1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering rack bushing check?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bearskill, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Oct 13, 2008 at 8:32 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    I have an 06 access cab prerunner sport. 3" lift running 33''s. When I hit a bump I feel a lose double bump in the steering weel. I have had the dealer look at it, they could't find or duplicate it. But I still feel it. Reading more threads I have found some people with the same prob as me. A lot of them are talking about steering rack bushings. How do I check/change the bushings and can I do it my self? Could my lift have caused the bushings to go bad? If you have insight, hook me up please!:D

2. Oct 14, 2008 at 1:18 AM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    Come on people! I can't just crawl under my truck and look for myself cause im deployed right now. My truck is 10,000 miles away in a storage unit. I just want to know what to look for when I get back.

3. Oct 14, 2008 at 4:07 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I didn't know the 2nd gen trucks had these problems....but I replaced my steering rack bushings on my 96.

If you jack up the front end and simply grab a wheel and shake it side to side (front / back - hard to explain). If your rack bushings are shot - you'll have some 'play'and you can actually peek your head underneath the truck and watch the entire rack move.

4. Oct 20, 2008 at 7:53 AM
    SRFIVE

SRFIVE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 SR5 AC
    There's that, but also check tie rod ends, ball joints, stabilizer links and steering column. My (1st gen) problem ended up being the steering column itself. It was loose where it has the collapsable hexagonal section was.

5. Oct 20, 2008 at 8:49 AM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    Well I had the dealership look at everything suspention wise. They said they couldn't find or duplicate the prob. But after talking with people, I think it is maybee something in my sterring collom. Thanks for the input.:D

Products Discussed in

To Top