Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Steering rack bushing check?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
Steering rack bushing check?

I have an 06 access cab prerunner sport. 3" lift running 33''s. When I hit a bump I feel a lose double bump in the steering weel. I have had the dealer look at it, they could't find or duplicate it. But I still feel it. Reading more threads I have found some people with the same prob as me. A lot of them are talking about steering rack bushings. How do I check/change the bushings and can I do it my self? Could my lift have caused the bushings to go bad? If you have insight, hook me up please!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't know the 2nd gen trucks had these problems....but I replaced my steering rack bushings on my 96.

If you jack up the front end and simply grab a wheel and shake it side to side (front / back - hard to explain). If your rack bushings are shot - you'll have some 'play'and you can actually peek your head underneath the truck and watch the entire rack move.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
SRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of light

SRFIVE's Tacoma Gallery
There's that, but also check tie rod ends, ball joints, stabilizer links and steering column. My (1st gen) problem ended up being the steering column itself. It was loose where it has the collapsable hexagonal section was.