army Medic - 10 Mtn Divison. Current Federal Fire Fighter Ft. Polk
Name: Nick
Simone's Tacoma Gallery
Adding on a brush bumper and Winch. What does this mean for my suspension?

I am currently in a 2010 Double Cab V6 TRD and have a noob question for you all powerful Taco wizards.

If I want to add on this bumper:
http://www.shrockworks.com/Toyota-Ta...-pr-16174.html
(Hint: 138 Pounds)

And this winch:
http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/XD9000.shtml
(Hint: 78 pounds)

For a grand total of 216 pounds added to the front of my truck, (minus the weight of the stock bumper)

My truck is a stock TRD model. Will I have to put on some stiffer suspension? If that is the case, I am a total reject newbie to suspension, so if you could spell out crayola style what exactly I'd have to do I would be eternally grateful.

I did try using the search function and just couldn't find what I am looking for. If this has been hashed through a few times just post the link and belittle me like a standardized whipping boy. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Just for the sake of your math: the stock bumper weighs about 5lbs.

As for the front, if you don't want it to sag down and ride worse, you'll need to get some aftermarket springs that are designed to handle a heavier weight.

As far as what springs: there are lots of options. Do you want to keep the stock height? keep stock struts? or just replace it all?

Probably the most common fix I see on here is folks getting Bilstein 1500s with a heavier spring. OLD Man Emu makes a nice front 3" lift with optional heavier springs. Then yo ucan get into the hihperformance/racing coilovers with a higher rate spring.

There is alot of info on here about this subject. Try to find rigs with a similar setup as the one you want, and see what they've done to handle the extra weight.

Either way, you won't be happy if you just stck with the stock front, weight wise.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Simone is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Previous Army Medic - 10 Mtn Divison. Current Federal Fire Fighter Ft. Polk
Name: Nick
Simone's Tacoma Gallery
I looked at Bilstein's website, did you mean 5100s and accidently type 1500s?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
Noticed this thread hasn't been posted in in years, but it goes along with my question. I have a stock 2001 TRD and I have a Warn XD9000i winch that I would like to put on an All Pro APEX front bumper that I'm dreaming of. What would be a good idea to do to my suspension to maintain stock ride height? The winch was my uncle's and he had it on an F-150 and he said that it completely destroyed his front suspension and tires because of the weight. I want to avoid that! Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
You want stock height? Use OME 880 springs (e.g. here) or stock springs from 2005+ TRD Off Road models.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
You want stock height? Use OME 880 springs (e.g. here) or stock springs from 2005+ TRD Off Road models.
Those would support the added weight without replacing the shocks? That winch is heavvvvvvvvy
Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
How much does your truck weigh, about 3500 lb? If 65% of that is on the front wheels, then about 2200 lb is currently being supported by your front shocks. Do you think another 200 lb would make that much of a difference? I think the bumper and winch together will cause the front end to drop maybe 0.7".

Of course, if your current shocks are already dead after 12 years, by all means replace them with OME Nitrochargers.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #8

Ah I just noticed that the bumper weighs 101 pounds and the winch 85. I just don't want to destroy the suspension and tires like my uncle did with his F-150. I would rather just replace the coils or shocks rather than both if that's possible. Idk which (coil or shock) would be better for handling the extra 200 pounds.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
In very simplified terms, coils determine ride height; shocks are there for damping (i.e. how much "pogo" action you get after hitting a bump).

You need the coils for sure. Upgraded shocks would be beneficial.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
881 and 883 lift coils need OME shocks. 880 does not. 880 provides about 1" of lift on a stock truck. Your front bumper and winch would weigh it down close to stock height.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #14
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MadMtnMikey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMay1 View Post
Will they be strong enough for a double cab?
I have a TrailGear Bumper = ~85lbs, plus an Engo 9000 Winch = ~80-90lbs. I run the Toytec Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks and my front end rides way better than it ever did stock.

You need to lose the mentality of running stock shocks, otherwise you'll feel like you're hopping down the road everytime you hit a bump.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMtnMikey View Post
I have a TrailGear Bumper = ~85lbs, plus an Engo 9000 Winch = ~80-90lbs. I run the Toytec Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks and my front end rides way better than it ever did stock.

You need to lose the mentality of running stock shocks, otherwise you'll feel like you're hopping down the road everytime you hit a bump.
Won't that set up give you a higher lift? I want to keep stock height
Old 05-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #16
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Won't that set up give you a higher lift? I want to keep stock height
They're adjustable, I have mine set to give lift.... Don't know if they give lift at zero or not. Same rule applies though regardless, even if you go with an 880, it'll be a stiffer spring handling more weight than stock.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #17

Quote:
They're adjustable, I have mine set to give lift.... Don't know if they give lift at zero or not. Same rule applies though regardless, even if you go with an 880, it'll be a stiffer spring handling more weight than stock.
I thought the Eibach coils on 5100's set at 0 gave something like 3" lift over stock. Now I know that the bumper and winch will pull it back down, but not 2-3".
Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #18

Quote:
I thought the Eibach coils on 5100's set at 0 gave something like 3" lift over stock. Now I know that the bumper and winch will pull it back down, but not 2-3".
No, mine are set at 1 or 2, can't remember now, I'd have to look.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #19

Quote:
No, mine are set at 1 or 2, can't remember now, I'd have to look.
That's just so much money for me! I don't have enough saved up for my bumper yet and I have a winch sitting in the garage with nothing to put it on and it's killing me!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #20

Quote:
That's just so much money for me! I don't have enough saved up for my bumper yet and I have a winch sitting in the garage with nothing to put it on and it's killing me!
The Eibachs are about the bare minimum you could go. They're progressive, but stiff enough when loaded down that they can handle the weight of an additional 180-200lbs, but like any other stiffer spring require additional dampening to prevent bouncing. If you're trying to set yourself up for future upgrades, you'd be wise to go with that setup, it'll save you money in the long run. I did not have my bumper and winch when I first installed my springs and shocks.

Edit: you can go with 880s and a cheaper shock. Think though, if down the road you want to get more lift, or the shocks don't last, you'll be spending money on the same components a second time around.