1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AfterMarket Coils, Why Such Short Life?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by tacomtn, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    tacomtn

tacomtn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    compared to factory shocks? I mean factory shocks dont require a yearly rebuild and last several thousand miles. Like with the Foxs, Icons and such, it's recommended to rebuild every yr or so. That's a lot of maintenance.

Of course factory shocks are not rebuildable but still, whats up with that? It's not like we're racing these trucks.

2. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    straycat241

straycat241 maXXXed out mid travel

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD off road 4x2
    airaid intake, jba headers, jba exhaust, DMZ enginecage, King 2.5 coilovers , 1.25camburg uca's, total chaos lca's, shock hoops with Icon 2.5 piggybacks, camburg 4.0 Spindles, Defined engineering SUA, King 2.5" Shocks w/Reservoir, King 2.5 Bumpstops,shocktacobumper,moto metal 951's, compartment locks, blackgrill,Glassworks fenders front and rear,ViS racing glass hood,PIAA 510s,hella 500's,black rebadge,fabtech spare tire holder,tailgate delete,mudflaps delete,cobra 19 ultra iii
    coilovers are better than the stock trd mushy shocks hands down. If your a on road driver some coilover may last 2 years between rebuilds due to the seals not having to work as hard keeping out a buch of dirt.

3. Jun 17, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Those high end shocks are built to maintain maximum performance. To keep this level of performance, parts wear out quicker and must be replaced. The stock shocks are built to last and their performance fades over time. Kinda like a race team rebuilding an engine after every race. Most engines last much longer but when you require that kind of output, you're gonna pay for it.

4. Jun 17, 2011 at 11:15 AM
    tacomtn

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    Oh yeah, for sure they're better performance wise but still. Every year???!!! That's a lot of maintenance to remove them, wait for the rebuild (unless you have the skills and tools to do them yourself), then reinstall. I might not lift my truck now with that kind of attention required. I dont have the time to be doing this every year and to be w/o transportation while it's being done. What do others do? Two cars, rent a car, walk/bicycle to work, or what?

I know mountain bikes and truck's suspensions are different but the rebuild and maintenance for cheap lower end suspensions are the same for the high end lines. Fox also makes mountain bikes suspension. And whether its their cheaper or higher end, rebuild/maintenance schedules are the same.

With these Kings, Foxs, etc., even if we're not racing them or wheeling every weekend, we still need to rebuild them that often? I guess its not necessarily how they're used, it's still the mileage and wear and tear?

5. Jun 17, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If you don't run them hard, you wouldn't have the same maintenance requirements. But if you're not going to use them for it's intended purpose, why spend that kind of money on a high end shock? I doubt everyone who buys high end shocks rebuilds them every year also. It would largely depend on usage. As far as lifting, you have other options. You could get a Bilstein or OME shock that would not have to be rebuilt and use that for your lift.

6. Jun 17, 2011 at 11:58 PM
    tacomtn

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    I guess with high performance, it does not mean durable. Factory TRD/Bilsteins shocks will probably last 70k-100k miles min, depending on use of course. Less with the aftermarket COs.

So with these I'd have to take them off, not have a driveable truck until Fox, Icon or whomever rebuilds them, reinstall, and maybe even realign again? Dang, bummer. I might just have to go OME, Toytec, or other lower-end suspension. But why do these last longer?

Products Discussed in

To Top