Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Squeaky Front Suspension and Time for New Shocks

Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
mltitlntd is a glorious beacon of lightmltitlntd is a glorious beacon of lightmltitlntd is a glorious beacon of lightmltitlntd is a glorious beacon of lightmltitlntd is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Steven
mltitlntd's Tacoma Gallery
Squeaky Front Suspension and Time for New Shocks

I know there are a lot of posts on this subject, but every case is different , right?

I drive an all-stock 1999 Tacoma Extended Cab, 3.4L 4WD SR5 (NOT TRD) with Auto Tranny that I purchased in 2004 with about 90K miles on it. The truck has 164K miles on it now, and it is possible that the shocks are the originals. Lately, I have noticed my front suspension is squeaking a lot when I drive on New Orleans' bumpy streets. I have not been able to tell exactly where the squeaking is coming from, but it sounds metallic.

It is time (maybe WAY PAST time) to renew the shocks, and I am wondering a couple of things:
  1. Will swapping out the front shocks get rid of the squeaking?
  2. What shocks should I install to replace the current ones?

As I said, the truck is totally stock. The rear shocks even have the Toyota label on them, though it is possible they were changed by the dealer before I bought the truck. I rarely take the truck off road, though I hunt and occasionally travel on very poor roads. I also rarely buy the most expensive in things like shocks; a "middle of the road" selection is usually alright with me.

I am looking at the KYB gas-a-justs or monomax's for the 4WD (NOT TRD). Can anyone tell me the difference between these shocks? Is it the valving? Does KYB make decent shocks? Another thread I read recommended Doetsch-Tech 8000's for the rear.

I do not want to change the lift of the truck, and I do not want the ride to be "stiff". I pull a 19' bayboat, and I may end up selling the Taco and move up to a slightly heavier 1st gen Tundra or 2nd Gen Taco, so that's another reason not to spend a bunch.

Thanks for reading, and any input greatly appreciated!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Push down hard on the front and back of the truck. If the truck doesn't stop bouncing within a second or 3, you need shocks. If the shocks are leaking or are very rusty, it's time to replace them.
Factory, munroe, billsteins are fine for replacements.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
mltitlntd is a glorious beacon of lightmltitlntd is a glorious beacon of lightmltitlntd is a glorious beacon of lightmltitlntd is a glorious beacon of lightmltitlntd is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks Sky. I appreciate the suggestion
Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
tex41 will become famous soon enoughtex41 will become famous soon enough
Navy: PO2(SW/AW) Jack of all trades.
Name: Clint
tex41's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work Sky, that helped me out a lot too. My front end feels kinda stiff, and is not smooth after going over speed bumps / dips in the road. The shocks were replaced recently, but the ride still feels kinda stiff. I'll give the "shock test" a try when I get home. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Bad Shocks

I wanted to let y'all know it was the old shocks themselves that were squeaking. I bought a new set and installed them. This stopped the squeaking.