Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

installed billys 5100 now want more

Old 10-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
KaliTaco is on a distinguished road
KaliTaco's Tacoma Gallery
installed billys 5100 now want more

i just installed the front billys and set them at 2.5. but kinda wanna go higher. give me the full 3 inch! so what can i do?

set the billys to stock setting? and get ome 3 inch front coils?

if that is the case i just wasted 170 on the billys because the ome front coils will work for the stock shocks.

any other option that i probably missed?

toytec sell a 3/4 top front spacer kit...would that work. that would be 3 1/4 inch lift in the front. on stock shocks
Old 10-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
i just finished and its dark already. you know what time it is? ill upload some pics tomorrow. but i guess you dont have any kind of answer beside wanting to see pictures.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
get the ome coils. yes...they will work with the stock shocks....but, the 5100's will ride alot better.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
thanks for the reply. toytec 3/4 inch top plate spacer will not work right? billys adj 5100 recommand not to use with spacer but would it be a problem?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
or buck up and buy the coilovers for the 5100's from toytec. i think they're adjustable to 3-3.5".
Old 10-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
or buck up and buy the coilovers for the 5100's from toytec. i think they're adjustable to 3-3.5".
3-3.5" lift,Yes they are.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
sooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nice
sooner02r1's Tacoma Gallery
Get OME coils and run the bilsteins at the stock setting. Should be 3". Do NOT run spacers with the bilsteins. You didn't waste money, the stock shocks will ride like crap and will destroy themselves over time with the OME springs.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner02r1 View Post
Get OME coils and run the bilsteins at the stock setting. Should be 3". Do NOT run spacers with the bilsteins. You didn't waste money, the stock shocks will ride like crap and will destroy themselves over time with the OME springs.

The OME coils come with a top spacer plate.. are you talking about that spacer? or the 3" spacer lift?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
jjacks is on a distinguished road
Navy: Electrician
jjacks's Tacoma Gallery
quik one here... Do i need ucas after doin 5100's up front? Will I some day, because others on this site say that after so long your tire wear screws up. Am I completely off mark on this or what?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacks View Post
quik one here... Do i need ucas after doin 5100's up front? Will I some day, because others on this site say that after so long your tire wear screws up. Am I completely off mark on this or what?
you dont have to have uca's.....but they will help in getting your total alignment back to where it needs to be. i think they are a good idea.......damn...i need to save up for a pair!!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Yeah I would have to agree with tacomaman. I just got my TC UCS's the other day because I have heard from alot of people that after I put my lift kit on that the alignment wouldnt be right until I got some UCA's. They were a little pricy but lots of people said it would be worth it. I will have my lift on here in a few weeks so I'll post another thread when its ready and post some pics. You can check my profile to see what kind of setup I have and what I am going to get installed.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #14
bwhit is on a distinguished road
bwhit's Tacoma Gallery
i have the billy's set at 1.75, haven't had the alignment done yet cause i'm waiting on wheels and tires. Are UCA's necessary at this height????
Old 11-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhit View Post
i have the billy's set at 1.75, haven't had the alignment done yet cause i'm waiting on wheels and tires. Are UCA's necessary at this height????
At 1.75" lift, its a judgement call. See how your alignment numbers look, and how it drives.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #16
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
I was in the same boat as you, after having the 5100s for over a month I decided I wanted a little more. I just ordered a Toytec coilover conversion kit and some total chaos UCAs yesterday .
Old 11-28-2008, 10:04 PM   #17
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
The UCA's are an absolute MUST. Think about it you now have an additional 3" of lift on a ball joint that has been designed to run at a flat operating angle. Think about the droop travel, the reason for the aftermarket UCA's is to correct the improper ball joint angles associated with additional lift. Without the UCA's your stock BJ's are goinf to be toast. The real kicker is once a BJ goes, you cant replace just the BJ. They only offer a FULL REPLACEMENT UPPER ARM! Also stacking the Bilstiens with a spacer is a bad idea. Either way you go, new springs or a spacer its going to add a bunch of preload to the spring. The OME springs are made taller and with an additional 50lbs of spring rate I belive. Add that to a coil spacer that again adds preload to the equasion and what you get is a crappy ride. Best bet is to co with a adjustable coiul over that was designed with the adjustability to go 3" higher without adding too much preload.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:26 AM   #18
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
What up D/S? Thanks & Welcome to TW.Glad you're here.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #19
bwhit is on a distinguished road
bwhit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth Motorsports View Post
The UCA's are an absolute MUST. Think about it you now have an additional 3" of lift on a ball joint that has been designed to run at a flat operating angle. Think about the droop travel, the reason for the aftermarket UCA's is to correct the improper ball joint angles associated with additional lift. Without the UCA's your stock BJ's are goinf to be toast. The real kicker is once a BJ goes, you cant replace just the BJ. They only offer a FULL REPLACEMENT UPPER ARM! Also stacking the Bilstiens with a spacer is a bad idea. Either way you go, new springs or a spacer its going to add a bunch of preload to the spring. The OME springs are made taller and with an additional 50lbs of spring rate I belive. Add that to a coil spacer that again adds preload to the equasion and what you get is a crappy ride. Best bet is to co with a adjustable coiul over that was designed with the adjustability to go 3" higher without adding too much preload.
I just bought my 5100's from you guys, set them at 1.75. What do you think about UCA at this height??