Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Input on spring "upgrade"

Old 06-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Input on spring "upgrade"

I've done some searching, but haven't found a definitive answer.

My current config is:
  • front 5100s at .85
  • stock SR5 springs
  • TSB rear springs
With this config I have the ride height and rake that I want. This is primarily a street truck and that's not changing in the foreseeable future.

I have been considering a spring upgrade, but I haven't seen anything that doesn't give me more lift than the .85 that I currently have. So, my question is, is there a spring upgrade that does not provide more than 1" of front lift, that is truely an upgrade from the SR5 springs?

I was looking at the Toytec Group Buy, but the specs on that one show the lift range as 1.5-3.0".
Old 06-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure, but what about the adjustable coil overs? I know they're expensive but they'd definitely be an ungrade.

Also, you should consider Eibach's. I've got 5100's at 0 with Eibach coils and love the ride. The problem is they are 1.5" lift coils so a little higher than you want to be... Also, your SR5 coils are the same as the TRD Sport coils, the TRD Sport just has a thicker sway bar.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Not sure, but what about the adjustable coil overs? I know they're expensive but they'd definitely be an ungrade.

Also, you should consider Eibach's. I've got 5100's at 0 with Eibach coils and love the ride. The problem is they are 1.5" lift coils so a little higher than you want to be... Also, your SR5 coils are the same as the TRD Sport coils, the TRD Sport just has a thicker sway bar.
The Group buy is for the adjustables, and they are 1.5 minimum. I really don't want any more than the .85, but would accept 1.0. As for the straight Eibachs, yes definitely have considered, but again, don't want 1.5.

I was also looking for comments on if any of these spring upgrades are actually going to be any better than my stock springs and 5100s/.85. I might just be looking for an improvement that just isn't there.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt go as far as adjustable coilovers cause thats just to expensive for what you want to do. To be honest, I havent heard of any other springs that would just give 1" of lift. But who knows, someone might chime in with an answer.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
I wouldnt go as far as adjustable coilovers cause thats just to expensive for what you want to do. To be honest, I havent heard of any other springs that would just give 1" of lift. But who knows, someone might chime in with an answer.
Only reason I was considering the adjustables was because the adjustable kit with the 5100s shows 1-3" lift, but the non-5100 kit shows 1.5-3.0". Thought if I could get it down to 1" of lift, may be a option,,, but yes, a more expensive one.

As for the 1" lift springs, yes sir, that's what I've seen also, but thought I'd ask just in case someone knows something new or different.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Only reason I was considering the adjustables was because the adjustable kit with the 5100s shows 1-3" lift, but the non-5100 kit shows 1.5-3.0". Thought if I could get it down to 1" of lift, may be a option,,, but yes, a more expensive one.

As for the 1" lift springs, yes sir, that's what I've seen also, but thought I'd ask just in case someone knows something new or different.
I'm curious to see if you find anything. I looked and looked for 1" or less 'upgrade' and finally ended up settling and going for the Eibachs. I also couldn't find anything to lift the rear just 1" besides blocks. Lowest was 1.5" AAL. Good luck!!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 AM   #7
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone else?
Old 06-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Rhum.
RugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-B
Name: Paul
RugbyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I think the 5100s with Eibach's is gonna be your best bet as far as spring upgrades go. You mite get a lil more than the 1" you want but consider that the springs will settle some on top of the fact that you have a DC and the slight extra weight(compared to a AC) will probably keep you closer to 1.25". i agree that adjustable coilovers are quite pricey for 1" of lift.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyTaco View Post
I think the 5100s with Eibach's is gonna be your best bet as far as spring upgrades go. You mite get a lil more than the 1" you want but consider that the springs will settle some on top of the fact that you have a DC and the slight extra weight(compared to a AC) will probably keep you closer to 1.25". i agree that adjustable coilovers are quite pricey for 1" of lift.
I've got the Eibachs on mine (DCSB) and I gained between 1.5 - 1.75" up front. I also have a steel brush guard hanging off the front and a shell with tools on the back so I wouldn't count on anything less than the 1.6" they claim. Not doubting they're a great option, but I wouldn't want the OP to get them thinking he'd only gain 1.25" and be pissed when he ends up closer to 2"
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe look out for some trd springs to pair witbh you 5100's. I thin k the sport ones ride smoother
Old 06-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #11
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
Maybe look out for some trd springs to pair witbh you 5100's. I thin k the sport ones ride smoother
Sport springs and SR5 springs are the same. Only the Off-road is different as it has a progressive spring.

It's looking like I'm SOL for what I want to do, but you never know til you ask. Thanks for all the input, think I'll be staying stock for now unless I decide I want more lift.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 AM   #12
Rhum.
RugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-B
Name: Paul
RugbyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I've got the Eibachs on mine (DCSB) and I gained between 1.5 - 1.75" up front. I also have a steel brush guard hanging off the front and a shell with tools on the back so I wouldn't count on anything less than the 1.6" they claim. Not doubting they're a great option, but I wouldn't want the OP to get them thinking he'd only gain 1.25" and be pissed when he ends up closer to 2"
What are your 5100s set at? 0 or .85? Maybe ive just seen alot of sagging eibachs or something