Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Coilover Confusion

Old 10-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
HI-TECH LIFTS
DAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant future
DAN LUSHER's Tacoma Gallery
Coilover Confusion

My shop over the last 8 years has specialized in mostly domestic truck suspension upgrades with a little dabbling into jeeps, we have vast knowledge in all aspects of lifting vehicles. I decided to purchase a 2009 Tacoma crew cab 4 by trd and lift her up, normally I go A MINIMUM OF 6 INCHES but opted not to butcher the frame until out of factory warranty. Money was not an issue so I ordered up NEW ICONS what nice units until it all went wrong. The installation was a cake walk I wanted 3.25 up front and aals and a 1 inch block in rear, we tried adjusting the collars with the supplied spanner up to max recommended 2 inch threaded space with allen set screws removed truck elevated on a lift, it took two people and a bar to move these collars marring them severly, these are ivd coated icons and not my first experience with coilovers, I have never had nor seen this type of difficulty. My only answer to this the ivd coating on the threads any input would be appreciated
Old 10-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN LUSHER View Post
My shop over the last 8 years has specialized in mostly domestic truck suspension upgrades with a little dabbling into jeeps, we have vast knowledge in all aspects of lifting vehicles. I decided to purchase a 2009 Tacoma crew cab 4 by trd and lift her up, normally I go A MINIMUM OF 6 INCHES but opted not to butcher the frame until out of factory warranty. Money was not an issue so I ordered up NEW ICONS what nice units until it all went wrong. The installation was a cake walk I wanted 3.25 up front and aals and a 1 inch block in rear, we tried adjusting the collars with the supplied spanner up to max recommended 2 inch threaded space with allen set screws removed truck elevated on a lift, it took two people and a bar to move these collars marring them severly, these are ivd coated icons and not my first experience with coilovers, I have never had nor seen this type of difficulty. My only answer to this the ivd coating on the threads any input would be appreciated
Welcome to Tacoma WOrld!
I have heard about the Icon coilovers being hard to adjust, and haveing a poor quality thread. Give them a call and see if they will help ya out.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
20taco07 has a spectacular aura about20taco07 has a spectacular aura about20taco07 has a spectacular aura about

20taco07's Tacoma Gallery
i have the same coil overs and it is a peice of cake to install and adjust the height. all you have to do is jack up the front end of the truck so the wheels are in the air to releive the extra pressure on the coil overs, loosen up the allen screw and use the wrench provided to lift it up. very easy to do.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
I really hope no one would try adjusting Coil over with load on them....
Becuase it sounds like you tried it that way...

Most Coliovers need to have all the load taken off...
Old 10-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN LUSHER View Post
we tried adjusting the collars with the supplied spanner up to max recommended 2 inch threaded space with allen set screws removed truck elevated on a lift,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermx5 View Post
I really hope no one would try adjusting Coil over with load on them....
Becuase it sounds like you tried it that way...

Most Coliovers need to have all the load taken off...
i think he had the load off of them
Old 10-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
HI-TECH LIFTS
DAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant future
Truck was elevated on a lift. I have been in business 10 yrs now and a master toyota, gm and ase meachanic for 23 yrs, if you have seen as much junk parts as i have you would have givin up. I loose 2k a month to bad parts or warranty of parts installed and failed. Whose to blame china and and poor quality control. Sometimes the best isnt all that it seems. Enough said thanks for your input.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
sooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nice
sooner02r1's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt it had anything to do with the threads binding like that, but 3.25" of lift is too much on those coilovers. The stock arms on the Taco do not work well at that height. You should look into Allied lift spindles and some aftermarket uniball upper control arms like Camburg or Total Chaos if you want that much lift. I would call up Icon to deal with the junk threads. Also I would run a whole new leaf pack in the rear instead of AAL if you really wanna do it right.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
HI-TECH LIFTS
Truck is equipped with light racing control arms , purely the case of over toleranced components , i know its hard to believe that something in this day and age could be falible.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20taco07 View Post
i have the same coil overs and it is a peice of cake to install and adjust the height. all you have to do is jack up the front end of the truck so the wheels are in the air to releive the extra pressure on the coil overs, loosen up the allen screw and use the wrench provided to lift it up. very easy to do.
Thanks, that's good to hear. I am going to be installing my rear lift soon and will be cranking up my front c/o another inch. I was wondering if I was going to need a spring compressor or not. Doesn't sound like it
Old 03-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
BUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BUZZ5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner02r1 View Post
I doubt it had anything to do with the threads binding like that, but 3.25" of lift is too much on those coilovers. The stock arms on the Taco do not work well at that height. You should look into Allied lift spindles and some aftermarket uniball upper control arms like Camburg or Total Chaos if you want that much lift. I would call up Icon to deal with the junk threads. Also I would run a whole new leaf pack in the rear instead of AAL if you really wanna do it right.
He said it was a 4x; the spindles won't work.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure the allen bolt is loose enough and spray some lubricant on it, otherwise completely remove all the pressure and unbolt the shock and drop the lower out completely than crank it down with the spanner.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
wow old ass thread