Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

4 leaf springs

Old 06-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
norge2000 is on a distinguished road
norge2000's Tacoma Gallery
4 leaf springs

Are the stock Toyota 4 leaf springs ok, or should I look at aftermarket. I am asking because when I load my truck up with 40# bags of mulch or top soil, I bottom out the suspension ater I get about 20-22 bags in the bed. I know Toyota has a TSB to replace the stock 3 leaf wit hthe 4 leaf, but is it worth trying to get Toyota to install the 4 leaf, or are they just as bad as the stock 3 leaf?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
If i asked my dad for money, He'd knock me out
Bfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Bfoster133's Tacoma Gallery
good question, ive *heard* that the 4 leaf helps alot, and im getting mine done soon, but you could get the tsb (free) and do an add a leaf (~$100) if it still doesnt help then upgrade
Old 06-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Dakars > 4 pack + AAL > 4 pack > 3 pack
Old 06-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster133 View Post
good question, ive *heard* that the 4 leaf helps alot, and im getting mine done soon, but you could get the tsb (free) and do an add a leaf (~$100) if it still doesnt help then upgrade
The 4-leaf pack is the TSB leaf pack.

I had the TSB pack and it still crapped out on me so I bought a new 4-leaf pack and put the Icon 3-leaf AAL in there to further help the cause.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
My truck still bottoms out with a slight load in the bed even with the TSB 4 leaf pack.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
The 4 leaf pack is satisfactory for most people but if you plan on hauling heavy loads on a consistent basis I would look at either a new leaf pack and/or airbags or at least the three leaf progressive setups you can buy.

I have the 4 leaf pack with an aal and I hauled 12 60# bags of concrete recently and it handled it pretty well but I was still kind of surprised at how flat the springs got. I haven't hauled my trailer loaded yet since I added the aal and the OME shocks so I am interested in seeing the outcome.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Mixed results with 4 pack leafs, personally I don't like the 4 packs for this reason, too many variables...some get the fix it provides others are still having issues, I like min. 5 leafs for springs..
Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Dakars > 4 pack + AAL > 4 pack > 3 pack

x2....

Dakars are the best, a little pricey but you will never bottom out again. I put an AAL in w/ the factory leaf pack. The AAL held up for less than a year before it 2 became weak/flat. I should have just spent the money on the Dakars in the first place. GL
Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
The Painter is on a distinguished road
Name: Tommy
The Painter's Tacoma Gallery
I just had mine replaced with the TSB 4 leaf springs this week. Initial impressions were great. Sat a little higher (maybe an inch and a half), didn't compress as much when I jumped in the back to unload gear etc. Seemed to ride a little stiffer, which seemed better for my taste.

Today I loaded it with 27 cinder blocks, (3) 60# bags of sand, (2) 50# bags.
It sagged noticeably. Seemed to ride OK, until I went over my first speed bump...fully bottomed out.

Not sure how the 3 leaf pack would've performed, but I'm assuming even worse.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
Cladman is on a distinguished road
Name: Derwin
Cladman's Tacoma Gallery
TSB rear leaf

I have recently hauled about 95 12x12 paver bricks and my DC ahndled it pretty wel although I didn,t have to travel far. The question I have is I only have the 3 pack (2 main + helper) with 2000 miles and mentioned to dealer and they said it didn,t apply to my 2010 DC. Should I call Toyota.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have recently hauled about 95 12x12 paver bricks and my DC ahndled it pretty wel although I didn,t have to travel far. The question I have is I only have the 3 pack (2 main + helper) with 2000 miles and mentioned to dealer and they said it didn,t apply to my 2010 DC. Should I call Toyota.
Is your vin listed on the TSB? Check to see if your truck qualifies. Don't rely on others to tell you if it does or doesn't.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
Cladman is on a distinguished road
Name: Derwin
Cladman's Tacoma Gallery
TSB

How do I check my vin to the TSB