Notices

Alignment question after 3" lift

Old 06-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
thedude is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Lucas
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Alignment question after 3" lift

I just got a 3" OME lift installed. I did not get aftermarket UCA's and the shop said it aligned just fine. Do these numbers check out? Thanks

Old 06-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery

Before and After Alignment numbers
Old 06-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
They look acceptable. Caster isn't as important as camber & toe. As camber & toe being way off will wear your tires out and your truck will not track straight.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
LR UCA's add 2* of caster at their neutral setting

This would help you a lot

Also , have you looked to see if your alignment shop flattened your aligmnent tabs to get you extra caster ?
Old 06-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
LR UCA's add 2* of caster at their neutral setting

This would help you a lot

Also , have you looked to see if your alignment shop flattened your aligmnent tabs to get you extra caster ?
No I didn't check, don't know where the alignment tabs are? Hmm I'll have to pay attention to the wander when I drive on the highway to see how bad it is. Besides the wander the tires should wear evenly with these specs correct? So if I can live with the wander - no after aftermarket UCA's needed? I just don't want to spend the $500 or so unless I really need to. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
The alignment tabs are where the LCA attaches to the frame
Old 06-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
just spend the money and get the light racing upper control arms. I put a 3 " ome lift in my double cab and it drove me nuts, it just felt so weird at highway speeds . the LR UCA's made it feel like a new front end, best 500 bucks i ever spent. and for any offroading your front suspension will thank you
Old 06-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
just spend the money and get the light racing upper control arms. I put a 3 " ome lift in my double cab and it drove me nuts, it just felt so weird at highway speeds . the LR UCA's made it feel like a new front end, best 500 bucks i ever spent. and for any offroading your front suspension will thank you
Yes, I can tell it rides weird at hwy speeds. Feels like it's windy when there is no wind. I'm guessing I need another allignment when I get new UCA's installed?

The instal shop here isn't familier with aftermarket UCA's - they are pretty straightfoward to instal correct.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude View Post
Yes, I can tell it rides weird at hwy speeds. Feels like it's windy when there is no wind. I'm guessing I need another allignment when I get new UCA's installed?

The instal shop here isn't familier with aftermarket UCA's - they are pretty straightfoward to instal correct.
Yes , another alignment .

The UCA replacement is a straight swap , the only hard part can be getting the long UCA bolt out .
Old 06-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
They look like this:

Make sure yours don't look like this:

To avoid the wandering, you'll need new UCAs that provide additional caster. UCAs are a simple R&R, disconnect from spindle and coil bucket, and install new one.
Thanks for the info/pics - I remember him saying the caster couldn't be adjusted so I don't think they did anything but I'll check. Well I've already spent my a$$ on lift/tires/wheels why stop now - LR UCA's it is
Old 06-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, does 2.5 hours of labor ($160) seem like a fair price for instal on the LR UCA's? I don't have the tools/know how to do it myself.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Seems high but if you don't have the tools you gotta pay the price I guess. All you need are a few sockets, a pair of channel locks, and a jack which your truck already has. Why not try and do it yourself?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...w-install.html
Seemed a little high to me too, I would be surprised if it took somebody who knew what they were doing 2.5 hours but who knows.

It does look simple - the problem is every time I start a simple mechanical task it turns into a whole day thing - I suck I may ask a few guys at work if they can lend a hand, a case of beer is a lot cheaper than $160!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
I also did mine myself, and it wasn't that hard with hand tools and someone to help. I wish I could get something like that done here for $160...dealership/ places here quoted at least $500 Canadian. Told them F that and did it myself, just like my lift.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude View Post
I just don't want to spend the $500 or so unless I really need to.!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
the LR UCA's made it feel like a new front end, best 500 bucks i ever spent. and for any offroading your front suspension will thank you
I paid $400 shipped from fatbobsgarage a two weeks ago.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
Indeed, me too. Fat Bobs is THE place to get Light Racing UCA's.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, I talked to the shop today, he quoted two hours to be safe, he's never done it before - he's a trustworthy guy and will only charge me an hour if that's what it takes. He installed my whole OME lift for $260.

Yeah dude if he said anywhere near $500 even if Canadian (isn't our currency close now) That would be a no go.

I'm sure I could do it if I had the time, but right now my time is more important than the money. Thanks for the help and I will give Fat Bobs a call!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like all they did was set the toe. Camber could be better, and the caster is way too low.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #18
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
Indeed, me too. Fat Bobs is THE place to get Light Racing UCA's.
x2...mine should be here tomorrow
Old 06-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #19
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

Name: George
samsung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They look like this:

Make sure yours don't look like this:

To avoid the wandering, you'll need new UCAs that provide additional caster. UCAs are a simple R&R, disconnect from spindle and coil bucket, and install new one.
come on maan it's not that easy, you forgot to tell him that you have to bend the inner fender to remove the long bolt in the passanger side.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #20
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
come on maan it's not that easy, you forgot to tell him that you have to bend the inner fender to remove the long bolt in the passanger side.
or you can cut the head of the bolt off.