Notices

looking to add a lift

Old 06-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
debuhr is on a distinguished road
EMS: EMT
debuhr's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to debuhr
looking to add a lift

hey ive got some questions about adding a lift kit to my 06 4wd tacoma. actually, i have no idea im doing so we can start there. i am looking to just add a small suspension lift. not much over 2in but enough to notice that its lifted. i am in the process of adding some bigger tires and i think it needs a lift to balance it out. ive dont some looking, but i really dont know what im looking for to be honest. if anyone has any info as far as what EXACTLY to look for online, that would be great
Old 06-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
wolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wolfdog2314's Tacoma Gallery
Your in the right place to be looking!

Use the search button on the site.

Search for bilstein 5100. You'll find a ton of info on them. Your best bet would be to get these. They are adjustable to a few different settings. The 1.75" option would be what u might want to do.

Stay away from any spacer lifts.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
debuhr's Tacoma Gallery
ok thanks. if you dont mind, just so i dont order the wrong thing...could you try to find a link to EXACTLY the ones i need to order (front and back)? i have found several different sites, but they all look different and they also have a bunch of numbers, settings, ect that i honestly dont really understand. im sorry to be asking so many questions but im not the most mechanically inclined person you will meet lol thanks for all of your help.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
trdtaco10 will become famous soon enough

trdtaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by debuhr View Post
ok thanks. if you dont mind, just so i dont order the wrong thing...could you try to find a link to EXACTLY the ones i need to order (front and back)? i have found several different sites, but they all look different and they also have a bunch of numbers, settings, ect that i honestly dont really understand. im sorry to be asking so many questions but im not the most mechanically inclined person you will meet lol thanks for all of your help.
Don't have the exact numbers for you but Downsouth Motorsports is the best place to get new 5100s. They won't send you the wrong thing. personally I have the 5100s and they are good but the ride is a little firm set at 1.75 so i am getting some OME coils (885s) and letting the springs do the lifting instead of compressing the coil with the shocks. I'm also getting an AAL to make 2.5-3 inches of lift. Do note however that you need new UCA's (upper control arms) to get your alignment back in spec if you go 2.5+. I would recommend a set of OME 884s and a set of 5100s to give a good ride along with that 1.5-2 inches you are looking for.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
debuhr's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so the coils are optional from what I understand?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, if you get the adjustable 5100s you won't need new coils. I would also check out Toytec Lifts
Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Yes they are but you will get a better ride if you let them do the lifting. The 5100s have better valving than the stock shocks/struts hence better ride yet again and they are a little longer than stock shocks so you can articulate better offroad. I would recommend saving a lil more money and getting both so you don't have to pay one on and then decide you want the other also and have to pay again to have then taken apart and put back together again.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
debuhr's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72. I found this on that website. It includes the springs you are talking about I think. Would this be the perfect one for my truck? And is the price right for what im buying?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #9

either that one with the setting on .85 or OME lift kit with 884s and a 1 1/2 inch AAL not the 2 inch unless you want factory rake or possibly more depending on settling. Like i said before anything over 2.5 up front and you need some expensive UCAs. The eibachs have to compress the coil to get the 2-2.5 inches it will provide hence rougher ride whereas the ome coils do all the lifting and aren't compressed. BTW you can't go any bigger than 265/75/R16 on the stock wheels without a 3 inch lift. someone correct me if I'm wrong but the only way to fit 285s is to remove the mudflaps and put on some wheel spacers.

...this gets to be a very expensive hobby quick lol
Old 06-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
"Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson
elwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Neal
elwood's Tacoma Gallery
Lift help

I think what you are trying to do is similar to what I did. These are a couple of threads for my research and installation.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...b-install.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ouble-cab.html

I too agree with having the coil lift the truck without preloading it (5100 set at other than 0) and an aal. No block and spacer. Even keeping around the 2.5 inch area of lift does not eliminate the possibility of UCA swap for alignment. It is all a matter of what you expect out of the truck and what you will live with.
Cheers and good luck
Old 06-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
debuhr's Tacoma Gallery
after looking and talking with some friends, i think i am going to go with this lift http://roughcountry.com/toyota_4wd_tacoma_3.html just wanted to check with everyone on here to make sure it looks like a good one? comments and suggestions?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
CristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant future

Name: Cristian
CristianTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
after looking and talking with some friends, i think i am going to go with this lift http://roughcountry.com/toyota_4wd_tacoma_3.html just wanted to check with everyone on here to make sure it looks like a good one? comments and suggestions?
Ehh.. I would rather go with the 5100's and the 885 coils for the front as mentioned before. I would stay away from the rear spacers and use add a leafs. I would rather spend more money now for something that will be better in the long run.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Tough to beat the price but you get what you pay for. Don't expect that kit to hold up to any serious off roading. I'd rather have the coils and an AAL doing the work vs spacers and blocks.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
you will regret going with that set up.... bilstein 5100s in the front, and a add a leaf in the rear.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
debuhr's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not really looking for an off road lift as much as just as lifting it for looks. Even with that being the case, I should still avoid that lift?
Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #16
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
Just get the 5100's from Downsouth Motorsports, and call it a day. You can get all 4 for $283! Set them at 1.75, or 2.5" in the front and they will ride better then a spacer lift. Throw in another $80 and get a 1.5"/ 2" AAL and you'll be gravy. From what you have said about wanting not much over 2" this would be a great way to go compared to that spacer lift. Set the fronts at 1.75", get a 1.5" AAL and it will look great and you won't need UCA's.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #17
debuhr's Tacoma Gallery
http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html

these shocks?
Old 06-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #18
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Blocks in the rear and spacers up front...will most likely ride like crap. 5100s all around and an AAL will be the best way to go for cheap.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #19
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You should call them to make sure and to get the TW discount.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #20
debuhr's Tacoma Gallery
do i just need front shocks or get all 4 5100's?