Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Upper strut mount stud replacement question

Old 06-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
The Happy Idiot is on a distinguished road

The Happy Idiot's Tacoma Gallery
Upper strut mount stud replacement question

I'm putting in a leveling spacer to correct a "bro lean". Do the old, shorter studs need to be pressed/drilled out or can I just bash them out with the spring still in place?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
The Happy Idiot is on a distinguished road

The Happy Idiot's Tacoma Gallery
I have the replacement studs. The spacer is the 10 mm Wheelers.com jobby. My biggest concern is, do I HAVE to compress the spring and take out the upper strut mount to get at the studs out and in, or can I remove the strut assembly, leave it intact and still get at the studs. I'm just not so comfy with the BS spring compressors AKA suicide sticks so I take 'em down to the local tire shop and they charge me $15 a pop. I wanna avoid both death and paying $15.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy Idiot View Post
I have the replacement studs. The spacer is the 10 mm Wheelers.com jobby. My biggest concern is, do I HAVE to compress the spring and take out the upper strut mount to get at the studs out and in, or can I remove the strut assembly, leave it intact and still get at the studs. I'm just not so comfy with the BS spring compressors AKA suicide sticks so I take 'em down to the local tire shop and they charge me $15 a pop. I wanna avoid both death and paying $15.
Yes, the assembly has to be taken apart. You will need a spring compressor.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
TBeers is on a distinguished road

TBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerSeth View Post
Yes, the assembly has to be taken apart. You will need a spring compressor.

I know this is an old tread, but I just bought a 1" spacer to get by with (new bigger tires) and need to get longer upper strut bolts too.

Or do I?... I was thinking about getting a 1" treaded sleeve to screw onto the existing stud and then with the remaining tread above the existing stud bolt on the treaded sleeve, bolt down into it from above. The question is does anyone sell such a treaded sleeve in the right tread and how strong is it. I would like grade 8.

Maybe I'm crazy, just and Idea to avoid breaking down my struts just to change my stud bolts to longer ones.

Anyone done this?