1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

In need of a spanner wrench

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jobrien, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Jun 26, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    jobrien

jobrien [OP] shit happens then you die

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    Bed mat, cleats, scangauge, new headlight bulbs, weather techs, more to come
    Who in socal has a spanner wrench they are willing to let me borrow for possibly a weekend for my saw's 2.0 also anyone has a how to guide so i can change the springs out let me know ASAP!!!

2. Jun 26, 2011 at 3:25 PM
    jobrien

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    no one has one???

3. Jun 26, 2011 at 3:26 PM
    greenscreener

greenscreener Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    luis
    Norwalk, ca
    Vehicle:
    04 prerunner
    procomp aal, Saw 2.0 coilovers, Allpro bumper, Yakima roof rack, Method racing wheels, mostly debadged eeyore plush on the dash adds about 7hp so im told
    offroad engineering has them for 10 shipped if you select the next day shipping i believe it will be free last time i ordered from them it worked and got free shipping u will spend more than 10 driving to and from to borrow one hope this helps

http://www.offroad-engineering.com/20shspwrlra.html

4. Jun 26, 2011 at 3:30 PM
    jobrien

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    sweet thanks man do you have a how to for or know of one for the saw's on how to replace the springs

5. Jun 26, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    greenscreener

Member:
    First Name:
    luis
    Norwalk, ca
    Vehicle:
    04 prerunner
    procomp aal, Saw 2.0 coilovers, Allpro bumper, Yakima roof rack, Method racing wheels, mostly debadged eeyore plush on the dash adds about 7hp so im told
    not 100% sure im a noob but just take all the pre load from the spring by turning the adjustment ring with the spanner and if thats not enough u would need a spring compressor i think they run like 25 at autozone or rent one there :eek:

6. Jun 26, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    jobrien

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    yea i know that i just want to know if i gotta take the cap off to get the spring out? and if i do does it let all the gas out?

7. Jun 26, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    greenscreener

Member:
    First Name:
    luis
    Norwalk, ca
    Vehicle:
    04 prerunner
    if your running the old saw 2.0 like me you will not need to remove the cap
    [​IMG]

this is the top plate
    [​IMG]
    you would need to remove the top plate once the spring load is loose to do this you will need to hold the shaft with a good allen wrench it is inserted at the top and then with a crescent wrench dont know the size you remove the nut so that the spring comes out. when i bought these the guy rebuilt them for me and i saw him put them back together. see its the hole on top of the shaft put ur allen wrench in there so u can turn the nut
    [​IMG]

8. Jun 26, 2011 at 4:37 PM
    jobrien

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    no i got the new one i suppose the tightening is from top to bottom unlike yours which is bottom to top

9. Jun 26, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    greenscreener

Member:
    First Name:
    luis
    Norwalk, ca
    Vehicle:
    04 prerunner
    remove the tension and compress the spring if you have too then the cup at the bottom should just come off like on an rc car if there is enough room to move it up and out tap it up with a rubber mallet but i dont have these so dont know for sure but dont see how that wouldnt work sorry i tried

10. Jun 26, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    jobrien

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    which side are we talking about because im drawing a blank?

10_a8eb7831d1e9d4f60e9651a0959bc2605779d530.jpg

11. Jun 26, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    jobrien

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    so there is no official write up somewhere to get my springs and replacing them with my eibachs

12. Jun 26, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Those are like mine. Just back the collar all the way up to ease tension on the spring, then with a spring compressor compress the spring just enough to get it off that cone thing on the bottom: the cone thing has a big slit in it and just slides right out; once that is off, the coil just falls right off the bottom.

That cone thing is just held in place by pressure from the spring. But, it might be corroded on there or something, maybe some penetrant and arubber mallet if it doesn't come off easily.

DO NOT let the gas out of the shock unless you're going to refill it. And, you might as well ge the gas refilled while you have them off, if its never been done.

As for the spanner wrench, I have one made by MotionPro for my dirtbikes... fits the SAWs perfect. You should be able to find one that fits at any dirtbike shop as all dirtbikes require spanner wrenches for the shock.

13. Jun 27, 2011 at 12:15 AM
    jobrien

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    Thanks brother thats been the best advice ive gotten over this whole quest of being swayed and shocked

Products Discussed in

To Top