Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

AfterMarket Coils, Why Such Short Life?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
AfterMarket Coils, Why Such Short Life?

compared to factory shocks? I mean factory shocks dont require a yearly rebuild and last several thousand miles. Like with the Foxs, Icons and such, it's recommended to rebuild every yr or so. That's a lot of maintenance.

Of course factory shocks are not rebuildable but still, whats up with that? It's not like we're racing these trucks.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
maXXXed out mid travel
straycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: paul
straycat241's Tacoma Gallery
coilovers are better than the stock trd mushy shocks hands down. If your a on road driver some coilover may last 2 years between rebuilds due to the seals not having to work as hard keeping out a buch of dirt.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
compared to factory shocks? I mean factory shocks dont require a yearly rebuild and last several thousand miles. Like with the Foxs, Icons and such, it's recommended to rebuild every yr or so. That's a lot of maintenance.

Of course factory shocks are not rebuildable but still, whats up with that? It's not like we're racing these trucks.
Those high end shocks are built to maintain maximum performance. To keep this level of performance, parts wear out quicker and must be replaced. The stock shocks are built to last and their performance fades over time. Kinda like a race team rebuilding an engine after every race. Most engines last much longer but when you require that kind of output, you're gonna pay for it.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah, for sure they're better performance wise but still. Every year???!!! That's a lot of maintenance to remove them, wait for the rebuild (unless you have the skills and tools to do them yourself), then reinstall. I might not lift my truck now with that kind of attention required. I dont have the time to be doing this every year and to be w/o transportation while it's being done. What do others do? Two cars, rent a car, walk/bicycle to work, or what?

I know mountain bikes and truck's suspensions are different but the rebuild and maintenance for cheap lower end suspensions are the same for the high end lines. Fox also makes mountain bikes suspension. And whether its their cheaper or higher end, rebuild/maintenance schedules are the same.

With these Kings, Foxs, etc., even if we're not racing them or wheeling every weekend, we still need to rebuild them that often? I guess its not necessarily how they're used, it's still the mileage and wear and tear?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
Oh yeah, for sure they're better performance wise but still. Every year???!!! That's a lot of maintenance to remove them, wait for the rebuild (unless you have the skills and tools to do them yourself), then reinstall. I might not lift my truck now with that kind of attention required. I dont have the time to be doing this every year and to be w/o transportation while it's being done. What do others do? Two cars, rent a car, walk/bicycle to work, or what?

I know mountain bikes and truck's suspensions are different but the rebuild and maintenance for cheap lower end suspensions are the same for the high end lines. Fox also makes mountain bikes suspension. And whether its their cheaper or higher end, rebuild/maintenance schedules are the same.

With these Kings, Foxs, etc., even if we're not racing them or wheeling every weekend, we still need to rebuild them that often? I guess its not necessarily how they're used, it's still the mileage and wear and tear?
If you don't run them hard, you wouldn't have the same maintenance requirements. But if you're not going to use them for it's intended purpose, why spend that kind of money on a high end shock? I doubt everyone who buys high end shocks rebuilds them every year also. It would largely depend on usage. As far as lifting, you have other options. You could get a Bilstein or OME shock that would not have to be rebuilt and use that for your lift.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #6

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
I guess with high performance, it does not mean durable. Factory TRD/Bilsteins shocks will probably last 70k-100k miles min, depending on use of course. Less with the aftermarket COs.

So with these I'd have to take them off, not have a driveable truck until Fox, Icon or whomever rebuilds them, reinstall, and maybe even realign again? Dang, bummer. I might just have to go OME, Toytec, or other lower-end suspension. But why do these last longer?